What handheld for homebrew dev?

chn

Still Fresh
I was pretty active as a programmer on the GP32 for a couple of years around 2005. It was lots of fun, maybe also because there was quite an active scene of homebrew developers around that specific device. Now I'm wondering - what would be the handheld if I were to get my feet wet again these days? What are all the homebrew devrs tinkering with in 2020?
The OpenDingux devices (RG-350, PocketGo, etc.) look interesting to me, but the result of my search for an SDK/dev tools/info was rather fuzzy. I consider the Pandora to be a "legacy" system as the Pyra seems just around the corner. Would the Pyra be the next "go-to" machine as a homebrew developer? Any insights?

I hope the Pyra will reinvigorate the community to make cool stuff, like they did in the early days of the Pandora, but that was a long time ago now, so I'm not sure it'll work like that. But with a following wind, maybe @ptitSeb will grace us with a small percentage of his output, which'd be enough.

Right now, I'd guess you want to go for some SBC, probably a raspberry pi. Not as handheld or as portable, but it does run more or less plain linux, so you can build anything with a non-MS toolchain.

I hope the Pyra will reinvigorate the community to make cool stuff, like they did in the early days of the Pandora, but that was a long time ago now, so I'm not sure it'll work like that.

Yeah, I hope the Pyra can do that, too.

Right now, I'd guess you want to go for some SBC, probably a raspberry pi. Not as handheld or as portable, but it does run more or less plain linux, so you can build anything with a non-MS toolchain.

What I found is the Odroid Go Advance which came out earlier this year. The (hardware) specs look impressive. It is basically a Linux (Ubuntu) computer with a Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A35@1.3GHz in a handheld console case. You can program it easily using whatever language is available under Linux (which means: *any* language). Even Android can be installed on it. Coincidentally, it is designed&made by a Korean company. It comes in pieces and you have to assemble it yourself, but for me that only adds to the challenge :) I just don't know about any community or homebrew scene for that device.

Sounds decent. I'd just be beware of the A35 cores which seem to be even weedier than the A53 cores that some round here don't like. It ought to mean better battery life if ARM did their homework correctly, but it's not a top performer.

I'm hoping to either do some development for the Pyra, and/or the 32blit.

Fun times ahead.... I just hope the wait isn't too much longer.

Back