Why Do We *need* An Sd Card Reader?

I pack a lot of stuff for my 2X. I have 4 SD cards. Emulation, games, media, and CPS2.
if I had to turn my GP2X on every time I wanted to add/remove something from a card I would go mad (emulation and media are really the only 2 I frequently edit), so for me a card reader is needed regardless of what speeds my GP2X can transfer at.

fusion_power posted on Mar 26 2007 at 02:09 PM said:
Parkydr posted on Mar 26 2007 at 03:55 PM said:
I've got a card reader, but I only use it for reformatting (which I've only had to do 2 or 3 times).

I usually use Samba.
Uhm, HOW? ^^" I have no clue how to use these mysterious "Samba" or "Telnet" on GP2X. What do I need?

The Samba, telnet and ftp servers are already in your GP2X firmware, you just need to set up networking to your PC.

Telnet allows you to open a terminal session to your GP2X.

Samba implements Windows shared folders on Linux. When you enable the server you can mount your GP2X as a network drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Squidge posted on Mar 25 2007 at 05:21 PM said:
Fru.T Bunn posted on Mar 25 2007 at 12:37 PM said:
Has anyone else had problems with the FTP server on the GP2X stalling and then maybe even destroying the SD card's file-system? It seems to happen to me constantly.

Why are using the FTP server when samba is so much better and can be used through any file manager (including Windows Exploder)
I do use Samba as well, and that trashes the SD card too. I just said FTP as I tend to use that more; I like FTP! :)

It's interesting that I'm the only one with this problem, and it doesn't seem to be limited to one SD card. Maybe I've been unlucky with my cards? Or maybe my GP2X is broke? Gmenu2x has also trashed file-systems, and so has extracting large (over 6MB) archives. So I suspect either duff kernel support or hardware.

I'll have a play with a few cards. If fsck fixes it every time then I'm not bothered. It's just that if I take a Space Shuttle to Mars or something, I'd be quite upset if the 2X trashes the SD card just as we're leaving Earth Orbit etc..

I use the samba client on the GP2X, that doesn't trash the SD card because it does everything on my computer's hard drive :)

DoTK posted on Mar 25 2007 at 02:05 PM said:
* SD card corruption -- I had issues with the FAT becoming corrupted, which caused me to have to run chkdsk to clean it up. This problem actually turned out of be a bad card (beware those cheap high-capacity SDs!). . .though it sure seemed like USB was causing it. If you disconnect the GP2X from your computer properly, your SD card should never become scrambled.
im new to GP2X scene and have only just got a card reader for my GP2X.
i brought a reader because i kept corrupting my 4GB SD card, funny thing is i have never corrupted the 512MB card ive got.
i only got the card reader a couple of days ago and have already corrupted the 4GB card once.
so ive now brought a 2GB SD card in the hope that its a dodgy 4GB card that i own.

if it turns out that the 4GB card is faulty do you think i will be able to return it as the card basically works it just gets corrupted randomly.

GP2X mk2 v3.0
512MB SD kingston
2GB SD kingston
4GB SD Trancend (its not the SDHC type)

Fru.T Bunn posted on Mar 25 2007 at 11:37 AM said:
Has anyone else had problems with the FTP server on the GP2X stalling and then maybe even destroying the SD card's file-system? It seems to happen to me constantly.

Yes, that has happened to me!

When I was developing Invaders I was xfering the game to the SD card using FTP and running from the terminal window. FTP stopped because battery went low, SD Card = DEAD. 2Gb in the bin =/

SD Card shouldn't have been totally dead, a chkdsk/fsck or at worst a format should have brought it back to life... :unsure:

Back