GP32 What Should I Add To The Gp32x File Archive?

As a lot of you start coding Fenix and release first programs, there would be a lot to add to the GP

• Add all stuff and make a news post

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only add the new stuff, without a news post

• Only add PLAYABLE stuff (no demos, etc.), with news post

• Only add the stuff and news post it when the coder ASKS me to.

• Total voters

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
So, what do you think?

BTW: I'm creating a Fenix Sourcecode zone in the next days at the GP32x File Archive.
Everyone of you can have an account to upload his sourcecode there himself :)
Just PM me if you're interested (I need account name and eMail-Adress from you)

This way, we can easily share our codes and thus help others learning :)

Anyone interested? :)

I think it does depend on what's being released, but I tend to think the best way might be a happy medium between the first and second suggestions. I.e. Add everything (including demos), and do make a news post. But unless the game is polished, make a batch news post, at least while there are a lot of new things turning up that are for the most part experimental.

I voted add all stuff + news posts... sorry.

maybe add some of the better old stuff too?

I voted for the first, i.e. upload in batches with a news post to summarise. However there needs to be some content control. Demos are good but they need to be fleshed out. Demos that only have the most basic of work done are not worth uploading and will simply clutter your database, and about 90% of them will go no further. Don't let the gp32 Fenix scene go the same way as the QBasic RPG scene (lots of walk around tile engines, no content) :)

I voted for the first, i.e. upload in batches with a news post to summarise. However there needs to be some content control. Demos are good but they need to be fleshed out. Demos that only have the most basic of work done are not worth uploading and will simply clutter your database, and about 90% of them will go no further. Don't let the gp32 Fenix scene go the same way as the QBasic RPG scene (lots of walk around tile engines, no content) :)
It's okay to upload demos as long as you clearly mark them inot a demo section (so that people do not download them and then think homebrew is crap as there is no game).

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be best if you make an extra Fenix subdirectory under demos or games (didn`t checked for it, so if its still there, never mind)

As you said, there will be many Fenix stuff released in the near future, so it will be the best to keep your archive sorted!

I reckon if there's gonna be a big influx, just batch it... do it once or twice a week.

i coudln't answer this, as soon as my computer at home is working again, i'm going to reas your tutorial and see if i can't make something worth while.

Hypothetically speaking, if i create something, i would probably post about it, but I don't have a website to put my files for upload so I would need some help with that. I don't care if it gets posted by you or not since i would probably be excited about it and post myself.

Ok, it's decided then:

I'm going to add all files and make batch news posts :)

I don't know if anyone read the text I wrote with this poll:

I've setup a Fenix section with tools (not up-to-date yet, gonna fix that ;)) and a sourcecode section.

Everyone can have an account setup so he / she can upload his sourcecodes all by himself into the Archive :)

Just PM me :)

Would it be an idea to give people with an account who have a game(or demo) uploaded to the fenix section(by you) acces to that, so they can update it(possibly with a file size limit)? In the beginning I think a lot of games will have numerous versions in a very small timespan, as people add this, add that, get excited every time and post every file here! It might be easier if they can keep their stuff up to date instead of you browsing through millions of posts trying to figure out what was the newest version. Of course, I have no idea of how the archive is set up and if it is possible at all. Just an idea.

Now to send that PM :)

Would it be an idea to give people with an account who have a game(or demo) uploaded to the fenix section(by you) acces to that, so they can update it(possibly with a file size limit)? In the beginning I think a lot of games will have numerous versions in a very small timespan, as people add this, add that, get excited every time and post every file here! It might be easier if they can keep their stuff up to date instead of you browsing through millions of posts trying to figure out what was the newest version. Of course, I have no idea of how the archive is set up and if it is possible at all. Just an idea.

Now to send that PM :)

Sure, it's possible. The Fenix Sourcecode section is already available, and everyone who applies for an account can upload there :)
I can create as many categories I want.

Though I don't want to create an own zone for playable Fenix games or demos - as it doesn't matter if, e.g. a shooter or Jump'n'Run is written in Fenix or not, so I'd rather have it included in the game category section.
Maybe another icon just for engine, sprite, etc. Demos for Fenix, though I thought it would make more sense if you just upload your sourcecode...
What would an incomplete WIP version make sense for if you can't look at the sourcecode and can't even play it?

As soon as it becomes playable (even a bit), it can be sorted into the correct category, as long as it is just an Engine Demo, the sourcecode (together with the FPGs, etc.) would be better, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back