What have you bought recently?

Same here. I'd like to upgrade my GPU, but prices are crazy. Got an rx 570 for 80 bucks and It's tolerable for the time being.

No Pictures because its Digital over the Nintendo E-Shop:
- Preeorder of Legend of Zelda, Skyward Swords HD (Nintendo Switch)
- Super Mario 3D World & Bowser Fury (Nintendo Switch)..
In the US, they won't charge us for digital preorders on the eShop until a week before the game releases. I think it's so they don't have to issue refunds.

I was kinda thinking about preordering Miitopia, but now I'm gonna wait until a week before release, so I can be sure the money will be on my card at that time.

Reactions: rSl
Just had a thought. Maybe if I add funds to my Nintendo balance first, I can use that to do the preorder. Not enough left for that this week now, but maybe it's something to look into next week.

Reactions: rSl
After 10 years I finally bought some parts to start building my new computer. My current computer did get upgrades during it's life to keep it a bit up-to-date, as planned. But I now run into it's limitations which hamper my work.
I've been putting it off to wait for the new AMD Ryzen CPU's, but those have been on the market for a couple of years now. Afterwards been waiting for prices to drop a bit, I guess now might be the worst time to try to get computer parts :p
Everything appears to be unavailable or expensive, especially high end CPU's and GPU's. Even older GPU's that I already once bought are now more expensive.
How about instead of making your machine faster, you make the OS more lean?
If you have Windows, there are always some services you can disable at startup. There are tweaks you can run.
If Linux, there are also many services you can disable and don't need running all the time. There are Lean window managers that take less RAM and CPU, while giving you the same comfortable and productive environment.
IceWM is my favourite (configurable/overloadable graphics windows, but at the same time shortcut friendly), but there are so many others that might be much better for your specific needs: https://www.ubuntupit.com/best-20-linux-window-managers-a-comprehensive-list-for-linux-users/
Now if you go for it, go for it all the way. It takes a full 24 hours to get a Gentoo up and running (it compiles everything optimized for your chip; so the binaries do not have the "if this chip has MMX extensions then do this else do that", so software runs faster... but you need the patience to set it up, lots of patience. But as the binaries are smaller, your programs start up faster, say, 1 second faster. But across multiple programs and day after day, it will leave you happy that your software is snappy)

How about instead of making your machine faster, you make the OS more lean?
If you have Windows, there are always some services you can disable at startup. There are tweaks you can run.
If Linux, there are also many services you can disable and don't need running all the time. There are Lean window managers that take less RAM and CPU, while giving you the same comfortable and productive environment.
IceWM is my favourite (configurable/overloadable graphics windows, but at the same time shortcut friendly), but there are so many others that might be much better for your specific needs: https://www.ubuntupit.com/best-20-linux-window-managers-a-comprehensive-list-for-linux-users/
Now if you go for it, go for it all the way. It takes a full 24 hours to get a Gentoo up and running (it compiles everything optimized for your chip; so the binaries do not have the "if this chip has MMX extensions then do this else do that", so software runs faster... but you need the patience to set it up, lots of patience. But as the binaries are smaller, your programs start up faster, say, 1 second faster. But across multiple programs and day after day, it will leave you happy that your software is snappy)
Making it more lean only goes so far. I'm currently using an AMD-FX 9590 (one of my upgrades), it's just becomes to hot when I'm doing long sessions of 100% CPU usage. Which I can control when doing a lot of tweaking, including some undervolting and using good cooling. But sometimes it's not enough and my computer shuts down which can cause other issues while trying to do work. But I also want to run it fast.
Then I run out of RAM now sometimes when working on large 3D models, I have 16GB. Now I ran into disk space issues, I replace all my disks with SSD to speed up loading but the disks just are running full all the time. So I have to copy a lot of stuff to my NAS.
So I could continue with my current computer for a while, but I'll probably have to do much more work this year and I just don't want to run into these issues if I can.
I already bought a much larger SSD to fix the disk issue, but while doing that I found my list of all the parts I wanted to put in my new pc which also featured this exact disk.
So I purchased most of the other parts also, so I'll have a new computer this week.
I didn't buy a GPU, as my current GPU is good enough and it's probably the fastest part of my current pc (I also have a good replacement already, so I can switch them without to much issues).
I'm already running Linux btw. but for work I also have to use Windows applications, so that's not ideal. I'll probably switch my current pc to full Linux, and the new one to dual boot.

Okay, I added $20 to my Nintendo eShop balance today. I'll add $40 more sometime Wednesday night, then try to preorder Miitopia for Switch. I think it should work, as I remember preordering Animal Crossing: New Horizons more than a week in advance somehow.

Miitopia was a fun game on 3DS that I didn't finish for some reason. Hopefully with the extra Mii customization options, it'll be even better on Switch. What I really want to do though is show Nintendo that there's demand for Mii-based games, so I can get a Tomodachi Life sequel.

Shoot, I learned from someone on a Nintendo fansite Discord server that even using eShop credit won't work for preorders until a week before release. Apparently it's a recent policy change by Nintendo.

Just gonna use my eShop balance to get Burnout Paradise Remastered now, I think.

Shoot, I learned from someone on a Nintendo fansite Discord server that even using eShop credit won't work for preorders until a week before release. Apparently it's a recent policy change by Nintendo.

Just gonna use my eShop balance to get Burnout Paradise Remastered now, I think.
I just got the physical version of Burnout Paradise Remastered. Haven't played it yet, as I also got Bomberman and the Lego Movie 2 game.
Back in the day I would play a lot of Burnout on the PSP and original Xbox, all the 'more open world' version didn't capture my love for ramming cars into the guard rail that much.
That links back to the early days when racing in POD (1997), which actually didn't do car crashes, but the style of racing was somewhat similar. Burnout added the crash part.

Burnout 2 as I recall was all scored much more along the lines of a straight racer. It was burnout 3 that added crash modes, and Paradise kind of merged the two into an open world game.

Why not just wait until you can pre-order?

Just assembled my new computer. I also got a USB drawing tablet with it.
I've put an old graphics-card in, as I still think new ones are way to expensive compare to the one I already have.
Apparently TSMC is currently having issues due to water shortages, which also won't help reducing chip prices I assume.

Also got the Need For Speed Hot Pursuit Remastered for the Switch.

I bought some Bicycle Series 1900 cards. Anyone wanna play poker with me?
You know, I hate playing cards, but love poker. Randomness is cheap filler in game design. The great thing about poker though is that you can win with a shitty hand as long as you're good at poker. In other games, bad randomness usually destroys you.

You know, I hate playing cards, but love poker. Randomness is cheap filler in game design. The great thing about poker though is that you can win with a shitty hand as long as you're good at poker. In other games, bad randomness usually destroys you.
You should take a look at
That's a proper card game :)

this arrived a day early despite brexit.
it's a synthesizer using two c64 sid chips
ie, two different flavors of commodore 64 sound chips with parameters controllable via knobs or midi.
1614627548318.jpeg

Attachments

• 1614627548479.jpeg
    1614627548479.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 97
Well, these are marked cards, so...

Back