Which Sd Card?

danchamp

Still Fresh
Website
www.blether.com
Long time lurker, first-time poster. :)

I've pre-ordered a GP2X and am looking to buy a 1Gb SD card in preparation for it arriving. In my ignorance I thought all SD cards were equal, but digging a bit deeper I now see that they come with various transfer rates.

I've seen cards with read rates from 5Mb/sec to 20Mb/sec, and write rates from 1.5Mb/sec to 20Mb/sec.

Will the GP2X support those higher rates? If so will loading times be reduced, or will there be a bottleneck elsewhere? Any help gratefully accepted. :D

just get the cheapest for the capacity you're looking for. might be a good idea to get a higher transfer rate card, though. i remember reading that speeds will run at MMC speeds, though.

Even if the gp2x won't support high speeds don't forget that your still going to be transfering files onto the card in the first place. For large movies or loads of mp3's a high speed card and a card reader will be very useful.

I advise you to get a slow speed card , because the transfer speed between the cheap and expensive cards is hardly noticable.

If you notice you will see I was talking about large files, where the speed difference is certainly noticable. Copying 1 300mb file to my 1gb 66x card takes approx 1 min. Copying the same file to my 512mb (speed unknown) card takes 3 minutes.

RedVash posted on Oct 6 2005 at 10:21 PM said:
I advise you to get a slow speed card , because the transfer speed between the cheap and expensive cards is hardly noticable.
5mb/s and 20mb/s. As far as I can see that would mean that one card would take 4 mins for what on the other took only 1 minute.
Thats a huge difference in speec/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hanz™ posted on Oct 6 2005 at 03:51 PM said:
5mb/s and 20mb/s. As far as I can see that would mean that one card would take 4 mins for what on the other took only 1 minute.

The question is it worth your money to save x amount of time :huh:

reallynotnick posted on Oct 6 2005 at 11:00 PM said:
Hanz™ posted on Oct 6 2005 at 03:51 PM said:
I advise you to get a slow speed card at because the transfer speed between the cheap and expensive cards is hardly noticable.

The question is it worth your money to save x amount of time :huh:
Nope. the context was: "because the transfer speed between the cheap and expensive cards is hardly noticable".

Is faster cards really that much more expensive?

The newest Adata SD cards for example are fast with 22.5MB/s read and 15MB/s write speed. But they still seem to be one of the cheapest cards out there.

Yeah, I'm doing some searches on various price finders and it seems that the fastest are usually only 1-10 dollars more than the slow ones. I would just go to pricegrabber or froogle to find a good deal. Then again I'm looking at 2GB cards, and maybe they are only sold in high speed because they are newer to the market, where if you're buying 1GB down there are some old stock of slower speeds because they've been around longer.

Thanx,
Stan

I buy my cards via ebay (with paypal) off sellers with a lot of good feedback... Much much cheaper that way, at least here in Australia.

In preperation for the GP2x I just ordered a 2GB 150x RiData Pro card, delivered for AUD$175 (I think that is around US$130-US$140), retail here even online it is at least 50% more expensive than that!

Hey, that's the card I'm looking at getting joele, the RiDATA 150x High Speed 2GB, and it says pro on the package. Do you have anything to test it out on? I was wondering how fast it was in real-world use.

Thanx,
Stan

joele posted on Oct 6 2005 at 08:01 PM said:
I buy my cards via ebay (with paypal) off sellers with a lot of good feedback... Much much cheaper that way, at least here in Australia.

In preperation for the GP2x I just ordered a 2GB 150x RiData Pro card, delivered for AUD$175 (I think that is around US$130-US$140), retail here even online it is at least 50% more expensive than that!
thats it? i found a slew on ebay for around 120 shipped....still isnt good enough for me thou :lol:

edit: US dollars that it :rolleyes:

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Oct 7 2005 at 12:53 AM said:
thats it? i found a slew on ebay for around 120 shipped....still isnt good enough for me thou :lol:

edit: US dollars that it :rolleyes:

Yeah you can get slightly cheaper in the US, I have seen the ones you refer to, but once I pay shipping to Australia it is no cheaper for me...

second exodous posted on Oct 7 2005 at 12:12 AM said:
Hey, that's the card I'm looking at getting joele, the RiDATA 150x High Speed 2GB, and it says pro on the package. Do you have anything to test it out on? I was wondering how fast it was in real-world use.

Hey Stan, it was shipped to me yesterday, so based on previous experience from this buyer I guess it should arrive during the week next week, I will try it with my ppc and computer and let you know how it compares to my other cards (various sandisk and Kingston pros)..

joele posted on Oct 6 2005 at 09:15 PM said:
Hey Stan, it was shipped to me yesterday, so based on previous experience from this buyer I guess it should arrive during the week next week, I will try it with my ppc and computer and let you know how it compares to my other cards (various sandisk and Kingston pros)..

Ah cool, it's hard to find reviews on flashcards, I just want to know what speed they transfer at, and I can't even find that.

Thanx,
Stan

Back