Whats In Your Future Pandora/gadget Bag?

Rayek said:
If I needed as much entertainment so as to bring two handhelds (let alone three and two computers) I probably am on a fishing boat in the North Atlantic for two months or have an incredibly short attention span. I don't ever see me taking more than one type of video entertainment with me anywhere, unless I was moving. I went to live in Massachusetts for six months and brought my GP2X.

The features in the Pandora are to make it so you DON'T have to carry everything with you everywhere, and I don't think people would be fully utilizing their new gadget doing otherwise, kind of missing the point.

I tend to play two or three games at a time - no not actually at the same time - but like right now I'm playing Final Fantasy 2 Anniversary Ed. on my PSP, and Super Mario Adventure (Hacked NES game) on my DS Lite. Now, if I'm going to be gone for 2 weeks - I don't know when I might want to play either of those two games. (Yes, I could play the NES game on my PSP - but that's not always the case.) So I have to bring both.

As far as bringing two computers - computers aren't (just) fun for me - they are my job, my communications medium, my newspaper, my phonebook, my TV, and more. The reason I (might) need two - if I'm at a conference, the Eee PC is for in-class sessions - the Macbook is for doing work in the hotel room, where I can be plugged into a wall, and have a fullsized keyboard and a much bigger screen.

The Pandora might replace the Eee PC. Depends on how hard it is to type on it / how quickly I can buy another BlueTooth stowaway keyboard.

But, again, if the Pandora can't emulate a DS or a PSP - there will still be a need for those. Brain Age doesn't come on the Pandora. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure, but the hacked Mario rom will almost definitely work on the Pandora. And NDS emulation hasn't been totally ruled out on the Pandora. PSP's lineup is disposable to me, pretty much, plus I'd already bought and sold one, so there's not much for me there. Even if I had these handhelds I'd probably just favor the Pandora to keep things nice and slim. Plus, how many good games have you passed up from the PSX/N64 generation? or before that, even? and all available on your Pandora... That would keep me busy. At least until something new comes out that emulates Dreamcast/Sega Saturn.

I guess I understand about the PC, but PCs can also play new games, and emulate all the systems in question, not to mention, do everything that you require from a UMPC. So why bother carrying a Pandora, or a DS or PSP for that matter? I mean, if you're already carrying all that weight.

Yes, I will probably carry around the slim with cfw.Also, I will carry around my phone, and a DS lite with supercard. Though this will be for long,(I stress long) trips. For casual use just it and my phone.

Pandora.
->SD Cards (probably a fast 8GB SD Card for apps and games, and a cheap 32GB Card for movies, mp3 and photos).
->Headphones.
->BT Earphone.
->BT GPS (if possible).

Pandora, Neo Freerunner, a nice pair of headphones in pocket. As for bag, extra debug board for Neo, misc. cables and power adapters.

Rayek said:
Sure, but the hacked Mario rom will almost definitely work on the Pandora.
I said that the hacked ROM could be played on my PSP as well - it just so happens that the DS game I'm playing now is a NES game - that's not always the case, for a long time I was playing Phantom Hourglass on my DS and GTA VCS on my PSP. Both native games.QUOTE
And NDS emulation hasn't been totally ruled out on the Pandora.
When and if that happens - I will most likely keep my DS Lite. Most emulators have some games they won't play - or won't play well - at least not as well as the real thing. Plus, with the DS especially, there are form factor issues. If you tried to put the DS images on top of each other, stacked, like they appear on the DS (which you have plenty of room for as far as pixels go) the actual size they would appear would be too small to play on. (See image below.)

(if your screen is 72ppi, then this is close to real size. If it's 96, like mine, it's a bit small.)

You could grow them a little bit, but not much.

You could do other things, like put them side-by-side, or worse, rotate them 90º - but - with the exception of a very few games - that won't work, either. Even if that somehow was "playable" - it will never be as playable as it is on my DS.

Plus, how many good games have you passed up from the PSX/N64 generation? or before that, even? and all available on your Pandora...
Well, my PSP does PS1 games pretty good.

And, yes, I'm looking forward to Super Mario 64 and Smash Bros. on the go. But, the thing is, why exclude current games when I don't have to? It's not going to cost me anything to keep my DS and PSP. So I add the Pandora, keep my others - and I have access to everything each system can do.

