What The Icontrolpad Can Teach Us About The Pandora

GunPei2X said:
MagicPants said:
I'd vote for the buttons to be labeled 1 through 4 and the shoulders to be 5 and 6. Sure it doesn't match any first party scheme but it makes setting up the buttons so much simpler.
Slight problem if a game/program says "Press 2 to do [x]" -- does it mean the joypad 2 or button 2? You would need a standard of, for example, "Press J2" or "Press B2".

Although the same would happen for ABXYLR names :p

Last edited by a moderator:
MagicPants said:
The most sensible button layout I've seen for an after market controller was from logitech where the buttons are labeled 1-10 and correspond directly with the button index in windows(yeah I know Pandora is linux).

I'd vote for the buttons to be labeled 1 through 4 and the shoulders to be 5 and 6. Sure it doesn't match any first party scheme but it makes setting up the buttons so much simpler.
Sure, but what happens when the OS/App is using the 0-5 scheme instead of the 1-6 scheme? I have had this and it is very confusing (well, I lived to tell of it, but still it is fun to encounter for the first time :p )

Man that Icontrolpad looks killer! I almost want a Itouch now instead of a Pandora (not quite, it is still only 8 buttons), $200 on ebay for the Ipod touch, too bad you can't get more storage on it :(

really doesn't make a difference if we can remap the buttons anyway
i also like the snes layout mostly cause i'm familiar with it

GunPei2X said:
Sounds like you could just open the sucker up and switch around the buttons as you wish anyway, so what's the big deal?
That won't match ingame text, though, will it?
"Press A to shoot!" Well, I put A where X was and Y where A was so I've got to press... Y?

OrR said:
GunPei2X said:
Sounds like you could just open the sucker up and switch around the buttons as you wish anyway, so what's the big deal?
That won't match ingame text, though, will it?
"Press A to shoot!" Well, I put A where X was and Y where A was so I've got to press... Y?

They mean for an SNES emulator, so that the ingame text Will match up.

MWeston said:
Actually, the buttons are designed to be placed in any of the holes, so we were just planning on using the SNES layout. It really doesn't seem like a legal concern Nintendo would care about but iControlPad will be a test run for Pandora and we shall see what happens!
So if I've read this correctly the Icontrolpad will be released first with the Pandora shortly after and depending on feedback of the Icontrolpad there may be changes to Pandora's layout?

Apple should be your biggest legal concern not Nintendo. An unlicensed product that requires a hack will definitely catch the eye of Apple. Lets hope they don't take a tip from Sony and sue the Icontrolpad into oblivion.

What with the app store having just opened, and news that the Iphone is more powerful than the DS and PSP put together, I think apple would be stupid not to try and buy in to the iControlPad in some way, for example licence it and sell it via their site.

Nova said:
What with the app store having just opened, and news that the Iphone is more powerful than the DS and PSP put together, I think apple would be stupid not to try and buy in to the iControlPad in some way, for example licence it and sell it via their site.
That actually brings up a good point. Its hard not to believe that Apples' techs haven't already presented the execs with the same idea. I wonder if Apple doesn't have something similar to the iControlpad already in development. Why split the profits when Apple can have them all.

Sega said it was less powerful than the psp, and as they have released a game for it, im inclined to believe them.

Back