Why does the Pandora have a widescreen when most emulated games are 4:3?

rsuryase

I see black borders in most games. Also I noticed the LCD screen is too dark, it gets brighter when u look down or up at the screen. Its seems the backlights are at the top and bottom of the screen. I already have LCD brightness at 54 which is highest setting.

The screen also can't stay perpendicular to the keyboard, it only locks out parallel.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate the term black borders, The term sounds like it was something that was intentionally added.. It's just being rendered in the original aspect ratio.

If you got creative you can try to find a 4:3 screen to wedge into it, but you will have some gaping holes to address.

Also many people forget that this device isn't only for retro emulation and there are numerous native software ports that take advantage of the widescreen.

And movies are widescreen, so if indeed it was 4:3 then people would be complaining about big black bars on the top and bottom, or the sides getting cut off.

The biggest reason is that when Pandora was made 800x480 screens were far more readily available. 640x480 would have cost a lot more money. Besides, this aspect ratio is a better fit for the controller layout they wanted.

The biggest reason is that when Pandora was made 800x480 screens were far more readily available. 640x480 would have cost a lot more money. Besides, this aspect ratio is a better fit for the controller layout they wanted.

Definitely, this is the same reason why most monitors sold are 16:9 these days rather than the more desirable 16:10 that my Samsung monitors are. The aspect ratio is more widely used and tends to be both easier to buy and less expensive.

Plus, apart from some folks with OCD, having a bit of black around the outside is much better than losing the extra pixels. And ultimately, even with a 4:3 display, you'd still have to have a unit that's roughly as wide as the Pandora as you need to put the keyboard somewheres. I suppose they could have put in more speakers, to fill the space...

All the above. Imagine web browsing on a 640x480 screen.

It's hard enough finding a new 4:3 display for a desktop PC these days, it's just the way manufacturing has had to go. Emulation on a PC bought in the last few years is going to have the same surplus of screen area too.

It would be snazzy if some kind of retro bezel image could be imposed on the free space, like an old TV effect or arcade cab. Better than stretching the visuals.

The screen also can't stay perpendicular to the keyboard, it only locks out parallel.

Craig has said repeatedly that this is the best way to operate the Pandora. Those of us that disagree are left under no illusion that we're wrong. Despite the fact that the Pandora is awful to use at that angle :)

D.

Craig has said repeatedly that this is the best way to operate the Pandora. Those of us that disagree are left under no illusion that we're wrong. Despite the fact that the Pandora is awful to use at that angle :)

D.
My laptop has the same issue.

My original unit's screen still sits firmly at any angle. The only thing I can attribute this to is having tightly put a strip of clear vinyl adhesive across the seam at the base of the hinge (to protect it from the cracks that formed on early units).

I actually like using it at that angle :(

Regardless, people complain as if they had a choice. Craig may be trying to sell it as the best angle but that's just salesmanship: there simply weren't any others available.

Its the party line, thusly it is best angle, comrade! Anyone who says otherwise is traitor scum.

Fall in line and drink the koolaid. :p

AspectRatioConversions-2.jpg

you left out the one that annoys me most: 16x9 material broadcast letterboxed in 4x3, then displayed pillerboxed on a 16x9 monitor so it is windowboxed (black borders on all four sides).

Back