Widescreens On Handhelds

Are PSP style widescreens

• The future (We need to get with the times) + CPS2, Amiga, Movies, Apps need it etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, 320*240 forever - better for the old systems, MD, SNES, Atari etc.

• Widescreen if it's a laptop, 320*240 if it's a games system

• Total voters

craigix posted on Dec 9 2006 at 10:05 AM said:
CPS2 DOES use a widescreen display (384 x 224) and the amiga resolutions mean that when in overscan mode you can't see the whole screen, plus the amiga quite liked using around 480*220 for apps/ some games.

Even then: wow. CPS2 is really such a desired emulator platform. Amiga more that CPS2 obviously, but still: only 2 examples?

This is not enough to demand a requirement for widescreen. Most people who post here agree: 4:3, keep it 320x240 or get 640x480.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with DaveC too. I want a portable gaming device--not a movie player or word processing or something like that. Emulation should be given number one priority, and that simply works better on a 4:3. Not that I hate the video playback, but really, how many people watch full movies on their GP2X? I know the only times I use the video is for TV shows, which are also 4:3.

Second, even if you assume equal priority for both movie playback and emulation, I say emulation loses more going to widescreen than movie playback does going to 4:3. Heck, I've been watching movies at home in 4:3 for the last 20 years without any serious issue, while I can't stand distorted emu images. Watching a movie on your little GP2X screen is hardly a home theater experience that requires the authentic 16:9 feature film ratio.

I agree with DaveC. A 480 x 272 LCD would be a huge mistake for emulation.

craigix: Can you post what the cost is for:

1. 320x240 LCD
2. 480x272 LCD
3. 640x480 LCD
4. Any other LCDs you deem a consideration.

I suspect for a GP2X or future handheld people would be willing to pay a bit more for an LCD better suited to emulation.

i like big screens and i can not lie,
you other brothers can't deny,
that when a console walks in with an itty bitty case,
and a wide thing in your face,
you get sprung..

anyway, last week i tried pspuae (psp 16:9) and i must admit, i loved the way the whole overscan screen fit with the power/drive leds etc on the left..

we could use the leftover pixels (480-320 = 160 and 272-240 = 32) for say, current fps/current loaded image file, options etc etc ..

is it a must? no.. but i would love to have a widescreen gp2x..
(i watch a lot of movies on my gp2x even though i have a 16:9 pmp)

but hey, that's just me.

Another question could be are people going to buy the next one if it's basically the same thing but a bit more powerful so you can get slightly better SNES emulation? I know I wouldn't.. I'm pretty happy with the GP2x, if I'm going to buy the next 'version' there needs to be more incentive than that.

subcon959 posted on Dec 9 2006 at 05:19 PM said:
Another question could be are people going to buy the next one if it's basically the same thing but a bit more powerful so you can get slightly better SNES emulation? I know I wouldn't.. I'm pretty happy with the GP2x, if I'm going to buy the next 'version' there needs to be more incentive than that.

this post wasn't about the gp3x, just screens. IIRC, craigix said that the earliest we would see a new version is 2008, and that would be early, and is definitely not a scheduled date.

back to screens, i agree with DaveC. more important than resolution is quality, to me at least. i am happy as long as it isn't covered in dead pixels, scanlines, or uneven lighting.

I WOULD like the higher resolution, because NOT everybody is interested in using the GP2X solely for EMULATORS. I personally would LOVE to give the X server a bit more space and for HOMEBREW games, the extra space would be great (a game I'm working on now would be much better with a higher horizontal resolution). I also LIKE to watch videos on the GP2X and I happen to REALLY like scaled images in emulators.

Maybe some people would like to consider that THEY aren't the only ones who use the GP2X and different people have DIFFERENT preferences? The stick spoils emulation on the GP2X for me, but I do like the GP2X for other things! I DON'T see what the problem is with a bit of blank space around emulators - it could be used for a SGB-style border if people REALLY feel the need to use ALL of the screen.

Orkie posted on Dec 9 2006 at 06:18 PM said:
I WOULD like the higher resolution, because NOT everybody is interested in using the GP2X solely for EMULATORS. I personally would LOVE to give the X server a bit more space and for HOMEBREW games, the extra space would be great (a game I'm working on now would be much better with a higher horizontal resolution). I also LIKE to watch videos on the GP2X and I happen to REALLY like scaled images in emulators.

Maybe some people would like to consider that THEY aren't the only ones who use the GP2X and different people have DIFFERENT preferences? The stick spoils emulation on the GP2X for me, but I do like the GP2X for other things! I DON'T see what the problem is with a bit of blank space around emulators - it could be used for a SGB-style border if people REALLY feel the need to use ALL of the screen.

