Whats Wrong With It?

evilmarshy

Still Fresh
My gp2x mk2 has been working fine but all of a sudden now (about 15 mins ago) I turn it on and all I see is a pitch black screen and if I hold my ear close to the speaker I can hear a faint buzzing also the LED light is on. At first I was thinking a power problem, but was using my power adapter and it works fine, then just to check I tried it with batteries, the same thing happens. It's probably dead or it needs a break (I use it quite a lot).

Ughh, I hope it isn't I haven't been doing anything that could possibly brick it (Well I guess anything could brick it).

What's the last thing you have done with it?
Have you upsated the firmware? Have you used the NAND memory?
A brick can't be made just by playing something on the SD card I guess.

The last thing I did was play sam and max on scummvm, I don't think thats the problem since I've been playing it for the past week. I don't use the NAND and I haven't updated the firmware either.

No the batteries are perfectly fine and as I said it does the same with my power adapter.

How many times did you reboot your 2X?
Sometimes (very rarely) mine doesn't boot and gives me black screen after the two splash screens.
Did you put an alternative file browser (menu2X)?
If you need need to test with batteries, try it with rechargeable, because with some "normal" batteries the 2X won't boot.

It's black instantly with me I see no boot screens at all, I have gmenu2x but auto boot is disabled in my system settings. My batteries are rechargeable

no coloured bars? That usually indicates a bricked unit.

and if no sound comes out the speakers when you switch it on means the lcd isn't the faulty part.

If it's just black the same as just leaving it switched off, then it sounds like faulty hardware.

There is sound theres a slight buzz. When you mention it the screen isn't black it's like it isn't on.

Did you use the GPH powersupply?
If the screen didn't power on and there's a buzz... Strange!
Perhaps EvilDragon or someone else seen this before!?

No I don't have a GPH powersupply, I use one of those universal ones, and it works great, it's set to 3v and the polarity is correct. Strange thing is it does exactly the same thing as batteries. I think it has to be broken or fallen off hardware because I may have knocked it about. If it were bricked the backlight would turn on at least wouldn't it?

The final thing you can do before sending it back or attempting a repair is try 4.5V if your adaptor supports such a feature.

Yes and double check polarity, you never know!
Also check that it's 3.3V (up to 4.5V) @ 1A (2.0A peak)

evilmarshyx said:
No I don't have a GPH powersupply, I use one of those universal ones, and it works great, it's set to 3v and the polarity is correct. Strange thing is it does exactly the same thing as batteries. I think it has to be broken or fallen off hardware because I may have knocked it about. If it were bricked the backlight would turn on at least wouldn't it?
Or a fried part. Is it a quality universal powersupply ?
I don't know about the backlight.

Last edited by a moderator:
uhh Ill give it a go, but as I said it's doing the exact same thing with fully charged batteries. I don't think its a fried part, proabably fallen off or damaged part from it being knocked about, around the time I was using batteries so I don't think I could have fried anything, unless overclocking could be the culprit?

EDIT:
YAY, set it at 4.5 and it powered on perfectly, now some questions.

Why do I have to set it to 4.5v now? It has been working perfectly at 3v for the past year.

Is it safe to keep it on 4.5v?

Can I turn it back to 3v?

Also what about batteries, will it work with them anymore?

Thanks for the support everyone

Back