What The Heck To I Do, I Bought The Old Gp32 Like A Moron, Or: My 210

obelisk

Still Fresh
Hi... im oliver, i bought a gp32 on ebay. i bought smc's (2 of them), im a little bit ticked. not too much, i mean, im ok in the fact that i know i should have bought a keg or a DS, but since i got this thing i thought i should try to acquire help.

I've trie dto install the gp32 on 3 computers, (1 XP, 2 win98)... it didn't get along right, or something with the software, just didn't work right.... my original pc is an xp running 1.8 gig unit, the other 2 are a 500 mhz HP, and a 300 mhz compaq. (those run 98) ... i've tried to formt the SMC via the program: mkdosfs, or whatever...the "recover" 1, it didn't work. the card reader doesn't come up in win98.

The GP32 is and old old old old old old old old old old old old old old 1, it's the 1st one (BIG FAT OOPSIE, 210 bux worth right????)

so, anyways, yeah i feel ike a moron.
i guess i need to maybe return it..... but i can't it was purchaased over ebay... i guess i should have bought that gba flash card 4 some emus. ... plz don't give me a list pf emus that the gp32 can run in response to that, i read it already and the only thing im concerned about now is how to get a keg next time i wanna buy a GP*** i've tried firelfy's drivers, and i have no clue how to get freelauncher or a firmware over to this hunk of junk via the USB connection or the card reader to the SMC.

Maybe i bought noth a bad GP32 and a bad set of cards.... and a bad reader too.... iif so, its my luck, but i'm not goin to put 300 dollars into something that doesn't / isn't going to do aanything 4 me.

PS: Im not an emo, i'm kinda ok, and if i knew this was gonna happen:
1. I would not have bought the thing.
2. I would not have bought the memory cards.
3. I wouldn't be here pissing everybody off, (if i am), for being such a noob and not buying a BLU. I maybe should have bought a keg or a gba flash card or gp2x... but wait, aren't those hard to deal with too?

big fat oopsie, and im sorry if im a moron in advance.

First let me ask, "Did your unit come with a SMC? If it did then there is a 50% chance the free launcher is on that card. If it did not come with any card, there is plenty of help in this help section by typing in the words "free launcher" in the search area.

I would stick with the XP computer, you will need the drivers installed on your computer for it to be able to see your gp32. They are available in the GP32 download area of this site. If you are going to use the link, then I would suggest using the GP manager which is also available from the dowload area. There are also tools in this area to format your SMC if you are going to use a card reader.

I hope some of this helps.

I was so [-] close to just delete your post and ban you for your behavior, but i decided to be nice and help you instant as you are probably just pissed right now.
First, pleas describe the picture that comes up when you turn on the gp32, probably take a picture.
Try holding select while turning the gp32 on and check if that changes anything.
Connect the card reader to a xp or 2k machine, it should automatically detect it and you should be able to view the content of the sd cards using the explorer, tell us whats on there.

Use this program to format the SMC in XP with a card-reader:
http://l33t.spod.org/ratx/gp32/smcrecover/

I wouldn't be downhearted about the GP32, many emulators are the same or better than the Gp2x's.
You've got perfect Megadrive emulation with DrMD, NES emulation with LittleJohn (still the best you can get), PC-Engine is great (only lacking saves).. AtariSt - perfect. Mame - amazing. C64 - perfect. Speccy - perfect etc etc Amstrad CPC... SNES works well on many games (no real improvement on the Gp2x). You can get a keyboard for it, unlike the GP2x or DS. In fact, the DS is nowhere near up to the standards of the GP32's emulation. It's a great machine, and if you've got the non-backlit version, you can play it outdoors.

Also, pcengine emulation is about to get better because AFAIK vobbo is going to release his emu for gp32, too.

Do you get either of these two pictures when you first switch the GP32 on ?.

Blumenu.jpg

Or

Koreanmenu.jpg

If so, Which one ?.

If not, Please try to describe what does appear on your GP32`s screen when first switched on, Or post a picture if possible.

We can then help you with the next step once we know this.

And you are in for a real treat once you get your GP32 working.

Btw, Welcome to the fold. :)

Trooper

god I love that old korean firmware - might re-flash for old times sake!

sPaCe :ph34r:

ps - the gp32 is still my favourite machine of all time! you bought right kid!

Boy, the good old days were much more complicated :p The gp32 was really great, but you should have got a gp2x...

Thanks so much for the help, people.
The one i haave is the (gasp) second one, with the yello/ gold looking boot screen.

The 2 SMC's i bought (140 dollaz worth), were bought seperately.

I went to the gp32 newbie site, and i thought id post up my probs here, 1st.

Ok, so i wanted to say my words were ... well, heated to say the least...

i guess i might need a new cardreader... too, i dunno, the thing show up in windows as 4 more disk drives.... and it doesn't do hoot when i try to format the smc using the smcrecover. i've treid all the new drive letters.
it (winxp) shouldn't need drivers for a card reader, right?

thanbk you all so much, I truly appreciate it.

btw...

if the csard reader doesn't come up on the win 98 machine what shold i do... and should i maybe try a new reader straigh out of the box?

the smcrecover and the gui are 2 different things, right... or they run 2gether??? i ddon't know.... ... so.. i started up the smcrecover.bat it came up w/ a dos box (command prompt box), it gave me from D: up to drive G:
according to winxp my Reader's drives are:

G:
H:
I:
J:

My DVD and DVDR drives are D: and E:, my hard drives are C: and F:, my virtual cd drive is called K:

should i put the mkdosfs GUI thing files in the same dir as smcrecover... the last time i ran the gui, by itself and the other file it didn't do hoot. Will this be able to do an up to J: format?? was it silly of me to run the gui by itself b4 and not w/ the smcrecover?

thank you in advance.

ps, tried format J, and I with the GUI... and nothing happened.

Edit:

Ok:

Here's what';s up, i just got back from the store, bought a new card reader. the card reader picks up the card, ... i think the old card reader is faulty. No biggy, i got this one in and when you insert the card, it reads it, and lights up, etc....
so, now i need to figure out how to do the filesystem stuff.. + more, right? including firmwares, etc... time to read, eh.

PS: thank you all so very much.

Ok, So you say you have the second picture showing on your GP32.

1) Does your GP32 play a jingle when switch on ?.

2) If you hold the select button and switch on your GP32 (still holding the select button), Does a white on black text menu appear ?.

Trooper

Trooper, if i hold down select when i turn it on, nothing happens, my machine is the 1st version, non lit, old old old korean firmware. Yes There is a jingle: do de de do de de do doblipiteebloop something.

Via the new, awesome cardreader i got today, i was able to put the folder structure from gpnewbie on the smc,
i tried to put a firmware thing on there in "game" and it didn't work.

I got it to play mp3's tho, it plays nice! I guess i got the file system ok.

I need that magical thing,
the one in between now, between it and the magic.

;)

I have confidence now, tons.

Oh and i made my own power cable by ripping up a gba recharge thing's AC deal... this is fun! it was already lost, (the battery thing for the gba), so it was just, survival, ya know.

thanks much, people.

ok.....
i read a ton last nite, until i couldn't see the letters right anymore....
then i got drunker than a hoot owl.

i couldn't find any links so far.

if anyone could point me to the neghborhood of the "link", i'd be ,ummmmmm

appreciative.

is it illegal for me to ask that?

I just typed in "free launcher" at the bottom left hand of the screen and hit the search button. This is one of the things that came up. Try it.
free launcher
and here,
cracked

I think this could help in the future.
other stuff

edit: added an extra link

Last edited by a moderator:
Back