Where should the connectors be?

Binky

Death's Steed
Staff member
For the sake of argument, suppose the Pyragon/whatever has the following connectors arranged around the edge of the base:

• Headset
  • SDXC
  • other SDXC
  • Video-out
  • EXT
  • USB-host
  • USB-slave
  • barrel-jack power / second USB port / something addtional
Also:

• volume control
  • power / hold switch(es)
  • shoulder buttons
  • loophole for a lanyard
How should these be lain out?

I suggest:

back:-----[shoulder]--[EXT]--[uSBslave]--[Power/USBhost]--[videoOut]--[shoulder]

left:--------------------------------------[sDXC]---------------------------------------------

right:------------------------------------[sDXC]---------------------------------------------

front:----[headset]---[volumeControl]---[uSBhost]---[powerSwitch]---[holdSwitch]

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe let the case designer (ED's gf IIRC), which more than probably have studied ergonomics, propose rough projects when they'll be done and start from that?

I don't think putting the headset connector between your hand and volume control is that great.

When you'll try to change volume on-the-fly with your thumb while holding you device, I bet the headset jack will get in the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't the same be said for everything in this subforum?

Good point though:

front:----[volumeControl]---[headset]---[uSBhost]---[powerSwitch]---[holdSwitch]

Why was the volume control placed so far from the headset jack on the pandora?

Connectors on more than two sides is dubious, with the full sd-cards taking up not the full amount of width on the sides it isn't feasible, because its hard to use the excess for anything.

Otherwise headset away from volumewheel is a feature because then you can use both hands to adjust it.

Loophole for lanyard could double as kensington lock.

This is what im thinking:

First picture the whole pcb as a rectangle, then place two rectangles (the SD cards) at either side in between the screws, with the slot facing outwards. With some room to spare at the top and bottom, around the edges of the sd-card, you end up with small squares, (at the long sides of the sd card.)

|Dead space

|_______

|

|

_______|

|Dead space

|__________________

How is that dead space? There's plenty of components that can be mounted on that part of the PCB.

because now people wants ports and buttons not present on the current one, preferably without removing any of the old.
The extra shoulder buttons should not take extra (horizontal) space if I understand correctly where they would be put (stacked vertically). SlimPort would add one microUSB port, but as far as I'm concerned we can get rid of the miniUSB port if we already have a full size one and a micro one. As far as I'm concerned we can also throw away the ext connector, but I guess some people want to keep it (even though analog video will probably not be an option anymore). The charging jack may also no longer be needed if the same charge rate can be achieved through USB.

So are there really more ports? I'm not sure.

we can also throw away the ext connector, but I guess some people want to keep it
Yes, EXT port is really handy for people wanting to create simple accessories (I wish someone will design a little wired remote with lcd screen to control audio playback[maybe me, who knows?], someone recently wanted a small IR emitter/receptor "dongle", …) without using the usb ports.

I don't know about you, but I have no USB port capable of providing the 2 or so amps that the successor would need for charging.
Well you could use a dedicated charger that delivers 2A or more if you want to do fast charging (if it's the same battery we have now, that should fully charge it in 2-3 hours or so). If you forget to take the charger, you can still use a laptop USB port or something like that, it will be charge slowly but probably gives enough juice to power the device under low/medium load and enough to charge it with the lid closed.

I really hope it'll be smart enough to negotiate that then, and not just blindly sucking the power it wants like it does now. Pull 2 amps from a USB port not designed for it and you'll most likely blow a fuse.

I really hope it'll be smart enough to negotiate that then, and not just blindly sucking the power it wants like it does now. Pull 2 amps from a USB port not designed for it and you'll most likely blow a fuse.
It should just adhere to the most recent standards and everything should be fine.

because now people wants ports and buttons not present on the current one, preferably without removing any of the old.
The extra shoulder buttons should not take extra (horizontal) space if I understand correctly where they would be put (stacked vertically). SlimPort would add one microUSB port, but as far as I'm concerned we can get rid of the miniUSB port if we already have a full size one and a micro one. As far as I'm concerned we can also throw away the ext connector, but I guess some people want to keep it (even though analog video will probably not be an option anymore). The charging jack may also no longer be needed if the same charge rate can be achieved through USB.

So are there really more ports? I'm not sure.
Personally (Not having owned a P1, mind), I'd love for it to keep the dedicated charging jack. I've had multiple bad experiences with both Micro and MiniUSB ports, in one case the microUSB coming clean off the board (Blackberrry phone). I'd like to think I take good care of my devices, but I think the problem with them is not the port itself, which is good for something like 10000 cycles, but the solder points between the board and port. Steering away from it may save ED a ton of trouble in repairs. 

After consideration, I definitely thing the Pyragon/whatnot should have a dedicated charging port because:

• It extends the life of the device, even after parts have started to break
  • Experience has shown that microUSB connectors are rather fragile
  • It could reliably supply a lot of power without the risk of blowing up any USB host devices
  • The extra socket component is very cheap compared to the hundreds of pounds it will cost overall
  • The device is quite big, and an extra 0.5cm2 PCB area is unlikely to have a significant impact

Back