What´s This???

Lontra99 posted on May 20 2004 at 02:03 PM said:
A regular smc format won´t do the trick?
I remember getting an error message "ane error as ocurred during transfer"
Nope. The regular format didn't work for me. I'm not saying that you have the same problem that I had, but it sounds like it could be similar.

Try this, first. Format [EDIT: I mean regular, non-lowlevel format] the card and then put a bunch of ZIP files on your card. Make some of them large (like 30+megs), and some of them small (like around 1 meg). Put some small ones on first, and then put a large one or two on there. Then, keep putting files on until the card is full. Then, when you're sure all the files are on the SMC, try to copy them from the SMC to your PC (in some new temporary folder). If you can read all the files off of there just fine and all the ZIP files will open (I suggest ZIP files, because if they get corrupted, then you won't be able to unzip 'em) then you probablly don't have the same problem I had.

If you do have the same problem I had, then this is how I fixed it.

I used a SanDisk ImageMate SDDR-09 card reader. When you install the drivers for it (their WWW site has Win2000 drivers that work under WinXP), it will install a utility called SMPREP. I have heard that other card readers also come with a SMPREP utility, but I can't be sure because I've never tried. I have access to about 5 SmartMedia card readers and this SDDR-09 is the only one that seems to have SMPREP.

Anyway, if you run that SMPREP, then it will do a low-level format. Does anyone else know another way to do a low level format on the SMC?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, if there was another way cheaper and simplier, that would be good :p
Anyway, thanks a lot for your help Flavour, i went round and around trying to figure this out. Gonna try all the possibilities that the other guys suggested, if nothing works, guess im gonna have to spend some money or, buy another smc card just for gpcinema (I guess the problem lies in the smc card right?)

Hope the cure can be done :D

If there´s another way, let me know

Did you try putting the files on there and copying them off like I said? At least it would be a good test to see if it's a SMC problem or not.

Iirc Squidge came up with a util for low-level formatting on the GP after he'd broken a couple of SMCs with early less stable versions of GPDrive. Not sure where you'd find it though.

If GPDrive doesn't kill large files, I might start to use it; main reason I've been sticking to the card reader tbh. I'd been under the impression that it did, but I've often been wrong lol.

No, the encoding isn´t the problem, just because the matrix trailer doesn´t work and that is a sample from entware joygp.

I try doing the zip files thing, everything is ok, i could open all the files. I just can´t figure it out. I can´t see any movies, just small samples, otherwise it will reset.
I uploaded gpcinema again and drummaster version also, still the problem persists and still cant use fast forward.

I wonder what it is. Another thing, why, if i use FF, the sound doens´t match the movie? And if i open another video file, the sound of the previous file starts to work and kills the sound of the file im watching!
Other times, the gp just goes nuts and starts making a huge cranky noise.

What the f****!!!!! :angry:

Back