I guess I understand about the PC, but PCs can also play new games, and emulate all the systems in question, not to mention, do everything that you require from a UMPC. So why bother carrying a Pandora, or a DS or PSP for that matter? I mean, if you're already carrying all that weight.

*Sigh* A PC isn't pocketable. A PC doesn't have game controls. A PC can't emulate a DS - not properly without a touchscreen, which I don't have. A PC isn't handheld. A PC's battery life isn't as good.

Specific devices for specific tasks. I mean, you have a computer, right? You're not typing this with your mind, are you? Then why do you want a Pandora? You can already emulate all the systems the Pandora can. It's the same question you just asked me.

I want a UMPC. I had a N800 and I loved it. The only reason I traded it for an Eee PC is because I have always wanted to try out a Eee PC, and this way it didn't cost me any money, just a device that I fully plan on replacing with a more powerful system (the Pandora) in a few months. The Pandora will be in my pocket the vast majority of the time - as my "catch-all" system. But if I'm going to be traveling, I don't want to be limited to just what the Pandora can do. People on this very forum have made huge deals about "Why are you comparing the Pandora to the Eee PC? They are totally different!" "Why are you comparing it to the iPhone/DS/PSP/etc.? They are totally different!" --- Now we have the opposite being said.

The Pandora can (assuming the software develops for it) do a lot of what those other devices can do. But there are form factor differences that make other devices more desirable in different circumstances. There are specific abilities (like playing MegaMan Powered Up!, running iWork, making telephone calls) that the Pandora lacks that my other devices have. And I'm just boyscoutish / OCD enough to be prepared for those needs when I travel.

If it makes you feel better - the Pandora and the Macbook would be the ones I take on the plane. And the Pandora would be the only one I would use on the plane. (I just don't trust TSA with my laptop.)

2x 32gb SDHC and Stylus inside of pandora.
500gb external hd (very very small)
Mobile broadband modem (3g) (huawei e220) if kernel will be updated to 2.6.20 or higher
Headphones

(if in a FPS mood i will also bring)
2x usb hubs (made them myself, only 2 usb females in each and they are very very very small sized)
mouse (a smaller mouse) and keyboard (portable)

filiph.ps said:
(if in a FPS mood i will also bring)
2x usb hubs (made them myself, only 2 usb females in each and they are very very very small sized)
mouse (a smaller mouse) and keyboard (portable)

You could use BlueTooth for the KB/Mouse.

chad78 said:
*Sigh* A PC isn't pocketable. A PC doesn't have game controls. A PC can't emulate a DS - not properly without a touchscreen, which I don't have. A PC isn't handheld. A PC's battery life isn't as good.

Specific devices for specific tasks. I mean, you have a computer, right? You're not typing this with your mind, are you? Then why do you want a Pandora? You can already emulate all the systems the Pandora can. It's the same question you just asked me.
Not exactly, since I don't plan on taking my house with me everywhere I go. So a Pandora's pocketable... A laptop isn't. Therefore, I probably won't be taking a laptop AND a Pandora in the same bag. When I don't want to carry a laptop with me, I'll take a Pandora and leave the laptop at home. If I'm already taking a laptop and lugging that around, why take anything else?

Rayek said:
If I'm already taking a laptop and lugging that around, why take anything else?
Because when I go on a trip - I don't carry all my luggage with me everywhere I go. When I go out to eat - my suitcases are back at the hotel.

When I go on a trip.... Which is the only time I'd take my laptop, DS, PSP, Pandora, phone, et. al. - I plan on leaving some things in the hotel room most of the time. When I'm just walking out the door - either from my house or the hotel room - see my first post in this thread. Pandora, maybe a BT keyboard - maybe - cell phone, some storage, and headphones. I'll probably get some sort of case for the extras so I'll just have 3 things to grab - phone, pandora, accessories case. When it's to the supermarket or something - I'll probably just have the phone.

But, if I'm on vacation or at a conference, or visiting relatives - I don't know what all I will need. So I overpack my gear. If you're just talking about headed to the coffee shop - Pandora with accessories *or* Eee PC *or* Macbook. Not all three. Trips are different than commutes.

