What have you bought recently?

@FBnil and @Klumpen: I was messing around with a metal tube that was being used as a space for a spinny thing from my kitchen that broke, trying to figure out what to do with the pieces. I pulled the screws out of both ends and blew a few different ways while considering making it into a tiny flute or whistle. I learned from this that you really do need to learn the proper technique for the individual type of instrument. I haven't done anything with the three tubes since I don't know what I am going, but I do want to make something with them and learn to play it.

I got some naan from a big chain store. We get it fairly frequently. It would be awesome if I could get the handmade stuff I used to eat.

@rygD: There's a form of Kaval that is basically just a straight hollow branch with 0-1 holes and it's quite popular in some folk music circles since you can get more notes out of it than is apparent and the sound is quite nice.
My boss has often made wind instruments out of cheap PVC tube for poor musicians which travel a lot and those aren't bad.

You can make instruments out of everything, like a carrot
broccoli
bicycles
or whatever.

Last edited:
There are lots of things out there that can be repurposed for use in music. That is part of the fun for me.

Just before Xmas I took advantage of a sale and got some toys for the dogs and cats, with a soft and durable Kong frisbee kinda thing, a stuffed shit emoji, and some meat flavored Nylabones, each picked out for a specific dog. The cats shared a stocking full of assorted toys, with a feathered family thing and a sick being the most popular with all of them, and some milk. Edit: And cat nip. They had to wait until the other day to get them since somebody was on vacation elsewhere.

I finally succumbed and treated myself to a Seiko Astron watch :D
Been lusting after one for a while (my neighbour has one), and since I almost certainly won't have a job in 9 months time I though I'd jump in and do it now. There's some crazy logic in there somewhere.....

Anyways - here it is:-
http://www.seiko.co.uk/collections/men/astron/sse017j1

It hasn't arrived yet :eek: (not in stock when I ordered).

I'm kind of into watches - but not Swiss ones, mainly Seikos!
My ideal watch would be a Spring Drive diver (like the SBDB001), but I don't think that's ever gonna happen, what with them being JDM and ludicrously expensive :'(

I am kinda into antique mechanical pocket watches and such. There is a military chronometer and a railroad watch that I have on my list to get eventually. Otherwise I mostly like fairly plain early 20th century ones. No gold cases for me.

A gigbag for my hammered-dulcimer which is 3.2kg lighter than my hard case
and some more parts for my constructions.

WD My Passport Ultra 4tb

Moved my Steam library onto it as well as all my media. My 256gb SSD was getting a little cramped.
But now my one and only usb port on my Surface Pro 2 is in use while gaming, so I couldn't use my Razer gaming mouse.... so I just ordered:

Logitech MX Master wireless mouse with Darkfield Laser Tracking

Seemed the best Bluetooth mouse I could find. No doubt better for gaming (or general productivity) than my Arc Mouse Surface Edition.

20170108_213153.jpg

Legal to conceal-carry in Louisiana, and it gets almost daily use. Got this beauty at the gun show when it came to Kenner in December. At the time, I couldn't find it anywhere for $85, so I bit.

Also, just bought 400ft of 550 paracord to make a rifle sling. My current leather sling is pure yarbage.

A couple of slightly knackered digital cameras for cheap, to see if I can manage to fix them.

1. Kodak z1275 (needs a new CCD).
2. Lytro light field camera (needs a new battery fitting).

I may also pick up a Pentax 100D that I've spotted, depending on the final price (error codes 200 & 800).

Back