Time frame/pre-order question

Jimi-James

Still Fresh
You guys probably get asked this a lot (though I couldn't find it when I searched the forums), but I just found out about this device and I can't wait for it to replace my iPhone/MacBook combo in a few years. I was wondering, if I want a 100% chance of having my own Pyra, do I need to pre-order? And if so, should I pre-order now, or can I wait a bit? I'm wondering because money's a bit tight right now and won't be as tight in the future.

There never has been a 100% guaranteed chance that the Pyra will get produced. I see it as highly likely to be, but there are no guarantees of it until they actually start shipping.

To my understanding, the prototype, the pre-pre and pre-orders then general purchase would get serviced in that order. But - luckily for you the intention is to have this device eventually be available for purchase in-stock. To be realistic, though, that 'in-stock' status is possibly 6+ months away.

Oh, alright. Well, that's something, since I was expecting longer than 6 months. Unless you mean 6 months AFTER the pre-orders ship?

Everything is really just a best guess at this point. Anything could cause a delay. Currently it looks like we will be able to get them in the second half of the year.

Regarding replacing your Apple devices, make sure your expectations from the Pyra are realistic. Some/most commercial software may not be available due to running ARM Linux, and voice and text functionality may take a while to mature to the point where it is tolerable to you, if it happens at all. Don't think it will be like your iPhone and able to do everything smoothly with a fancy user interface as soon as we get the devices in hand. These are being made for a small community, not for mass consumption by consumers by a corporation. If you are willing to stick with it and lend a hand when possible you can help shape the future of the Pyra.

Oh, don't worry about that. I mainly use Arch, and only use those Apple devices because they have been the only way to have a handheld device that can do everything I want, including (and here's the main reason) SMS on a real keyboard (that Messages feature on OS X). I've done enough research to know the Pyra is everything I want (including that SMS thing, thanks to many CLI programs and Google Voice).

Well, preordering is not possible at the moment.
As soon as the prototypes are out and working, we can place the order for the mass production and then it's foreseeable when the units will be ready.
So once the preordering starts, I can give you a pretty good estimation :)

We have to produce at least 1000 units, but there's no limit how many we can produce.
So if we get 2000 preorders, we will produce 2000 units at once.

We can probably produce and ship 200 - 300 units per week (probably even more, as the machine can produce all 2000 in 2 days, the rest is assembly and you can hire more people for that if need be).

The units will be shipped in the order of the final payment (the preorder is just a downpayment, approx. half of the final payment), the first 200 produced units are reserved for the pre-preorders.

Let me know if you have any more questions :)

Back