When Is The Dingoo A320 Sub Forum Being Added?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gibberish

if its going to happen, it needs to be soon i think. if this device is going to succeed it needs the backing of a forum like this - somewhere that will give it the best exposure possible and somewhere that well known, talented developers already frequent.
dealextreme are due a new batch before the end of the month and i guess this is when gbax when will be receiving theirs as well, so there are going to be swathes of homeless people looking for somewhere to reside. it would do the forum and the community in general a great favour i think if there was somewhere proper for us to go.
i have seen a couple of small forums open up already, but they are half arsed and basically dead... whereas i have seen many comments on youtube and elsewhere asking about this thing and asking where they can go to buy it and more importantly talk about it. i really think that this should be the place... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
...just after Gizmondo subforum will apear...
we already have one unborn bastard console here (pandora)

The ones who wants it here even do not know that it should be posted in "suggestions" instead of "other consoles"

yeah thanks guys. 3 threads for it wasnt enough. you needed to make another one. at first glance it would appear that this DOES call for another subforum but then you see its the same 4 or 5 people and should have just gone into one of the other threads.

'quasist' said:
...just after Gizmondo subforum will apear...
we already have one unborn bastard console here (pandora)
Two unborn consoles actually. ;) The Dingoo, however, is well and truly in the wild.

Someone help me out here, what resources are there for actually developing for this thing?

Considering I haven't even seen so much as a 'hello world' on this unit, even I'm starting to give up on this thing anyway.

At the very least a workable SDK would give people some hope. Without that what's the point of even giving it a forum?

Exophase said:
Someone help me out here, what resources are there for actually developing for this thing?
The SDK can be downloaded from Orkie's homepage :D

CODE
http://x11.gp2x.de/a320

And the Ingenic ftp has a lot of resources:

CODE
ftp.ingenic.cn

but is slow as hell

I got the sources for my overclocking program from there. The mplayer sources also have an interesting file: jz_mxu.h with the Ingenic Media Extension Instruction Set (MXU) and the C equivalent, for example:

CODE
#ifdef WIN32
#define S32I2M(xr, r) if (&xr != mxu_xr) xr = r
#define S32M2I(xr) xr
#define S32LDD(xr, p, o) if (&xr != mxu_xr) xr = *(long*)((unsigned long)p + o)
#define S32STD(xr, p, o) *(long*)((unsigned long)p + o) = xr

#define S32LDDV(xr, p, o, s) if (&xr != mxu_xr) xr = *(long*)((unsigned long)p + ((o) << s))
#define S32STDV(xr, p, o, s) *(long*)((unsigned long)p + ((o) << s)) = xr
/*************************************MOVE********************************/
#define S32I2M(xra,rb) \
do { \
__asm__ __volatile ("S32I2M xr%0,%z1" \
: \
:"K"(xra),"d"(rb)); \
} while (0)

#define S32M2I(xra) \
__extension__ ({ \
int __d; \
__asm__ __volatile ("S32M2I xr%1, %0" \
:"=d"(__d) \
:"K"(xra)); \
__d; \
})

Those are "media" extensions? Looks like it just adds decent load/store address modes like every other processor has. Which, don't get me wrong, are nice to finally have on a MIPS platform, but it's a far cry from the usual stuff you'd expect in something calling itself media extensions.

Hopefully they work on the main register file, or they'd be pretty useless. Maybe there are more instructions than just those.

EDIT: Never mind, looks like you were just posting a small part of the file.

I'm uploading all the Ingenic FTP stuff (minus the linux part) to megaupload for those interested.

The full jz_mxu.h:

CODE
http://pastebin.com/f442c9e6e

EDIT: Megaupload link (400 MB)

CODE
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JMEHCKGP

The linux part:

CODE
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4F94ECV0

Looks like the machine has massive potential. With working emulators from launch and TV out, combined with a low price, I can see it being a success.

The question is, is anyone working on new/improved emulators for it? Mame and PC Engine would be nice.

'A600' said:
I'm uploading all the Ingenic FTP stuff (minus the linux part) to megaupload for those interested.
Many thanks for that, A600!

I haven't even succeeded in connecting to the Ingenic FTP site yet, never mind downloaded anything. :)

I agree that the dingoo should get its own subforum. Obviously I'm biased, because I bought one, but it's a device with a huge potential. It's really a shame to me that right now there's really no community behind it, because it sure as hell needs one. The only problems with it are in the software: bad (and I mean bad) translations, emulators that seem (except for gba which came from exophase, and nes which is hard to screw up) half-assed, not given enough attention. I'm not saying I regret buying it, I'm just saying that I wish we could get some developers behind it to give it the software it deserves, and having its own place on these forums could do that. And I don't think it's really a threat to the pandora or wiz, I think they're not aimed at the same people, there's overlap, yes, but not enough. I'm certainly not looking forward to getting my pandora any less.

Why bother with the Dingoo. If you want something with a tiny screen just get a Wiz. At least the OLED screen is a novelty.

Why buy a Dingoo over a Wiz?

Dingoo is half the price and has TV out.

Maybe?

'DaveC' said:
Why bother with the Dingoo. If you want something with a tiny screen just get a Wiz. At least the OLED screen is a novelty.
i think for some people (me included), the attrraction of the wiz is emulating old consoles in a device small enough to chuck in your pocket and not notice. since both devices have the capability of doing that, and given that the dingoo is substantially cheaper its pretty obvious why some people would choose the dingoo over the wiz. unless i see some breakthrough with psx or n64 emulation on the wiz, im probably just going to stick to the dingoo (and pandora).

'DaveC' said:
If you offer me a finished Wiz with 8 hours battery life, actual gaming buttons and a US$85 pricetag, sure I'd buy it over the A320. Unfortunately that doesn't exist :(

In my opinion the Dingo A320 is very interesting and cheap but....

The commercial life of these consoles seems very short, and probably when we will have the information to port emulators and games, the console won't exist anymore and will be replaced by a new better one... It happened with the JXD301 and probably it will happen with this one. It is a pitty :( ...

The WIZ and the Pandora are more expensive but they will be sold for years until new models will be out to replace them... Also take in account the Dingo A320 doesn't have an ARM processor and the ASM cores can't be used on it. Anyway i'm pretty sure i will get a Dingo A320 if there is enough information to code on it in the near future :rolleyes: .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back