Whatsapp on Pyra?

I don't wanna seem rude, but seriously? The question of this thread is "is Whatsapp going to work on the Pyra (somehow)?" and NOT "does everyone around here hate Whatsapp?".

I'm not saying that WhatsApp is bad, I just don't like how it's locked down to a device thus having to use a web interface instead of signing in using credentials and sucking your phone battery as well as your computer (if it's a laptop). They have made "apps" for some platforms but still tie you to a phone.

Telegram just asks you to enter your phone number, sends a verification code to your email / phone number you specified and boom you're connected and untethered from whatever you were using.

A thing that I never understood is, why someone could be unable to contact other people because they use whatsapp ?
It uses the phone number... you can use the phone number too, in the worst case with your fingers... and by this point of view, people that uses it are more reachable than the ones that uses irc :p

Good point. That is also exactly why I do not have a mobile phone and use irc instead (though not all that often either :p).

Telegram has encryption too, including audio chat.

In fact, Telegram had it way before WhatssApp. Well, Telegram is years more advanced than WhatssApp.

WhatssApp is the classic shitty application for casual nobodies.

A thing that I never understood is, why someone could be unable to contact other people because they use whatsapp ?
It uses the phone number... you can use the phone number too, in the worst case with your fingers... and by this point of view, people that uses it are more reachable than the ones that uses irc :p
Large groups (with classmates, for example), as I mentioned earlier. It's not even really about being able to communicate, but about getting information that would otherwise be hard to obtain in time and/or about other people communicating to you.
At least that's the case for me.
It surely is possible to use all these different means of communication, but communication is not a one way street. In other words, the reason why WA is getting used by virtually everyone is not because most people love WA,
but rather because everyone is using it.

Well the question has been answered, you can't use it with just a Pyra unless you have Android in a VM or boot it from a MicroSD card. You can use the web version but then you need a separate Android or iPhone.

Signal has now a stand alone Desktop Client.
I've opened a new thread here in the Off topic section to discuss about it and compare it to other messenger apps.
And I would be happy if someone with more skill than me would have a look at it and tell me whether it will run on the Pyra or not ;)

Welcome to the Pyra forums, where every software you use is frowned upon.

The thing is, that works reflexively. I use Windows, I use Android, and What'sApp, and MS Office, Internet Explorer, dodgy OEM BIOSes, even big-name social media websites. I don't like any of them, and try to avoid them - but not at all costs. Even an introverted geek's tolerance of isolation has limits!

Sadly, technical quality isn't the only thing that matters in the software world...

Sadly, technical quality isn't the only thing that matters in the software world...
A sad truth.

However, I believe that there are other WhatsApp clients out there, that already mimic the behavior of the Android app pretty well.
Sadly Facebook is known for actively searching for them and removing them (I don't know if they are still doing that, but I can guess).

no no no no no no whatsapp no support no workarounds no nothing.
Use other devices to run whatsapp.
Do not waste dev time on whatsapp.

whatsapp is from hell.

Whatsapp provides official java based app for nokia phones. Can that run in linux ? I tried to run that with "java -jar " but it gave me "no main manifest attribute" error.

There is one Java Micro Emulator opensource.
With this you can use older Opera Browser and Java MobilePhone Apps under Linux and Windows.

I think i have seen that "Micro Emulator" in the Pandora Repo :)

good Luck for testing it with Whatsapp on Pandora/Pyra.

Just a wild thought,

Whatsapp web only works when the whatsapp app is online,
The app needs a phone number to get some sort of indentification ,
The Pyra can have a phone number but not run the app. But it CAN run the web app which needs the 'identified app' to be online.
so
wouldn't it be enough to just have a small program with the sim/app identification procedure (sms confirmation code) which runs as a daemon afterwards, doing it's security confirmation thing and then use whatsapp web as the gui, getting everything straight from their servers?

I have no clue how hard something like that would be to make, if even possible... It was just a brain fart :)

Back