Even after hearing you explain, it still seems way too excessive. Perhaps when people realize the potential of the gaming aspect of the system we'll 'forget' about the DS and the PSP... :p

I don't even plan on getting a BT mouse or a keyboard for the Pandora. Why lug all that stuff? You might as well have your EeePC because a Pandora, a BT KB, headphones, and a harddrive are probably heavier and more of a pain to lug around than a little laptop.

chad78 said:
I want a UMPC. I had a N800 and I loved it. The only reason I traded it for an Eee PC is because I have always wanted to try out a Eee PC, and this way it didn't cost me any money, just a device that I fully plan on replacing with a more powerful system (the Pandora) in a few months. The Pandora will be in my pocket the vast majority of the time - as my "catch-all" system. But if I'm going to be traveling, I don't want to be limited to just what the Pandora can do. People on this very forum have made huge deals about "Why are you comparing the Pandora to the Eee PC? They are totally different!" "Why are you comparing it to the iPhone/DS/PSP/etc.? They are totally different!" --- Now we have the opposite being said.
You traded off the pocketable N800 for an eeePC? :blink: Heh... I didn't trade off- but then, I'm such the gadget freak. I use the N800 for simple stuff like keeping notes, e-books, light-duty stuff. The eeePC, while it's nice, is still a largish device- and while it will serve in a pinch for a laptop better than an N800, the N800 still has uses in my book.

The Pandora can (assuming the software develops for it) do a lot of what those other devices can do. But there are form factor differences that make other devices more desirable in different circumstances. There are specific abilities (like playing MegaMan Powered Up!, running iWork, making telephone calls) that the Pandora lacks that my other devices have. And I'm just boyscoutish / OCD enough to be prepared for those needs when I travel.

Heh... There's a reason I've the two UMPC devices now. Each one fills a range of applications- decently enough that it would be a range of differing things, depending on plan as to what got carted around.

If it makes you feel better - the Pandora and the Macbook would be the ones I take on the plane. And the Pandora would be the only one I would use on the plane. (I just don't trust TSA with my laptop.)

In my case, it'd be either N800 or eeePC and the 17" laptop right now, and in a couple of days, most likely the Pandora and/or the eeePC (Still depends on what I'm doing professionally on the trip- Backtrack doesn't run on a Pandora...yet... ;) ) and then the laptop. And +1 on the TSA remark- that lot makes United Package Smashers look tame in comparison... :D

I solved my curiosity for the EEE PC very nicely, I bought one for my girlfriend. =)

Svartalf said:
You traded off the pocketable N800 for an eeePC? :blink: ... the N800 still has uses in my book.
Absolutely. The N800 is better than the Eee PC in many ways. I basically traded the N800 for the Pandora - in theory. I will do without the N800, and the pocketablity that it offered, in the wait for the Pandora. The Eee PC is just something I wanted to try, and the opportunity to do a straight trade of a N800 for a Eee PC doesn't come along that often. While the N800 might be more useful than the Eee PC is many cases, it's never more expensive.

Let me put it this way, if all else fails I can buy another N800 for less than I would have paid for the Eee PC I have now. (It's been modded - overclocked to 1 Ghz, 2 GB of RAM, running XP Pro SP2, came with a BlueTooth module, external 20 GB HD, 2 GB SD card, and wireless mouse. I traded a N800, no SD Card, USB gender changer, BT Stowaway keyboard, and a cheap case I had for it. I could replace all of those things today for under $250.)

chad78 said:
Absolutely. The N800 is better than the Eee PC in many ways. I basically traded the N800 for the Pandora - in theory. I will do without the N800, and the pocketablity that it offered, in the wait for the Pandora. The Eee PC is just something I wanted to try, and the opportunity to do a straight trade of a N800 for a Eee PC doesn't come along that often. While the N800 might be more useful than the Eee PC is many cases, it's never more expensive.
Heh... I was teasing you more than anything else- you're as bad as I am, it seems, when it come to gagetry... ;)

Let me put it this way, if all else fails I can buy another N800 for less than I would have paid for the Eee PC I have now. (It's been modded - overclocked to 1 Ghz, 2 GB of RAM, running XP Pro SP2, came with a BlueTooth module, external 20 GB HD, 2 GB SD card, and wireless mouse. I traded a N800, no SD Card, USB gender changer, BT Stowaway keyboard, and a cheap case I had for it. I could replace all of those things today for under $250.)

Yep. As bad as I am- I've already got the 2Gb of RAM in mine and moving slowly through a similar upgrade/mod path. :D

Good bit of trading about, btb...

gadgetbagdh0.jpg

Just an image of my list to get this topic back on topic.

^Sorry, I don't get it - thats a lot of stuff to carry (and buy). By the time you've put it all together it takes up as much/more space than a laptop.

Back