What Mhz Does The Gp2x Use For The Menu?

Wonder why they moved it up to 100? Speaking of using low power consumption, do you think there could be a script where the screen would automatically turn itself off after 10 seconds without use? Normally I have to run the music player and press 'select' to turn it off, pity I can't do the same with the main menu where the 'select' button doesn't do a thing.

jansport posted on May 7 2006 at 06:29 PM said:
Wonder why they moved it up to 100? Speaking of using low power consumption, do you think there could be a script where the screen would automatically turn itself off after 10 seconds without use? Normally I have to run the music player and press 'select' to turn it off, pity I can't do the same with the main menu where the 'select' button doesn't do a thing.

I really like the idea of that.

I thought 1.4 had 100mhz for the menu also? If it used to be 66mhz, why would they upgrade it. My menu in 1.4 worked fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish you could turn the screen off with Select (like in the Music player application) when connected via USB for file transfer. There's no reason for it to be on.

I think it went something like this:

GPH changed the menu speed from 200mhz to 66mhz
People complained that they noticed the menu was a lot slower
GPH increased the speed to 100mhz
People are happy, or at least, stopped complaining :)

Squidge posted on May 8 2006 at 12:33 AM said:
66Mhz for 1.4+
100Mhz for 2.0+

Are applications launched at full speed, or do we need to change the clocking from within the apps ???

(still looking for cheap ways to speed up my code ;))

jansport posted on May 8 2006 at 01:29 AM said:
I would like GPH to change hold sequence in music player from "Select" to something more complex like "Select+RTrigger+Click" then I wouldn't turn of my music player so often, when I'm using my carrying NDS case ><

i prefered it when it was full speed.

i mean, how much of an impact is the 15 seconds i spend in the menu at 200mhz when compared to 30 minutes of Metal Slug.

is it gonna give us an extra 2 - 3 minutes of battery life?

let me choose my menu mhz please.

rixed posted on May 8 2006 at 11:09 AM said:
Squidge posted on May 8 2006 at 12:33 AM said:
66Mhz for 1.4+
100Mhz for 2.0+

Are applications launched at full speed, or do we need to change the clocking from within the apps ???

(still looking for cheap ways to speed up my code ;))

Applications are of course run at 200Mhz, but you can go faster than this if you wish.

Epicenter posted on May 8 2006 at 01:53 AM said:
I wish you could turn the screen off with Select (like in the Music player application) when connected via USB for file transfer. There's no reason for it to be on.
same debate as with the gp32 lol.

the conclusion in the end was that it didn't really matter.

Why would you want the menu to run at full speed is the real question deepmenace?

I should try my improved apple skin again being that it used to run a little slow in 1.4.

I will put a vote in for L+R+B (or start)

aapje89 posted on May 8 2006 at 08:17 AM said:
Epicenter posted on May 8 2006 at 01:53 AM said:
same debate as with the gp32 lol.

the conclusion in the end was that it didn't really matter.

It does matter ... I don't own an AC adapter, and I'm sure lots of people don't. I do a lot of development for the GP2X and don't like to burn through my batteries too quickly while it's hooked up to your machine. The screen and backlight may very well use more power than one of the CPUs does. Such is the case with most LCD Backlights ...

Back