Which Gp2x? F-100 Or F-200?

apex.ultima

Still Fresh
Website
www.myspace.com
I currently do not own one, but have been looking into them for a while now. :ph34r:
With the release of the F-200 i have been researching both models and found that they have their pros and cons.

I honestly don't know which one to go for. :unsure: Which model would you guys recommend?

Cheers

Orrin

Well, there's a few features that set them both apart for me.

F100: Joystick(albiet a poor one); USB networking
F200: Touchscreen

I decided I wanted the touchscreen more.

f-100. no questions asked. the f-200 dpad is gay, and what is the use of a touchscreen with no ds emulator in the works? and with no processor advantages over the f-100, the f-200 is crap. now finding an f-100 is a pain in the neck. i lost countless ebay auctions for my treasured f-100 (which went for 88.35!)

legoboy1234 said:
what is the use of a touchscreen with no ds emulator in the works?
There would be no purpose for regular buttons either, were it not for console emulators!

Last edited by a moderator:
- F100: joystick, usb networking, better performance in movie player, cheaper, more overclok (that means "faster with big games").
- F200: dpad, touchscreen (for scummvm and homebrews), maybe new firmwares will enhance the player performance.

you choose.

juanvvc said:
- F100: joystick, usb networking, better performance in movie player, cheaper, more overclok (that means "faster with big games").
- F200: dpad, touchscreen (for scummvm and homebrews), maybe new firmwares will enhance the player performance.

you choose.
More overclock on F100s is not always true. Most (all?)F200s can overclock to 260-280 MHz. Many F100s can't OC past 240 MHz. Sure there is the freak F100 that can do 300 MHz but it is rare, good luck finding one to buy.

The sound is louder and fuller on F200s too. The sound on F100s is much more tinny and weak.

legoboy1234 said:
f-100. no questions asked. the f-200 dpad is gay, and what is the use of a touchscreen with no ds emulator in the works? and with no processor advantages over the f-100, the f-200 is crap. now finding an f-100 is a pain in the neck. i lost countless ebay auctions for my treasured f-100 (which went for 88.35!)
Despite what you might think it's not all about emulation....

The touchscreen offers game developers more options when it come to designing our games and if you follow what's going on then you will see more and more software is being released with touchscreen support. As for the dpad being 'gay' that would be a matter of opinion, it certainly isn't perfect but actually is a better for many games, if you look back you will see there are plenty of people who completely hated the joystick on the f100 (I actually grew to like it).

Basically as others have said there isn't much difference between the 2 really but if you get an f200 you get the touchscreen as well. I have both but if I had to choose between them I would pick the f200.

Ouch.. I should have read this before buying one... Didn't know the F-200 had no usb networking.
Not a biggie.. but would have been a nice addon.

More overclock on F100s is not always true. Most (all?)F200s can overclock to 260-280 MHz. Many F100s can't OC past 240 MHz. Sure there is the freak F100 that can do 300 MHz but it is rare, good luck finding one to buy.

my f100 can oc to 260.. more than that and boom

The sound is louder and fuller on F200s too. The sound on F100s is much more tinny and weak.

not if you use headphones!

if you look back you will see there are plenty of people who completely hated the joystick on the f100 (I actually grew to like it).

just mod it to a more favorable joystick type

I'd easily say go get a F200, but that's just me.

The D-Pad's actually a hell of a lot better for gaming that that joystick monstrosity.

I have both. And I prefer the f-200. I did hate the button controls at first but I got used to them and prefer them to the stick now. You have to move the stick to far for it to register an input for my tastes. Also the screen is better on the f-200. I do however like the sound on the f-100 better. I pretty much just use my f-100 for a media player to take with me now. USB networking has no use to me so I don't mind that missing. I mean you can still plug in to your usb and access your memory. The usb networking is only important if you are going to be programing for it.

I have both. I use both. I use the F100 for quick debugging, as the telnet is invaluable. You have to use the screen or a logfile on F200 - no big deal, too.
Apart from that, I like the F200 over the F100. The touchscreen is a very good input method for new developments. It improves gameplay a lot if you support it. The sound on the F200 is better, but sometimes games do not support the vol-keys, which is _very_ annoying.

Back