Where should the connectors be?

After consideration, I definitely thing the Pyragon/whatnot should have a dedicated charging port because:

• It extends the life of the device, even after parts have started to break
  • Experience has shown that microUSB connectors are rather fragile
  • It could reliably supply a lot of power without the risk of blowing up any USB host devices
  • The extra socket component is very cheap compared to the hundreds of pounds it will cost overall
  • The device is quite big, and an extra 0.5cm2 PCB area is unlikely to have a significant impact
I would add to that if you want to use the microUSB connector as an OTG USB host, you can't charge through it at the same time.

- Neelix

I'm fine with a dedicated charging port, but it's not strictly necessary if the same amount of power can be delivered reliably through USB.

Also I want all of the ports to be sturdy and attached to the pcb in such a way that it's not going to break, ever.

For the sake of argument, suppose the Pyragon/whatever has the following connectors arranged around the edge of the base:

I suggest:

back:-----[shoulder]--[EXT]--[uSBslave]--[Power/USBhost]--[videoOut]--[shoulder]

left:--------------------------------------[sDXC]---------------------------------------------

right:------------------------------------[sDXC]---------------------------------------------

front:----[headset]---[volumeControl]---[uSBhost]---[powerSwitch]---[holdSwitch]
Mine:

Back: --L1L2SplitRocker--Power--USB3Host--USB2.0microOTG--DualModeDPorHDMI--R1R2SplitRocker

Left: ---------RecessedVolumeWheel--RecessedPower&HoldSwitch--LanyardHole1--

Right: ------------SDXC-SDXC----------LanyardHole2--

Front: ----HeadphoneMicJack--HeadphoneModeSelector---HeatRadiatorHeatRadiator----LEDstatusBank--

Explanation:

All wired ports but headphone audio jack on the back. Simplifies docking.

Shoulder buttons are split-rocker > style meant to be run with a single finger on each side. Roll left finger up for L1, roll left finger down for L2, mash for L1+L2.

Power - Barrel is fine.

USB3Host - full sized. Yes, only one full sized USB port on the device. Let's not get greedy with board space.

USB2.0 micro OTG. This is a host/device/charging (2w max) port. It's the same one as used on most modern cell phones. Forget your charger? Pick up any micro-USB phone or tablet charger. It can be used as a USB device or host too.

Dual Mode Display Port OR HDMI. I can see doing DisplayPort, but ONLY if we can get the full dual mode signal output to enable passive adapters to DVI & HDMI. If we can't get DualMode DP, then it pretty much has to be HDMI for compatibility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Dual-mode_DisplayPort

Volume, power/hold on left. I use my Pandora as an audio player in my left shirt pocket while flying. It would be convenient to be able to put it on hold (pause/mute) and adjust the volume without removing it from the pocket. This also requires that the headphone jack be on the far left of the front edge (like Pandora). These are recessed a bit, so they aren't going to dig into your hand or get moved accidentally while you're playing games.

SDXC on the right. It's too bad nobody makes a dual-SD card stacked feature/port or these two could sit on top of each other. They can still sit side by side. The board space behind them isn't all 'wasted'. There are quite a few components that can sit behind them. Again, recessed enough to avoid conflicts with gamer's hands.

Lanyard/strap holes on left and right back corners. Removed from the back to ease docking. Put on both sides for ambidexterity.

Front left headphone/mic jack with a switch to the right of it to change the wiring from 'standard' to 'apple' for compatibility with all headphones.

About 70% of the front edge could be 'portless' and instead be a passive heat radiator. This would potentially allow the SoC to run at higher clocks longer for extended gaming.

Front right corner could house the status LEDs. Easy to check, doesn't shine in eyes during gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back