Who Wanted To Play Out Run Without Slowdown?

Ghaleon

Still Fresh
I remember somebody mentioning, either on this or another Wiz forum, that if he could play Out Run without slowdown he would be happy. Well, this morning I played Out Run with the Wiz overclocked to 800 MHz and it ran perfectly smooth. I don't know if it had any slowdown or not (I wish there were a way to display the frames per second while you play the game) but it "felt" right. At 700 MHz it felt a little slow.

Take into account that after I finish playing and I press the left trigger, the right trigger, and select to exit, the console freezes and I have to turn it off. But hey, I can play Out Run (and many other games) while I ride the subway!

When you press "Select" and "Menu" together during gameplay, you can see a settings display.
Under "Input (General)" you can bind a key for "Show FPS".

Thanks for the tip, sbot. I am getting from 90 to 100% of the original speed in Out Run, except when I go through a tunnel, when it goes down to 80%. Take into account the fact that calculating and displaying the framerate slows the game down somewhat.

And I could configure the keys so they have the same arrangement as the Neo Geo CD controller. Now it's much easier to play Neo Geo fighters.

Moomin posted on May 20 2009 at 07:08 PM said:
Thanks, looked at screenshots on system16.com, and.. why does it need 800Mhz?
Because it's only emulated? The Wiz is too small to put an arcade board into it... ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emulator

The Sega Outrun hardware is very sophisticated, even on todays standards. And MAME needs much resources, even Franxis doing a great job maintaining the port.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAME

@Ghaleon

Do you use Cyclone and DRZ80 cores? Then you get the best performance. The only drawback is that MAME crashes when you exit it. The reason is the DRZ80 core.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moomin posted on May 20 2009 at 06:08 PM said:
Thanks, looked at screenshots on system16.com, and.. why does it need 800Mhz?
Did you look at the pictures of the board? It's pretty complex.

EDIT: Isn't there outrun for the SMS or the Genesis? Why bother with the Arcade version, when you could play a port? They aren't that bad...

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
EDIT: Isn't there outrun for the SMS or the Genesis? Why bother with the Arcade version, when you could play a port? They aren't that bad...
You're joking right? The original System 16 version is far superior. The SMS version in particular was dreadful in comparison.

The Megadrive version looked good but was painfully easy, the SMS version looks awful (3D version is better) but the road layout is accurate and is actually quite a challenge to complete.

There isn't anything like the arcade version on for 16 bit era systems though. There used to be a great site which reviewed every home version of the Sega arcade systems with side by side screen shots but it looks like it's gone. Shame as seeing obscure versions (x68000 and MSX for example) was great.

Maybe that's something for youtube.

Back