Why Taking A Breath Is A Good Thing

realyst

Website
real-ism.com
I've come across some economic complications making my getting one of the first batch unlikely. Though I doubt the 'instant sell-out' theory stuck in everyone's head will be quite so dramatic, even if it did sell out before I got one, that means one thing: it sold well.

That means there's likely to be a second batch(also, craig&co will likely be happy). That should give everyone some time to collect themselves and read up on reviews and see how well it works for everyone else before getting one.

As much as :pandora1: looks awesome, I figure we should keep a cool head and not turn into freakishly dedicated, impatient, logicless beings with their wallets out(or even worse....Apple fanboys!)

Craig said the dam opens up on the 30th. Let's enjoy the launch for what it is, have some fun in the meantime, and act our ages. Fanboy-ism is never flattering(it's sorta like the overly drunk friend, though while it can occasionally suck for him the morning after, it takes a lot longer before he sobers up and gets off your couch).

Apologies if I sound a little preachy. I'm usually very preachy ;)

I couldn't agree with you more. I personally still got allot of things to set up for development on the platform. I would suggest all those who's willing to wait, or miss out on the preorders, to go ahead and purchase the Wiz when if comes out (I'm guessing it'll be released maybe a week or so ahead of the Pandora in November). For the price of a DS and a game, it seems like it would be a great additional platform to get and probably easier introduction into programming embedded hardware.

What a sensible and level-headed post - good stuff, realyst, kudos to you. :)

I agree also, for what it's worth. I mean, even if some freakish mega-sellout event does somehow occur and I end up having to wait, I won't be bothered by it, as such a thing would clearly guarantee the system's future. :p

I've been thinking about this too. If it sells out that means a second batch, if not... then I can get one from the first batch. Either way I get a pandora. Although I hope it sells out becasue its going to be a great system. :)

I agree. I've been almost embarassed to lurk here watching all the rabid fanboys just desperate to throw money at something they haven't really seen much of yet. I'm just as excited as everyone else but it's like being in a school playground at the minute.

...and threads like the 'will the second batch of Pandora units be different?' one are just cringeworthy. Seriously.

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.

Well, see it like that:
If it will instantly sell out, there wil be a bigger 2nd batch for sure.

If we only sell 100 units, there won't be another batch.

So: Be happy if it instantly sells out :D

EvilDragon said:
Well, see it like that:

I'll be even happier if i'm one of the people making it sell out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one here excited about this forum being "like a school playground" at the moment?!!!

If people want to get over-excited, let it happen, it's all good! I was going to wait for the second batch but I managed to sell me GP2X quick and can't wait to get my hands on one, now I'm going outside to play Bulldog and some conkers.........

Nick 'Schoolboy' Lo Turco

Yeah due to economic complications....aahh screw it Ive been wasting money on dates & girls so yeah...im gonna have to wait on the second batch as well :(

realyst said:
I've come across some economic complications making my getting one of the first batch unlikely. Though I doubt the 'instant sell-out' theory stuck in everyone's head will be quite so dramatic, even if it did sell out before I got one, that means one thing: it sold well.

That means there's likely to be a second batch(also, craig&co will likely be happy). That should give everyone some time to collect themselves and read up on reviews and see how well it works for everyone else before getting one.

As much as :pandora1: looks awesome, I figure we should keep a cool head and not turn into freakishly dedicated, impatient, logicless beings with their wallets out(or even worse....Apple fanboys!)

Craig said the dam opens up on the 30th. Let's enjoy the launch for what it is, have some fun in the meantime, and act our ages. Fanboy-ism is never flattering(it's sorta like the overly drunk friend, though while it can occasionally suck for him the morning after, it takes a lot longer before he sobers up and gets off your couch).

Apologies if I sound a little preachy. I'm usually very preachy ;)
Pfff... who is dramatic here?

EvilDragon said:
Well, see it like that:

Everyone will be happy if the first batch is instantly sold out AND the second batch is instantly produced within 2008! ;)
Should be possible if the first batch completely sells within a week during preorder, it would be enough time to produce more before "End of November" (formerly known as "Midd of November" :D )

I may also have to wait for the 2nd batch, although my monetary shortcomings are due to excessive consumption of ale and a corresponding lack of real work. :rolleyes:

I still fully intend to purchase a Pandora at some point, but as I've waited this long already, a few months into 2009 wouldn't be so bad.

fusion_power said:
Everyone will be happy if the first batch is instantly sold out AND the second batch is instantly produced within 2008! ;)
Should be possible if the first batch completely sells within a week during preorder, it would be enough time to produce more before "End of November" (formerly known as "Midd of November" :D )
:rolleyes: I'm pretty sure they said "second batch in 2009" for a reason, I'd assume whomever is putting Pandora together will be well into their regular seasonal rush at that point, Pandora would have to wait.

Not trying to be mean here, just saying don't get your hopes (or anyone else's) up for a 2nd batch in 2008...that'd be excellent, of course! ;)

zxxgp said:
realyst said:
(or even worse....Apple fanboys!)
I am an apple fanboy! :(

Me too! Although I'm really just a fan of the stuff that works best for me...be it Apple, Sony, etc. But everybody goes fishing with the fail whale at some point...

I am definitely getting one of the first batch, if at all possible... I bought a Beagleboard to tide me over thru the wait. I'm in the process of converting an old 486 laptop into a BIG Pandora (minus the game controls, but I can always use USB Gamepads, mine is going to be used for a lot more than games) and I can really appreciate what the Pandora team is going through... Every little detail takes time to figure out and get working. My primary reason for the larger form factor is to accommodate more battery (goal of 48 Hrs) and to have a laptop that is binary compatible to the Pandora.

I can already see some of the potential for the Pandy, and have no doubt that it will meet MY expectations. I'm ready to pay now and wait however long it takes for this unique, history making device.

Am I impatient? Do I wish I could have a Pandy right now?
YES!!!
But you won't find me bitching about it when good people are doing the best they can with what they've got to work with!

Well the 30th certianly is going to rank as one very intresting day :) !

I don't think all the pandoras will be sold out on the first day, however. There's enough for everyone. I'm guessing on the 1st day there will be several "spikes" of pandoras being sold (e.g. some people trying to order one on the stroke of midnight, then again in the morning, maybe a spike when some people might log on at work and try to order, then another in the evening).

I'm thinking on that first day maybe a couple of hundred at most will get sold?

Plenty to go round :) . And as the original poster said, "The sky won't fall".

ljones

Back