What Size Sd Cards Does Everyone Use?

Solid82

Still Fresh
What size SD cards does everyone use for your Caanoo? I have 8gb right now. I'm wondering if 16mb would be smarter?

Solid82 said:
What size SD cards does everyone use for your Caanoo? I have 8gb right now. I'm wondering if 16mb would be smarter?
I can say that every atari, gameboy, gba, nes, snes, sega genesis, and neogeo rom from the US could theoretically fit on a 16GB card

Last edited by a moderator:
jb0yx said:
Solid82 said:
I can say that every atari, gameboy, gba, nes, snes, sega genesis, and neogeo rom from the US could theoretically fit on a 16GB card

Cool, 16gb may be the way to go then. What about movie files? are they very big?

Solid82 said:
jb0yx said:
Solid82 said:

Cool, 16gb may be the way to go then. What about movie files? are they very big?
shrugs.... a decent resolution full length movie probably is in the 500-700mb ish range

Solid82 said:
jb0yx said:
Solid82 said:

Movie files (or episodes of TV shows) will blitz your space a lot quicker. An average movie might take up about 700mb at a decent quality level, perhaps 500mb if you knocked the resolution down. If you're planning to carry around a lot of video you'll definitely want a bigger card.

I'm using a 4gb card at the moment, mainly because I already have a dedicated media player. So far the only thing to take up any significant amount of space is my ScummVM games (Curse of Monkey Island being about 1gb if I remember correctly).

For my Caanoo I use an 8gb card and for my Wiz I have 2 8gb cards, one for emulators and the other just for homebrew and ports. Unless your going to have every rom for every emulator on there like jb0yx said you won't need anything larger than 16 gb.

I somehow manage to hold all the roms I need for four or five 8-bit systems and two 16-bit systems and a 32-bit system on a 2GB card, plus a bunch of homebrew for my Wii. If you only have things you will use and roms you actually play on the SD card, you shouldn't take up that much space. I don't think anyone will ever need to play every single SNES game, for example, let alone portable. If you're not going to play a game in-depth (unless its a puzzle, arcade-style game or racing game... or a sports game) I guess you don't really need to have it on your SD card.

I used to store homebrew, DS games and GBA games I never really used on my DS's MicroSD, (for the DS games I didn't use enhanced features or cheating for I guess I could have just carried around the cartridges) and I saved quite a lot of space by getting rid of what I didn't play. I also reduced the bitrate of my music (some songs had a huge bitrate because I ripped them straight from my CDs without reducing the bitrate, and most of them weren't in MP3 format) to 128kbps or something like that. I saved a lot of space and I was surprised. It took a while to re-code the music though.

I guess you could also trim your GBA roms if you have any on there. You can save a few megabytes per game.

I bought a Transcend 32G class 10, but the seller sent me a SanDisk 32G class 4, OMG. :p

4GB is doing me fine at the moment (now half full and I have almost everything I want), although 8GB might be good to keep on the safe side. More than that is unnecessary at the moment IMO; the video player is a pile of ass. As others have said, it's actually pretty damn hard to go over 8GB if you're mainly using emulators. I guess if you don't have an MP3 player already, you could use the Caanoo for that, in which case you'd probably want a 16GB. I haven't used the music player at all though so I don't know if it's actually any good (I suspect it doesn't organise your music as well as a dedicated MP3 player would).

I use a 16GB SDHC, and it's too small :( a few additional GBs would be enough, but now it's tight (and I have no music/movie on it)

I also use a 16 gig sd card but have attached an 8 gig flash drive which i keep exclusively for movies/music and any extra games/roms i dont feel important enough to go on the sd card.

paul3100

SanDisk UltraII 8GB
it's full now. 4 music-albums, 10 episodes of southpark and almost every game/emulator(+roms) available :)

I use a Transcend 8Gb Class 6 card. I don't really see myself needing more than that unless there are ports of some very large PC games. I don't really need to carry around thousands of ROMs every day.

I've got 4 8gb cards, a 4gb, and a 2gb semi-shared shared between the Caanoo, Dingoo, W7 slate and cameras. The cards are a mix of SD, mini & micro and get swapped around with adapters. As most have reported, a single 8gb is pretty much ample for a nice but non-comprehensive emu selection.

32Gig card in the left side slot, 64Gig card in the right side. Bloody wonderful to have all my music with me. ;)

EDIT: oops, thats for Pandora. For Caanoo, just a 16gig card for now, and its mostly empty .. come on, where are all the great Caanoo titles?!

torpor said:
32Gig card in the left side slot, 64Gig card in the right side. Bloody wonderful to have all my music with me. ;)

EDIT: oops, thats for Pandora. For Caanoo, just a 16gig card for now, and its mostly empty .. come on, where are all the great Caanoo titles?!

GPH don't seem to be releasing a lot of commercial games on their site (that aren't arcade ports like Truxton or whatever) which is a shame...

Back