What´s Going On With Gp32linux

ElRokus

Still Fresh
hi everyone.
a few weeks ago i bought my GP32. i know it´s quite late as the gp2x is out for quite a while, but i don´t need a machine to play but only something to get lgpt running..
since i´m very far away from home for a couple of month without my beloved computer(s) and since i have something to work on which requires (or recommends) a keyboard and a text editor, i thought "couldn´t my new little gadget do this job?"
gp32linux seems quite dead to me. gp32linux.com is offline, newer posts in this forum are seldom and sourceforge seems outdated. therefore after reading all those stupid questions in the past topics i still have to ask some another time to know if i should buy myself a powered usb-hub and a keyboard or not.

- where do i get gp32linux? gp32x.de only offers a 23mb-sized opie-something that seems to be something different. i need a console, nothing more.
- does the setup GP32->powered Hub->usb keyboard work? out of the box without cross-compiling additional modules or something?
- what´s with this wrong-mapping-issue regarding usb-keyboards?
- is there vi/emacs/mcedit/pico/whatsoever available on gp32linux?
- is there something that works on my blu+?

finally - can i simply run the gp32linux.sourceforge.net-version of gp32linux on my gadget, plug the usb-stuff in untar and run the debian-arm-vim-deb to get happy??

sorry for questions i could answer myself. as i said, i´m not at home and downloading, installing, compiling - these tasks are kinda time-consuming in a bad-equipped internet-cafe at the end of the world..

Sorry, I know this will disappoint you, but GP32 doesn't take standard USB keyboards, in fact there isn't an ext-->USB for GP32, the only way to add a keyboard to GP32 is modding an Ericsoon mini keyboard (discontinued now, so you will suffer a lot until you find someone stocking them), I hope you weren't putting great hopes on this one.

Edit: I was wrong, continue reading topics and put hope on this :D

Yes you would need an ericsson chatboard, and you have to solder an ext cable to it.

I have one but I never finished soldering it, so if you want it...

i knew that the chatboard is the only way to have a keyboard for usual gp32-programs. nevertheless i thought (and i still think) that with gp32linux, a female-female-usb-cable and a powered usb-hub i can work with every usb-device that is supported by the kernel of gp32linux. including keyboards. so far the theory - my question seems to be still unanswered.
dont get me wrong, i understand that the chatboard is the only solution to get regular gp32-apps receiving letters, but i thought that the usb-support of gp32linux makes me able to work with real usb-hardware (of course only within gp32linux).

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=13990 <-- this looks like in general my idea is possible. but the realization could be a little to tricky with my bad-equipped environment..

Last edited by a moderator:
ElRokus posted on Sep 14 2006 at 07:09 PM said:
i knew that the chatboard is the only way to have a keyboard for usual gp32-programs. nevertheless i thought (and i still think) that with gp32linux, a female-female-usb-cable and a powered usb-hub i can work with every usb-device that is supported by the kernel of gp32linux. including keyboards. so far the theory - my question seems to be still unanswered.
dont get me wrong, i understand that the chatboard is the only solution to get regular gp32-apps receiving letters, but i thought that the usb-support of gp32linux makes me able to work with real usb-hardware (of course only within gp32linux).

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=13990 <-- this looks like in general my idea is possible. but the realization could be a little to tricky with my bad-equipped environment..
you are right! usb is indeed working, ingeras also connected an usb wifi stick to the gp32 which worked...

The gp32 linux package with wifi stuff is in the archive, I re uploaded it some time ago. (im not really sure what it exactly contains)

but it aint blu+-compatible. or is it?
theyre mentioning problems with keyboard-mapping too. do you know something about this?

ElRokus posted on Sep 14 2006 at 07:34 PM said:
but it aint blu+-compatible. or is it?
theyre mentioning problems with keyboard-mapping too. do you know something about this?
ehm no it is not blu+ compatible, but it is possible to tweak the binary afterwards to make it blu+ compatible, there were some threads on that subject a year ago.

I don't know, as I have never finished my ericsson chatboard I couldn't type anything at all, just use predefined config files :p.
Later releases had a virtualkeyboard though.

never thought that i would say something like that but.. erm... i cant find it. can you give me a hint where to search for this binary-modifiying-for-blu-plus-compatibility-thing?

if i get this working ill look arund if someone here has the equipment to test the gp32+linux+usbhub+keyboard-setup.

thanks so far.

ElRokus posted on Sep 14 2006 at 11:44 PM said:
never thought that i would say something like that but.. erm... i cant find it. can you give me a hint where to search for this binary-modifiying-for-blu-plus-compatibility-thing?

if i get this working ill look arund if someone here has the equipment to test the gp32+linux+usbhub+keyboard-setup.

thanks so far.
I'll try to see if I can find these posts.

found one after 3 mins of searching :p:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...mp;#entry256426

Back