Which Sdl Lib Should I Use?

winfred01

Still Fresh
Hi everyone,

I am confused about the different versions of pre-compiled SDL lib out there.

I have been using Paeryn's SDL 1.2.9 compiled for gp2x hardware, and find out that there's SDL_ttf isn't included.

Then I have downloaded a newer version of Paeryn's library which requires a "full SDL development libraries". I am unsure about what version should the full SDL development library be, and I have tried a few from http://www.libsdl.org/ without any luck.

And found that someone kindly updated the development env setup wiki page, which now is referring to "Guyfawkes precompiled libs" as a recommendation, however the link is dead and I haven't managed to google it yet.

So I would like to ask if:

1. what version of SDL are you using at the moment?

2. where can I find a pre-complied version for using with window.

3.Is is better to compile the lib myself from source (e.g. open2x), and if so, can I compile it in window using gcc and mingw32?

Sorry if it sounds silly, this is the only thing that's be dragging me behind,
Im working on a Unicode textreader at the moment

Thanks in advance, :(

Guyfawkes

Certified Idiot :)
Website
www.emuholic.com

paeryn

Reclusive maniac
Website
paeryn.myby.co.uk
My SDL library is just the core library, if you need SDL_ttf or SDL_image or whatever you need to get them separately.
I think what you were quoting was probably about the pre-compiled libs which are only meant for people who already have SDL installed and don't want to re-compile my library every time I update it.

As for using my lib in a windows toolchain, as long as it uses gcc 4 (and maybe 3 but not 2.95) it should work okay, you have to link statically link though.

Personally my current set-up is the open2x toolchain, it installs the main set of SDL_ libraries as do all the gp2x toolchains (I think.)

winfred01

Still Fresh
Thanks Guyfawkes and paeryn for your help,

paeryn:
yeah I have the pre-compiled SDL from somewhere else and try to use your pre-compiled ttf with it, and they're not compatible.
after a few attempts, I just gave up.

I am using GCC4 and mingw32 at the moment with the precompiled SDL lib bundle from Guyfawkes and it works fine so far. I'll ask again if I have any news or problems :)