When do you expect Pyra to be out?

When do you want it out? (Too lazy to type the full names :P)

• Mar

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Apr

• May

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jun

• Jul

• Aug

• Sep

• Oct

• Nov

• Dec

• Jan of 2015

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Feb of 2015

• You really want it only next year? Bastard.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • 2 Months(TM)

Votes: 27 75.0%

• Total voters

It's a race now, what comes first, the Pyra or a readily available 512GB SD card?
I don't think you'll be waiting long at all, I bet you'll see them within a month or two. There has never been a huge time gap between the biggest uSD cards and SD cards that are four times that capacity.

Then again, maybe demand for full SD cards has gone down enough to influence that.
Did demand go down?

I would  think that although CompactFlash and CFast is still very common in high-end high-res high-framerate cameras, UHS-I and UHS-II SDXC has a good chance to become the de facto standard. People will always want larger cards so they can record longer videos without having to swap cards.

I would think that although CompactFlash and CFast is still very common in high-end high-res high-framerate cameras, UHS-I and UHS-II SDXC has a good chance to become the de facto standard. People will always want larger cards so they can record longer videos without having to swap cards.
High-End High-Res high-framerate cameras usually record directly to a harddisk raid or another custom solution, as SD or CF Cards aren't big or fast enough.

They often record uncompressed... now imagine what datarate 500 - 1000 fps in FullHD or higher you'd have.

Professional cameras do not use SD or CF Cards at all, they use P2 (that's what I'm using), XDCam (Sony Cameras) or something else (like the harddisk raid I mentioned).

CompactFlash and CFast is still very common in high-end high-res high-framerate cameras
No so common anymore. I mean, still used, but their usage is dropping in more recent models. 
In favor of SD? Or are they inventing more proprietary stuff?
at least for consumer grade semi pro camera all cameras have moved to SD now. Nikon D800, sony a7 and canon 6d all use SDs.

That's photo, not video. Professional video cameras are between 5000 and 20,000 EUR, High-End (Broadcast) usually 100,000 EUR and up :)

I would think that although CompactFlash and CFast is still very common in high-end high-res high-framerate cameras, UHS-I and UHS-II SDXC has a good chance to become the de facto standard. People will always want larger cards so they can record longer videos without having to swap cards.
High-End High-Res high-framerate cameras usually record directly to a harddisk raid or another custom solution, as SD or CF Cards aren't big or fast enough.

They often record uncompressed... now imagine what datarate 500 - 1000 fps in FullHD or higher you'd have.

Professional cameras do not use SD or CF Cards at all, they use P2 (that's what I'm using), XDCam (Sony Cameras) or something else (like the harddisk raid I mentioned).
Yes, I didn't mean that high-end :) . If you're doing stuff like the slow-mo guys (I love that YouTube channel), you need something with a huge capacity and speed (essentially a huge amount of RAM buffers with a very fast raid behind it). They have cameras that can do more than 1 gigapixel per second, which means you need sustained write speeds of several gigabytes per second. Clearly an SD card isn't going to work for that stuff :) Even RAM can barely handle such speeds.

I was thinking about decent consumer cameras that do FullHD at 60 fps and maybe 4K at 30fps, with compression. They may need a sustained write of maybe 20 MB/s. At that rate, one hour of video takes about 70GB, so 128GB or 256GB cards are OK, but not as large as they may seem. There will be people who want to record more than 3.5 hours of video without having to swap cards.

Back