That is you.

You are in the minority. Most of us like emulation and PC ports along with homebrew. As I said more resolution would not be a problem if it was an even pixel double factor like 640 x 480. 480 x 272 is an awful resolution to try to match.

I don't see how anyone could like distorted blurry scaling either when you could have a sharper un-distorted image, that makes no sense.

I see the problem with huge borders because that would result in an image MUCH smaller than what we have now. I don't think we all want smaller images for emus. I don't know how many times I need to say that before it soaks in. Why go back? Just to get some stupid X server that only .01 % of the linux geeks will like?

So yes more res would be ok if it makes sense. 480 x 272 makes no sense for a device like this.

craigix posted on Dec 9 2006 at 03:05 PM said:
CPS2 DOES use a widescreen display (384 x 224) and the amiga resolutions mean that when in overscan mode you can't see the whole screen, plus the amiga quite liked using around 480*220 for apps/ some games.

So we want to make everything else look like shit just for CPS and a few Amiga apps? Doesn't sound like a worthwhile tradeoff to me.

Those would all have to be scaled vertically to 272 making it look shitty anyway.

Since this this thing would be a way off I say if you aren't going to do 320 x 240 go with 640 x 480 when it gets cheaper. It is even higher res for your movie crowd and allows a better multiple for even doubling in emus. No 480 x 272, that just sucks.

subcon959 posted on Dec 9 2006 at 05:19 PM said:

That's a very good point. The next version would need to be 3D/analogue based to make much difference and, frankly, I'd rather stick with the GP2X. A touchscreen version would be very interesting, though...

DaveC posted on Dec 9 2006 at 07:34 PM said:
Just to get some stupid X server that only .01 % of the linux geeks will like?
And that pretty much sums you and your contributions up doesn't it?

NOT EVERYBODY AGREES WITH YOU AND NOT EVERYBODY IS INTERESTED IN USING THE GP2X FOR THE SAME THINGS AS YOU! I don't know how many times I need to say that before it soaks in.

HEY GUYS, I'M A GURU WHICH GIVES ME THE RIGHT TO BE A TROLL AND ANNOY EVERYBODY (EVEN EPICENTER) AND BE STUPID IN GENERAL.

I think the current resolution is fine. Increasing it will just make the machine bigger than needed.

The screen should always have a 4:3 ratio, for it's the best general purpose ratio, and thus a console's screen resolution should be 320x240 or 640x480. If you disagree with me you're a retard :)

Someday 640x480 3.5" LCDs will be affordable, but for now companies are stuck with either 320x240 or similar, or ???x272 widescreen.

And I have chosen to ignore DaveC, I suggest you do the same :)

Honestly though... let's keep things simple... stay with 320x240, even in 2008, you really don't need anything bigger, what good are pin-point pixels if the human eye cannot see them? Not everyone has perfect vision, and even if they did such a fine resolution in a 3.5" screen would be a WASTE.

- Alex

Orkie posted on Dec 9 2006 at 08:33 PM said:
DaveC posted on Dec 9 2006 at 07:34 PM said:
Just to get some stupid X server that only .01 % of the linux geeks will like?
And that pretty much sums you and your contributions up doesn't it?

NOT EVERYBODY AGREES WITH YOU AND NOT EVERYBODY IS INTERESTED IN USING THE GP2X FOR THE SAME THINGS AS YOU! I don't know how many times I need to say that before it soaks in.

the gp2x should appeal to the majority of the community it has. when it comes to the gp2x community, you are the minority. what would be good about appealing to people that desire the same things you do? there are other portables out there, check those out. and lets not get rude, caps lock is not needed.

I didn't read the thread but what a weird poll... 320*240 is the past, future handhelds need 480*320 or 640*480. Those two ratios, 3:2 and 4:3, are ideal in my opinion. Emulation works well with them but what's more important, they work well for all kinds of new games, too. Anything wider than 3:2 is too wide in my opinion. I don't really like widescreen movies, either. However, since they are standard, a 3:2 screen is probably the best compromise because it can display both 4:3 and 16:9 or 16:10 without overly huge black bars.

Is everyone pms'ing lately or what?

Anyway, just because emulation might be the main application of the GP2x doesn't mean it has to be for the GP3x.

thejoeandchip posted on Dec 9 2006 at 10:09 PM said:
there are other portables out there, check those out. and lets not get rude, caps lock is not needed.
Why don't you tell DaveC the same thing - I did actually put quite a bit of work into that X server and the last time I looked, DaveC had released... nothing whatsoever.

Back