What's the correct way to format a SD card for the gp2x ?

gurki

Still Fresh
Hello gp2x part of the forum,

I've got my gp2x out of storage to put up for sale in the trading section of the forum.

Though it is in good condition and works great, it does not detect the only SD card I have from the pre SDHC era. The SD card is not defective, I have tested the card in two laptops and it works.

It seems to me the SD card had to be formatted in a certain way but I can't remember how, the getting started page of the gp2x wiki is now 404, so I'm asking here for help or pointers on how to correctly format the SD card for the gp2x.

Thanks.

Thanks but this does not contain any information about how to format the SD card.
I cannot use the installation to SD card via mini-USB because the SD card is not detected by the gp2x.

I used fdisk to delete everything and create a new DOS partition table, then added a new partition starting at sector 2048 and filling the whole card, sector size si 512 bytes and the partition type is W95 FAT32.

here is the fdisk output:

Code:
Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 1,9 GiB, 2007498752 bytes, 3920896 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xe98e8237

Device         Boot Start     End Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/mmcblk0p1       2048 3919871 3917824  1,9G  b W95 FAT32

If you're trying to use a pre-SDHC card it should properly be formatted to FAT16 I believe.

I don't mean that in the sense of it should work in the GP2X if you do that - just that pre-HC cards were formatted that way when they were new IIRC.

I have a f100 with firmware 2.1.1 but I think this SD card is supposed to be compatible because it was stored alongside the console, could a wrong assumption though.

I'll try the FAT16 route and see if this helps.

Another one think to check...the pins of SD card reader..if they are bent or dirty it could be responsible for not reading the card.

Back