What's To Stop Copycats?

Anubis said:
You can purchase the OMAP from every TI distributor including DigiKey:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch...p;keywords=OMAP

Did you look at your links before posting?

You can buy the OMAP3530 in teh faboulus quantity of 35 (thirty-five). Now calculate how many devices they could build. Wait, i do it for you: 35!

If I did the information on this site wrong like what "Quantity Available" means, then take it as a joke :)

But after seeing htis link (your first) I don't even bother to click the other three.

something to the "complexity of copying". Don't underestimate the Cinese. i am not in electronics, but I see some Chinese students at my iniversity who can learn 50 to 100 pages of complex mathematical stuff BY HEART for an examen.

Last edited by a moderator:
if they try to copy the pandora and sell it they would lose money or just not make much sales. from all the progress it seem to me it's difficult to fit so much in such a small case. they can't sell them much cheaper since the pandora is already cheap, so they won't be making much profit. if the software side sucks then no body would want it anywhere. no one would go through all that just to only sell about a few thousand products, then there is warrenty aspect that would cost them more money.

there isn't anything on the market right now that is as cheap as the pandora with the same performance and feature. i can't even see any other major manufacturer wanting to make anything too complex like the pandora. they want to copycat handhelds and ipod nano because those sell millions, not to copy something that is complex and , respectfully, doesn't sell anything (yet).

Even if they got the OMAP3 they would have to find a factory that could handle it and 99% of Chinese factories can't - and the ones that can would not be the kind to go for clone devices, the same goes for the 8 layer PCB.

They would also have to get the Wifi chip, the RAM etc.

Can't see it happening, I can see a JXD in a Pandora case though with a 320*240 LCD.

I'd probably get one just to see it!

I thing that the best chinese clone we'll get is a "POPandora" which can run some Tetris clone.

I agree, I don't think the Chinese will really will do anything here. Was just pointing out some factual information.

Yes I did look at the links. The OMAP is widely available. You can order any quantity you want. Digikey does basic stock. Anything over the quantity on hand is just a short lead time. We order allot of product from digikey. Including the OMAP. We are using the OMAP in a few products now.

There are many shops that can handle 8 layer and the OMAP in China and Taiwan, its where all the worlds electronics are made. I have to visit China about every 2 months for the products we build. Most of the good factories are outside of Shenzhen in Dongguan. You just have to know where to look and its not alibaba where you'll find them.

But I will admit it was a struggle with the OMAP considering the memory stacking.

On a side note if you haven't selected the manufacture for injection molding I can recommend one. They come from about 10yrs worth of trial and error with Chinese companies. This place understand western practices.

Might take it up with the dev team then if you would care to share your knowledge. Maybe not for the initial batch, but it might be useful for them for the next batches?

Anubis said:
Yes I did look at the links. The OMAP is widely available. You can order any quantity you want. Digikey does basic stock. Anything over the quantity on hand is just a short lead time. We order allot of product from digikey. Including the OMAP. We are using the OMAP in a few products now.
Ah Ok. I don't know much about such things. I was just amused by the 35 quantity :)

I think the Chinese copys will not be a problem for openPandora... except.. if they take credit cards... *hides*

edit: typos

Creature XL said:
I think the Chinese copys will not be a problem for openPandora... except.. if they take credit cards... *hides*
edit: typos
:lol:

craigix said:
Can't see it happening, I can see a JXD in a Pandora case though with a 320*240 LCD.

I'd probably get one just to see it!
I want a Game King in a Pandora case... B) If anything like this gets made, please resell it so we can get them, too! :D

Creature XL said:
Don't underestimate the Cinese. i am not in electronics, but I see some Chinese students at my iniversity who can learn 50 to 100 pages of complex mathematical stuff BY HEART for an examen.

Don't overestimate them. Learning such staff by heart is not about some Chinese students, but about some students' ability. I'm studying behind my job (full time programmer) and family (3 children) and last two weeks spend by learning statistology (theory and math for statistics, regression analyzing, probability theory and so - it is not top difficulty but quite wide theme). I have 4 hours per day for learning and 4 hours for sleep. Two days ago I made exam (A grade, I little surprised myself). I'm not amazing student, I can't learn whole staff by heart, and it is really hard to do, but it can be done. So I guess that everything is about strong will and hard work. If you are pure Chinese man, you have strong will to hard work for you better future.
I thing that it is common Asian mentality, that if it works well, then copy it. So if some one get original idea and profiting from it, man other just copy this idea and profiting from it too. I guess that it is just about Eastern vs Western culture.
BTW, I'm not Chinese but Czech (Central Europe).

Back