Who has an extensive collection of PNDs?

FaeMinx

Rainbow Liberation Instigation
This morning... I lost all the data on my primary 32GB SD Card. :(

I know... I'm a fool for not backing up and I feel terrible.

I've managed to recover most of the data, including my appdata folder.

However - the other 'most vital' folder - my 'menu' folder that contained ALL my PNDs that has taken me months to download at great expense (it costs me about R300 per Gig) has vanished completely! I'm trying to do a deep scan of the card now... but if that doesn't work..

Is there any kind soul out there that has a reasonably up to date collection of the majority of PNDs available - especially the larger ones (for me and my crummy data plan anything over 20mb is a large file)... that is willing to burn them to a few DVDs and post them to me?

I will of course pay for the postage, discs, and your time & service.

I would be extremely extremely grateful. :(

This is a huge tragedy for me...

I'm on my knees. Please help somebody! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
This morning... I lost all the data on my primary 32GB SD Card. :(

I know... I'm a fool for not backing up and I feel terrible.

I've managed to recover most of the data, including my appdata folder.

However - the other 'most vital' folder - my 'menu' folder that contained ALL my PNDs that has taken me months to download at great expense (it costs me about R300 per Gig) has vanished completely! I'm trying to do a deep scan of the card now... but if that doesn't work..

Is there any kind soul out there that has a reasonably up to date collection of the majority of PNDs available - especially the larger ones (for me and my crummy data plan anything over 20mb is a large file)... that is willing to burn them to a few DVDs and post them to me?

I will of course pay for the postage, discs, and your time & service.

I would be extremely extremely grateful. :(

This is a huge tragedy for me...

I'm on my knees. Please help somebody! :(

Ew. Ew ew ew. You have to pay per gigabyte for internet service?

I'd be willing to help you out; I have unlimited Internet service, though it would have been more convenient had you done this when I was still at the Institute... Old-school dial-up is to cable as cable is to the Institute's fucking pipe.

I'll need a few things:

• a list of the PND's you want... "all of them" isn't going to help
  • the ruleset on shipping things to the jungle
  • the money to send things to the jungle (if it's overly expensive)

I can PM you my e-mail address if you'd like to discuss it further.

Remember, it could be worse. It could be much, much worse. So for now, be happy! :)

That's really great of you! I'll start making a list tonight - I'll probably have it ready tomorrow evening (I have to work tomorrow). A PM with your email would be good. :)

Thank you so much! Now there's a light at the end of the tunnel. :D

That's really great of you! I'll start making a list tonight - I'll probably have it ready tomorrow evening (I have to work tomorrow). A PM with your email would be good. :)

Thank you so much! Now there's a light at the end of the tunnel. :D

PM sent.

Do you only have to pay per gigabyte for "large downloads?"

Here is an idea I just had if that is true-- I could put up a script on my VPS which runs a wget, splits the resultant file up into 10 MiB increments, and outputs a list of wget commands and and un-splitting command for you to run on your end.

Picture the Saturday morning cartoons where our tragic hero encounters a tennis racket and is invariably split into tens of cube-shaped pieces, only to snap back together on the other side.

Oh wow. Hard to forget how relatively cheap internet is here these days. I've been annoyed that we don't have any fiber connection in my village as some friends of mine have a cheap 100/100 connection.

When I read about your data-loss in the other thread, my first thought was "Who cares about losing their PNDs?, losing your appdata is way worse". Now I understand.

Good luck on getting your data back. I know the pain, several years ago (it was on my first pentium computer of 200 Mhz) I lost about 25 GB data (back then that was a LOT of data, these days it's a download of a couple of hours).

[...] ALL my PNDs that has taken me months to download at great expense (it costs me about R300 per Gig)
And I already wondered whats so bad about losing random PNDs which can be re-downloaded at any time.

Well, if everything else fails, you can send me your list and I'll send you a DVD. Only conditions: I'll only send you PNDs that do not have a license which disallows me to send them to you. Oh, and you start making regular backups. ;)

Well, if everything else fails, you can send me your list and I'll send you a DVD. Only conditions: I'll only send you PNDs that have a license which allows me to send them to you, and you start making regular backups. ;)

Thank you so much! I'll have my list ready tomorrow evening. My first deep scan has failed to reveal my 'menu' folder... Going to try another program.

Of course, I don't expect anyone to send me anything illegally! :blink:

'Back it up' is going to become my mantra... believe me!

Oh wow. Hard to forget how relatively cheap internet is here these days. I've been annoyed that we don't have any fiber connection in my village as some friends of mine have a cheap 100/100 connection.

When I read about your data-loss in the other thread, my first thought was "Who cares about losing their PNDs?, losing your appdata is way worse". Now I understand.

Good luck on getting your data back. I know the pain, several years ago (it was on my first pentium computer of 200 Mhz) I lost about 25 GB data (back then that was a LOT of data, these days it's a download of a couple of hours).

With my connection speed, if I download non stop... 25 GB... would probably take two weeks to a month.

I'm so so envious of first world countries... I intend to retire in one and die a blissed out old loon. :)

Just to clear things up. 300 ZAR is about 45 USD. That's a fortune even by "western" standards o_O

And for someone that doesn't make all that much to begin with... in a 3rd world county... actual physical pain was felt in the pit of my stomach this morning.
Tell me if I'm wrong, but I believe you might have understood that slaeshjag said that it's relatively cheap. What he said was that it's very expensive.

Or maybe I was the one who misunderstood (you).

And for someone that doesn't make all that much to begin with... in a 3rd world county... actual physical pain was felt in the pit of my stomach this morning.
Tell me if I'm wrong, but I believe you might have understood that slaeshjag said that it's relatively cheap. What he said was that it's very expensive.

Or maybe I was the one who misunderstood (you).

I'm pretty sure he was just adding to it-- another wording would have been "Not to mention I don't make all that much to begin with."

At least, that's how I perceived it.

youre damn right it would be....ive had quite a few terabytes per month moments

Back