Where Can I Get Pandora Analogue Joysticks?

bacteria

Modder & Portablizer
Website
moddedbybacteria.wordpress.com
I am after nice flat analogue joysticks for my modding work; tried ones from the PSP but they are crap as they don't auto center properly or reliably, and don't have progressive movement (ie the more you move the stick one way the more your character moves quicker).

I hear the Pandora joysticks are better (is this correct) - if so, anyone know where I can buy a few of them please??

I want nice flat analogue joysticks as they don't stick out of a portable like normal joysticks do. My next project will need a joystick and I would prefer uniformity across my future projects if I can!

Comments appreciated, and alternatives, if I can't buy these!

The nubs are custom designed for the Pandora, you will have to ask a team member if they will sell you some.

bacteria posted on May 17 2009 at 08:27 AM said:
...tried ones from the PSP but they are crap...don't have progressive movement (ie the more you move the stick one way the more your character moves quicker).
Isn't this the defining characteristic of an analogue stick? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
dont forget the nubs have their own controller and not easily soldered onto the board, also your microprocessor might not have the io to support the controllers
My guess you would have to order in 1k range if you got them straight form the factory. I dont know if you could but any from openandora

- if so, anyone know where I can buy a few of them please??

I want nice flat analogue joysticks as they don't stick out of a portable like normal joysticks do. My next project will need a joystick and I would prefer uniformity across my future projects if I can!

They are a custom made part. How many might you want?

Alpha2 posted on May 17 2009 at 01:48 AM said:
the PSP nubs do have progresive movement they're just too small for some people to actually use properly.
That, and the fact a lot of games have the analog stick programmed to act like a non progressive type, or have stupidly large dead zones.

I hear the Pandora joysticks are better (is this correct"] - if so, anyone know where I can buy a few of them please??

They are a custom made part. How many might you want?[/quote]craigx - probably need about six for my own projects, hard to tell. Thing is, if they prove good, some other people might want to buy some from me (as components for console projects) or via you directly if you prefer (I don't mind either way). Sometimes people buy stuff off me in regards to console portablizing; I imagine if I get success with your joysticks that some will want some too.

Is there any chance I can buy say 3 initially from you to see how they fare in my projects, with a view of getting more later? I can pay via PayPal - please PM me with the cost.

Could you post a pic with the pinout of where the VCC, ground, H and V connect to please on the joystick?

Alpha2 - I tested a PSP joystick on a third party N64 controller, not only was the fact the stick didn't center properly a pain (and I subsequently have seen articles on the subject too) but when using it on Donkey Kong 64 on the N64, when you move the stick slightly the character is meant to tip-toe, move it a bit more, walk, further, run - whereas the character either stops or runs with the PSP joystick.

Looking forward to your comments craigx (and quote for supplying some?) - my application is that these joysticks are nice and flat, so far better in a portable console; assuming of course they are far better than the PSP sticks of course! - comments?

MDave posted on May 17 2009 at 11:33 AM said:
Alpha2 posted on May 17 2009 at 01:48 AM said:
the PSP nubs do have progresive movement they're just too small for some people to actually use properly.
That, and the fact a lot of games have the analog stick programmed to act like a non progressive type, or have stupidly large dead zones.
That's not the stick's fault. It's the stupid coders of the games.

surt posted on May 17 2009 at 12:21 AM said:
bacteria posted on May 17 2009 at 08:27 AM) ...tried ones from the PSP but they are crap...don't have progressive movement (ie the more you move the stick one way the more your character moves quicker said:
Isn't this the defining characteristic of an analogue stick? :huh:
Well yes, but also the 360 degrees of direction to point in compared to 8 for a D-pad.

I may also be interested in buying 50 or so to use in my robotics projects, and sell through my robot parts store!

(depending on the price of course!)

javaJake posted on May 17 2009 at 02:19 PM said:
craigix posted on May 16 2009 at 09:02 PM said:
Am I incorrect in thinking that this is unusual?
I can't tell if he's serious or not.
Even if he is, weren't they going to stock extra/replacement parts for the Pandora anyways?

javaJake posted on May 17 2009 at 03:19 PM said:
craigix posted on May 16 2009 at 09:02 PM said:
Am I incorrect in thinking that this is unusual?
I don't see why it would be... Sure, they won't release some of the lower-level hardware specs, but I'm sure they'd be willing to sell some of the parts that they had custom made for them (like the analog nubs).

craigix posted on May 17 2009 at 06:10 PM said:
They are about $6.50 each. Similar price to the genuine PSP one I believe.
Tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full:

Craigx,

You mentioned the Pandora joysticks are $6.50 each; can I buy 3 please? What's the postage? I am UK, like you (I have bought various stuff from you in the past). Are you able to post some of them on ebay (I know you have an account on ebay) so I can buy some please? I presume as you are so involved in the Pandora that you can supply me, or point me to a link that does??

I presume the joysticks are self centering (properly), and connect to VCC, ground, H and V: do you have a pinout please for what connects to what solder points on the joystick please?

Thanks,

John

Here is a Video of the Nubs:
Video

I think it is a bit more complicated than just gnd v and h, I think the Nubs even have an own Firmware

Back