Where Is The Kernel Source For Firmware 1.1.0 ?

yoku

Still Fresh
I believe latest FW 1.1.0 uses Linux version 2.6.24, Does GPH has released the kernel source ?

Nope. I'd more like to have the U-Boot source, which they are also obligated to release.

Orkie released some stuff GPH sent over. Don't know about later stuff. Obviously GPH need to release that too, but who knows when it'll get released. Last time it took months.

I really doubt the u-boot source is much changed in the firmware release from what I have uploaded, maybe just a different boot graphic.

How do we get them to release the kernel sources? Its *VERY* important that they do so.

As a developer, I need those sources. If I had the kernel sources, and if they were in good shape, I would:

- build and release gadget_eth. This is *essential* to continued development, in my opinion. It is just such a pain in the ass to develop/debug with the mounted filesystem and having to redirect i/o to text files, re-mount, ad infinitum. I can't believe the idiocy of someone who thinks that developers will work this way.

- build and release device drivers for other USB devices. MIDI, I'm looking at you.

Whoever has the muscle, please start to lean. I have had my WIZ for a week now and I'm getting very, very tired of having to debug through redirected i/o. Sure, I can make a serial console cable, and I will do that as soon as I can work out how to do it, but with gadget_eth things would be a lot simpler for *EVERYONE*.

Part of the source is here:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/47875-the-reason-there-is-no-full-firmware-update/page__view__findpost__p__727888 and

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/47875-the-reason-there-is-no-full-firmware-update/page__view__findpost__p__727896

Last edited by a moderator:
torpor said:
- build and release gadget_eth.
It's possible to build it from the sources sbock just linked to, but it only spits a bunch of -22 errors when it loads. I'd guess GPH would've built and included it if it actually worked (assuming they know what it's for from GP2X F100 times).

-22 == EINVAL and per my reading of ether.c, this happens for two reason : bad/invalid configuration descriptor and unable to set config.

Maybe this can be fixed in software .. a possibly stupid question for you: did you try to load the gadget_eth driver while gadget_fs was still loaded?

torpor said:
-22 == EINVAL and per my reading of ether.c, this happens for two reason : bad/invalid configuration descriptor and unable to set config.

Maybe this can be fixed in software .. a possibly stupid question for you: did you try to load the gadget_eth driver while gadget_fs was still loaded?
Of course not. And those -22 messages were coming from somewhere else I think, not g_ether code.

Do you still have the kernel sources/build around somewhere notaz? I'd like to try to fix this issue, as I think its very important .. but first, I guess I have to build the serial cable ..

Orkie said:
'more' implies you actually have some to start with ;) .

Now was this post really worth it? :blink:

You know what I meant, more info implies more than what I just posted, it appeared that people thought GPH were going to keep it to themselves so just thought I would pass on what info I had. There's no need to be a clever clogs :p

The thing is, WarmFluffy, if you have any contact with GPH you need to get on them about it. Its utterly unacceptable that they haven't released the sources yet. Just, really, not okay, and we don't want to go down this road of hassle. Give them this link: http://gpl-violations.org/ I'd say its overdue that they are signed up on that list.

I have very good contact with GPH and as soon as I have anything else solid regarding this matter I will tell you. I just thought I would kill the rumor that GPH were not going to release it. Please don't forget they are still a very busy bunch and the Wiz has not actually been out for long!

WarmFluffyUK said:
I have very good contact with GPH and as soon as I have anything else solid regarding this matter I will tell you. I just thought I would kill the rumor that GPH were not going to release it. Please don't forget they are still a very busy bunch and the Wiz has not actually been out for long!

Please WarmFluffy, we all know that it is important to maintain relations with GPH, but there is *no* need to justify their excuses any further. It costs *nothing* to make a tarball of the shipping kernel sources and put it somewhere. Its about as much work as it takes to send an email message. The excuses and hedging and vacillating over this issue are just ridiculous .. the Linux Kernel is *not their product*. There is no reason for them not to release the sources. Period. And the fact that they haven't released it is killing developer momentum, for sure.

Tell them this: it is murder to develop for Wiz without a console, and there are at least 8 people who would gladly get g_ether working properly so that developers can actually debug their works. They need to sort it out ..

I really shouldn't have mentioned it until I have the full info, I was only trying to help. All I was trying to do was dispel the myth that GPH would not be releasing it, I will leave you all to squabble over the semantics of this thread.

I think the problem is that you have *no* information. It is not the best idea to try and speak on behalf of other people without any, you make both parties look daft.

Orkie said:
I think the problem is that you have *no* information. It is not the best idea to try and speak on behalf of other people without any, you make both parties look daft.
Which part of "They ARE going to release it" did you not get. That's the info I wanted to convay to you guys as it seemed like you were under the impression it was NOT going to be released, and I can see now this is a sore subject with you and like I said I just wanted to inform you it will be available. Please stop being horrible, I inform you of something and you give me hassle, thanks a bunch guys.

I have said it before and I will say it this one last time, "I am only trying to help, so please don't shoot the messenger!".

Question: Would you prefer me to NOT give you feedback regarding this subject? If you don't then I will not continue to chase it up with GPH and let you guys carry on as you were. I have a lot more questions requiring feedback from GPH I could put more focus on. I would however like to try and give everyone information from them, if you will allow me without jumping on me in future.

I guess it is mandatory for them to release kernel source code, otherwise wouldn't it be GPL violation ?

Back