Which Software Will Ship With Pandora?

Niksta

Still Fresh
I like homebrew and emulation too, but it's the potential of a handheld Linux desktop environment combined with the controllers and keyboard that interests me the most about the Pandora.

Therefore, I am curious about what software will be installed on the OS when it ships.

The videos I have seen suggest that the following things are likely to be built-in:

Audio Player
Calendar/Organiser
PDF Viewer
Video Player
Web Browser
Word Processor

Some of the older videos showed applications that may or may not be there:
The GIMP
Spreadsheet Application

Please note that I am not trying to start a debate about what should or should not be in there; I would just like to know what will be in there.

Thank you.

Audio and video player aren't likely to be included on the NAND. You'll have to download them from the repository. Or they'll include the players but the patented codecs (MPEG1/2/3, etc...) will need to be downloaded.
The reason I suggest the audio/video players may not be included at all is because a lot of people in the general public don't realize that an audio player needs codecs to play music and that you can download more. If they get a player that can only play open formats, they may not realize it can also do MP3 if you just download the right plugin and will rant about it. They're more likely to be accepting of having to download a complete player which just works with everything.
Other than that and what you've listed already, they'll probably include the Gnome games package (solitaire, minesweeper, sudoku, those kinds of games).

From my previous conversation with ED:
The web browser will be Midori (AFAIK switched to Aurora recently), the Mail program Claws-Mail.
Then we have Gnumeric, AbiWord. LeafPad as Text editor, Thunar as Filemanager, Orage as Calendar, Pidgin as Messenger and XChat as IRC Client :)
In our current OS, XMMS is playing the MP3s, however, we'd like to change that to Exaile.
(duno if player not changed to another else too)

Remember to distinguish between apps that will be available at launch, and apps that will be included in NAND by default.

We'll definitely get the web browser on board; that's kind of necessary to get to other software anyway.
I'm sure there'll be other applications as well, though I won't wager what they'll be.

The majority of software should be downloadable PNDs rather than bundled in, because that makes it trivial to upgrade, or switch to an alternative.

Kagato said:
Remember to distinguish between apps that will be available at launch, and apps that will be included in NAND by default.

We'll definitely get the web browser on board; that's kind of necessary to get to other software anyway.
I'm sure there'll be other applications as well, though I won't wager what they'll be.

The majority of software should be downloadable PNDs rather than bundled in, because that makes it trivial to upgrade, or switch to an alternative.
Perhaps they should ship a miniCD or something, so that as much as possible can be PNDs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kagato said:

I realise now that the topic title was ambiguous and I agree that the majority of software would be in downloadable PNDs. I was asking specifically about the desktop applications in the NAND because 99% of the packages in the file archive at the moment are development tools, themes, games and emulators (by the way, DosBox is in the wrong category).

Thanks to everyone for the information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back