What Will Be The First Application You Will Install/launch ?

'borgqueenx' said:
there are a couple of games running on full speed. maby i didnt need to say "with ease". but the psp got 333mhz and 32mb of ram(on the fat psp). so the pandora should really get full speed. without lag.
We still need to find a willing developer(s) first.

Last edited by a moderator:
'jakewastaken' said:
'God Ginrai' said:
'Raz' said:
Trillian is more awesome and it runs with WINE :D

But pidgin is an alternative and I believe it should come pre-installed (at laest it does in some linux distros)
Trillian is utter crud. I may not like pidgin so much because it doesn't have a few key features that I need, but it's so much better than Trillian that you shouldn't even consider that bloated program.

-God Ginrai

THIS. Seriously, Trillian sucks.

Back on topic:

I will try out Mplayer, PicoDrive, and PSX4Pandora first.

WINE does not, can not and will not work on the Pandora
(without hardware emulation, which will be useless since the Pandora is low end hardware compared to a desktop anyways, possibly 10% performance or less than native Panda apps)

aMSN for MSN, Pidgin for everything else. :) hope we'll get a port of aMSN. it's a clone, but it really makes using MSN easy. shame aMSN has some performance issues (freezing every so often, relatively high cpu % usage)

I don't think they were seriously talking about running Trillian on the Pandora.
I'm going to use Pidgin, but I think I should encrypt the passwords for it somehow, in case something horrible happens to my Pandora.

Holy shit, PSX4Pandora - Pretty much the only reason i'm buying it. Well, maybe not the ONLY reason, but it's one of it's main purposes for me. Hope it's able to run for hours on end. B) Probably internet usage too so I don't have to bring my laptop everywhere I go.

'CC_machine' said:
'jakewastaken' said:
'God Ginrai' said:
'Raz' said:
Trillian is more awesome and it runs with WINE :D

But pidgin is an alternative and I believe it should come pre-installed (at laest it does in some linux distros)
Trillian is utter crud. I may not like pidgin so much because it doesn't have a few key features that I need, but it's so much better than Trillian that you shouldn't even consider that bloated program.

-God Ginrai

THIS. Seriously, Trillian sucks.

Back on topic:

I will try out Mplayer, PicoDrive, and PSX4Pandora first.

WINE does not, can not and will not work on the Pandora
(without hardware emulation, which will be useless since the Pandora is low end hardware compared to a desktop anyways, possibly 10% performance or less than native Panda apps)

aMSN for MSN, Pidgin for everything else. :) hope we'll get a port of aMSN. it's a clone, but it really makes using MSN easy. shame aMSN has some performance issues (freezing every so often, relatively high cpu % usage)

Look, I can use bold and underline tags, too:

Read the DAMN posts before you go getting all preachy. jakewastaken was just agreeing with me that Trillian sucks. Both his and my posts never even suggested WINE. I know that WINE will not work on the Pandora and made no suggestion that it would. If you want to get bitchy about WINE to someone, quote the person who made the ignorant comment not the nearest post that had the ignorant comment in its quote pyramid.

Once again, I reiterate: Try reading before preaching, buddy.

-God Ginrai

'lulzfish' said:
'Alec ' said:
GRUB, or possibly syslinux. Depends on how it's set up.

Hmm, not really - it's boot sequence is (upto kernel) as follows (this is IIRC, please correct me if wrong):
TI BootRom -> X-loader -> u-boot -> kernel.

TI BootRom (on an ROM in the OMAP) - loads X-loader (from NAND, SD, USB or RS-232 (not sure of the order exactly). the user button changes the boot order (normally NAND first, if pressed NAND last)) to SRAM (64kB) on the OMAP

X-Loader initializes the DDR SDRAM (the very essentials to load more data), then loads u-boot.

u-boot does some more system hw init and loads the kernel.

So, you must start the TI BootRom in order to use it :p

Touche.

Once I get to the desktop though, I might connect to my home wireless network and upload the unboxing video, and try compiling some programs from my laptop's hard drive. I'm working on a small personal project that might be complete by the time the Pandora's out, and I'll have to give that a shot.

.. Then I'll remember I need to install the compiler or something, so I'll run a package manager or download it or whatever.

I will probably install ALL of the major things (Firefox,Mplayer,Emu's etc) make sure I have things for each and every one then once the card is jammed with enough stuff I will sit back and play for probably 2-3 straight days Only stopping to eat (Well watching video or something while I eat) and I don't have to stop to go to the bathroom :D
Once I have played all my games at least once, watched my video's, surfed the web, customized everything to my liking and just plain run out of steam I will collapse...and dream of waking to rinse and repeat... :D

N64 definatley "Praise the Lord :lol: "

I was gonna say Angstrom but somebody already stole my thunder :p

More seriously I would probably run PandaSNES or Picodrive (whichever I see first :ph34r: )

'borgqueenx' said:
'God Ginrai' said:
'calc84maniac' said:
N64 emulation.

You know you want it.
I know I want it, but that doesn't mean it will happen straight off.

'borgqueenx' said:
and for games, i really hope i''l be able to play full speed N64 games soon. the psp can do it with ease, so the pandora should achive 100% compability and 100% speed.
What world do you live in? The PSP in no way emulates N64 "with ease." It can emulate the N64 at slow framerates, that's definitely not "with ease."

-God Ginrai

there are a couple of games running on full speed. maby i didnt need to say "with ease". but the psp got 333mhz and 32mb of ram(on the fat psp). so the pandora should really get full speed. without lag.

I just wanted to add that the the psp has an advantage of emulation a N64 because both the psp and N64 use mips processors and the Pandora users an arm. Also a N64 only has about 4 megs of ram so the extra ram the Pandora has might not help that much. I would not be too optimistic about seeing N64 emulation any time soon.

'Mithrildor' said:
Dont start about the n64 again. We know its possible , but we also know noone is working on it. So quit the n64 discussion and go back on topic plz
Sorry... <.< but I gotta address this:

'aaronson911' said:
'borgqueenx' said:
'God Ginrai' said:
''calc84maniac'' said:
N64 emulation.

You know you want it.
I know I want it, but that doesn''t mean it will happen straight off.

''borgqueenx'' said:
and for games, i really hope i''''l be able to play full speed N64 games soon. the psp can do it with ease, so the pandora should achive 100% compability and 100% speed.
What world do you live in? The PSP in no way emulates N64 "with ease." It can emulate the N64 at slow framerates, that''s definitely not "with ease."

-God Ginrai

I just wanted to add that the the psp has an advantage of emulation a N64 because both the psp and N64 use mips processors and the Pandora users an arm. Also a N64 only has about 4 megs of ram so the extra ram the Pandora has might not help that much. I would not be too optimistic about seeing N64 emulation any time soon.

Similar processors only matters if you are going to try to execute the code of the system on the emulating system. That would not give much if any performance increase on the PSP, and you would be much better off sticking to HLE, which is what Daedalus does. And with the much better processor that the Pandora has, the code has a chance of reaching better speeds once optimized than it would ever reach on the PSP.

Also, RAM isn't only used for replacing the ram of the emulated system. Emulators don't just read the code and run it. They normally have to mimic parts of the hardware so that the games can run correctly, you will need a decent amount of ram to be able to hold the data for this pseudo-hardware. Also, the N64 is a cartridge based system, which means the game's ROM (Read-Only Memory) has to be fully in Memory the whole time, and seeing as how N64 roms can go up to 64MB, that proves that for some games, the PSP doesn't even have enough RAM to run them. The Pandora's RAM will definitely help to deal with these problems.

-God Ginrai

Back