What is your educational background?

Blue Protoman

Where did you study, what degree did you get, what minor, etc. As well as any skills you picked up outside of your curriculum that help out big-time today. (For instance, one member here is learning to program on his own, but is majoring in mechanical engineering where that's not as vital a skill.)

Well, I got a high-school diploma (called Abitur) in Germany, took an apprenticeship as Mediadesigner (for television), became technical director of the local TV station after that.

Also became a trainer and am vice-chairman of the board of examiners for that job.

Opened up my own company (gepixelt) together with a colleague that does multimedia installations as well as TV productions.

I actually taught myself a lot of things, like network and server administration (with Linux), small coding and scripting stuff (if needed), running an online-shop legally and properly in Germany (which isn't that easy), etc.

Basically, if there's something I need to be able to do to do the work I want to do, I'll teach it myself.

Worked out pretty well so far :)

Well I can't claim to have had an illustrious career.I failed the final exams in school and subsequently had a variety of jobs. About 3 years ago I went to college and trained as a chef.

I'm currently teaching myself to write with an eye to producing short stories and other writings. Since joining the Pandora forums, first gp32x.de and later here i've learned more about computers than i ever did previously.I wasn't particularily interested in the runnings of a computer and thus I never bothered to learn much.Though in retrospect it's not that hard to operate I did learn alot in trying to get software and such running on my Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone should be very cautious about what skills they take the initiative to learn on their own. All the right expertise in the world won't mean a flying shit if potential employers don't consider "personal interest" to be a valid form of credentials...

Everyone should be very cautious about what skills they take the initiative to learn on their own. All the right expertise in the world won't mean a flying shit if potential employers don't consider "personal interest" to be a valid form of credentials...

Unless you've got a portfolio. Picture this; a Computer Science grad student applies for a job with loads of knowledge, but doesn't really have a good portfolio. Sure, he has some OpenGL program and a bit of Project Euler-level things from a few classes, but most of it came from lecture notes and assignments.

Then you've got a high-school dropout who has the most AMAZING work to show. XNA, Java, OpenGL, SQL, Android, and not just knowledge but PROOF of knowledge. Games, programs, and the like made either in his spare time or from contracting work. Which do you think is more likely to get hired at, say, a large mobile app development company?

Well, I'm still secondary school. Sitting in, my philosophy class right now, as my teacher is pretty much asleep at the front of class...

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Tapatalk

I study psychology in Germany.

It's my first year and I have exams since two weeks.

I'm am extremely interested on learning about computer programming and stuff like developing apps but i don't feel that interested on studying a carrier for that. i want to study something else. but i still want to learn to develop apps and stuff on my own. are there any advises you guys can provide me??

Well after my Abitur (high-school diploma) i tried to get into various colleges for different things (Pedagogy, Singing, Philosophy) but have not had any luck,

so additionally I tried to get into different vocational education for some years and had no luck either.

In all that time I made Praktika (Internships) for the area which fittet me the most (building of musical instruments),

but had no luck getting a proper official education there either. Anyway, I found a very good builder of clavichords and harpsicords who teached me for free in my spare time for about a year.

After this and all the Internships I was able to do more than some of the guys, that had an official education.

Later on I was able to get regular work in a local workshop for drums of all sorts and am the leading builder there by now for 20 hours the week.

I am using the rest of the time to create my own much more complicated stuff (hurdy gurdys) and sell it, as soon as it is good enough.

No luck with officials, but selfmade man - you could say. I heard that this is more like the american way. ^^

Back