What have you bought recently?

The hot air rework stations are _awesome_. Not just for heat-shrink tubing but for solder rework and surface mount, its wicked.

I've been mad busy with the kids, but my little guys are going to school come September.. (sniff! ... but also, hoooooray! ... can you imagine, the twins were born almost 4 years ago already, and seems like yesterday I was posting the 'about to have twins, my days are numbered' :p )

Recently I did do some cool hardware projects; most recent is tricopter build; doesn't take much time (which is how I need it, sigh), but pretty nifty:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qj906oozkdd6cb/ghost-in-the-grass-3.jpg?dl=0

Thats a 3d printed frame and supports, some wooden dowel 'boom arms', and the motors are from hobby king:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__36767__Turnigy_Multistar_3525_850Kv_14Pole_Multi_Rotor_Outrunner.html

Those motors are hawt looking imho :eek:

jeff

@skeezix:  Are you involved in Pyra development this time around? Seems like you are not as you have been doing many cool stuff for yourself only lately :) .  Do you have a cool project for Pyra when it comes out?  Like adding a second screen for DraStic emulation?   ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't want to wax on off topic.. so the short answer is "I wish, and it breaks my heart, but time limitations keep me from it". I'll ramble on in spoiler tag, if you're curious about the mumblings of an old man ;)

Since having the twins (3 small kids total) I just don't have the time to _commit_, so I haven't been able to do anything _direct_ for Pyra (though I still maintain compo4all and have been trying to work on the sidelines and be supportive in a few ways like that .. been in this community too long to be pulled fully away!); it breaks my heart in a lot of ways and I'm sure ED and team would love any help, but it is what it is. I basicly get zero free time until about 11:30pm each night, and then screw around for an hour or so; can't get much done any given night so I've been chosing projects that I can do in that sort of environment .. when tired and sloppy :) , yet still achievable in a decent timeframe.   .. still, the kids are growing up, so my first is 8 now, and the little guys are 4, so getting lessy needy all the time. Goddamn, I just need to find a way to go to movies again, though :) My twins were born right before Skyrim came out. That was really annoying ;)

I keep hoping to get back and rewrite c4a and add a pile new features, and surely will do some projects for pyra.

I'm the sort of person who is compelled to hack around on things all the time; type-A and all that. So after all these years of kids around, it sort of freaks me out. Shouldn't, but can't help it. So, be the best dad I can be, but then skip sleep and hack around, right? :)

The zikzak project took a looong time (it should've only bee a couple months, but took many many months, due to my time limitations), but I had hoped it would be interesting to a few other people (and seems that was true.)

Pyra is going to be much more a 'real machine', with some serious processing power, so should be much more generally useful and much more capable. Shoudl be quite interesting to see what everyone pulls off (ptitseb and everyone!) .. I'll be there, but I'm still diminished, for awhile longer.

jeff

I bought a cheap heat gun recently that I'm hoping might be useful for hot air work - temperatures seem okay for lead free, just a question of if the rate of flow is too high I guess.

Ghost Files

cvr9781451633108_9781451633108_hr.jpg

http://is.gd/h9GBdj

Review:

Coming soon (the book hasn't turned up yet).
I think I know someone else who wants this.  I am not too into that show and everything, but the person I am thinking of was talking to them one day back in the early days and told them why I am not into it(most of that sort of stuff is BS, and even the stuff they present is questionable and can be explained by other things) and they said they would be interested in having me on their team.  The only problems were I was working out of the country at the time, and was based in a different part of the country than they are, and I like my privacy and not being on TV.  Oh, and I wasn't interested.  It might have helped me get some interesting jobs, though, because I like weird stuff.  I will probably be picking this up as a gift, so thanks for sharing it.

for solder rework and surface mount, its wicked.
This is why I "need" one.

The thirdt long charge cable for my Galaxy Note 2: the first whone was fine a lot months long, but finaly it got broken between the cable and theMicro USB Connektor, the second one got a lose Micro USB Connector some weeks ago i got it

Then i used the Spare Cable from my Dads Xperia Play (he got this from me)

Now i got me a 2 Meter Cable, hopefully this time i take more care...

I needed such a long cable, because i use my Note 2 often on Bed for watching Lets Play or surv the internetz, and as i have a "French Bed" which have a lot of space, the Cable have to bee werry long...

Some yeahr ago, somethimes when i watched Youtube late at the evening, my eyes fell close and so i just fell in sleep whyle my Phone is connekt to the Headphones and the Charging cable... mybe therefore, i needed this often a new cable..

a pretty great intel windows8.1 tab for 55$ or so... while it's obviously lacking a lot of punch, you cannot beat that price, and it plays nicely P1999 which is simply great...

Whe also have a Windows 8.1 Tablet: a Trekstore Wintab "Volkstablet" whit a Intel Atom, and a Keyboard which also can used as a case..

Nice thing, plays also normal Windows Programms, i put Libre Office on it, its also have a USB Port so you can easely put a Mouse on it or the Printer etc

Only the Intel Atom dosnt plays some of my games like Rigs of Rods, but you cant get everthing..

I wonder why so many peaple dosnt like windows tablets, this thing is lot more usefull as a Ipad..

Its now my Dads PC where he can Watch Pictures, surv the internet, wrote his Paperworks, emails etc..

I wonder why so many peaple dosnt like windows tablets
well, I can see why people dislike ARM windows tablet... but the intel ones using the real windows is simply great for compatibility...

/me walks away without saying anything bad about Windows or tablets while remembering that game options, so Windows, are important to many here (although there are many other better options if games are taken out of the equation), and tablets are good enough for most people's use (web/media consumption and light gaming).

Just picked up another pair of headphones, well in-ears really, the Sennheiser IE80. Been in the market for them for a couple months.

and PS2 RPGs:

Xenosaga 1+2 :D
Oh gosh, its a triologie! I was pretty disapointed by them, much too easy. 

And  btw i bought another two cameras..

Haven't actually made the purchase yet, but I've been comparing digital pianos. Currently I have it narrowed down to the Kawai CA 97 and the Yamaha CLP 585.

Both the top range models in their series and fairly high end digital pianos in general (asking price in the 3000 ~ 4500 bracket, the next bracket is 10.000+ euros, which is way more than I am willing to spend).

If I had more money, more space and fewer neighbours then I would just get a grand piano :p

The Kawai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Stwp59Ryrso

The Yamaha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuA6Ce2lcQY

I need to make another visit to the Piano store and play and listen some more. Well, that's the plan for the upcoming holiday period :)

Just bought some Magic cards on impulse. Got only 1 legendary out of cracking 9 packs, filled in a couple of gaps I had, but mostly duplicate cards I didn't need.

Not an economical way to collect Magic cards, I should really just buy singles. But cracking packs is so damn addictive...

I'm also looking forward to doing some travelling / selling overseas in a couple of years, where card shops and Magic in general will be far more common and easier to collect.

Haven't made the purchase yet, but my Sennheiser MX470 earbuds are not in the best repair after a few years of heavy use and need replacing.

Have asked one of the other traders to keep 2 Celtic music CDs for me. I love Celtic... listen to almost nothing else.

Will probably be buying some smoked cheeses from another trader on monday, its way too busy to leave my stand this weekend.

Made enough money for a Pyra preorder in just today's trading... So hopefully after all these festivals are over, I will have enough spare cash scurried away to make the preorder and not compromise my buying power as a trader.

It seems huge amounts of money pass through my hands just feeding and growing this bussiness.

The postage I had to pay just to send my stock to New customers in America a month ago came to almost 1 Pyra.

Seems I need about R20 000 - R30 000 liquid capital to ensure I don't keep people waiting on payments, and have enough inventory to take advantage of trade opportunities as they arise.

Just bought some Magic cards on impulse. Got only 1 legendary out of cracking 9 packs, filled in a couple of gaps I had, but mostly duplicate cards I didn't need.
It's hit or miss, one time I opened 6 packs and didn't get anything of significant value maybe a total of $6 USD. Another time I opened up another 6 packs and got a legendary card worth $150 USD and another worth $60 USD. However I'm playing both of the cards instead of cashing in...

Yeah, I doubt I'll ever sell any cards unless I already have a full playset... Then again, I may just keep collecting untill I have twice as many as is allowed of each card in a deck.

... So I can create duplicate or very similar decks and face them off against each other.

I still haven't played a single game against another person. The closest FNM is about 300km away. :(

Perhaps I'll only get to use my collection if/when I move overseas.

Yeah, I doubt I'll ever sell any cards unless I already have a full playset... Then again, I may just keep collecting untill I have twice as many as is allowed of each card in a deck.

... So I can create duplicate or very similar decks and face them off against each other.

I still haven't played a single game against another person. The closest FNM is about 300km away. :(

Perhaps I'll only get to use my collection if/when I move overseas.
Do people play by webcam or anything like that?

^

Never heard of it, but I'm sure someone somewhere is doing it.

Not sure that would be a feasible long term solution for me though as my internet isn't uncapped. But I would certainly do it a few times with someone willing just for the joy of finally using my cards.

Back