What game would you like to see?

pmprog

DNF (Did Not Finish)
Edit: I've removed the options because the voting is over - Hot Pursuit won, with Mutiplayer Tower Defence coming a close second.

My Werewolves project is pretty much done from a coding perspective - bar some fixes when Wakey has finished the world and graphics. So I'm looking at my next game project.

My current thoughts were of a top-down space shooter, where you build and configure your own craft - completely - from components. The plan was also to allow you to custom configure weapons (chose if your missiles have homing, cloak etc.).

Between days at Replay, I searched ProjectorGames (who had some games at the expo), and found they had a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IEyKfIDdzc. Which leads you back to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Szr2NwA-cM, again very similar to my idea; Which made me think, is it worth making this game?

So... I thought I'd throw out a few ideas to the community and see what people would like to see. The game might not be a Pandora exclusive, but it'll definately be a supported platform.

A bit more detail of the game choices, things are still subject to change though

Unnamed Space Top-Down Shooter

Primarily Multiplayer, but single player "campaign" option. You can custom build your space craft, and weapons. Each option (from hull fragment, to engine, to weapon to accessory) cost a set amount of "points", you can design as many craft as you want, and when joining multiplayer, the host sets the points limit - craft must be less than or equal that value to join. Basically you're all placed in a relatively large "arena" and it's basically deathmatch (maybe other gametypes supported, like CTF, Domination). Single player campaign would consist of similar combat, against CPU craft, and you earn points for each battle won, that you can use to upgrade your craft.

Hot Pursuit

Visual style of the original GTA (top down, 3D driving game). Action with a puzzle element. The goal is to rob as much money as possible, without being caught by the police.

On each level, you get a number of robbers, you declare which order you'll hit the banks (one robber per bank) and how long to remain in the bank for. You can drop them off anywhere on the map, and they'll walk to the bank, and hold it up. Time in the bank determines amount of money they collect, but the bank's security rating will trigger the police to come at different times (higher security, sooner the police will arrive). You then need to pick up the robbers and make it back to the safe house.

Foozie v2

I wrote a turn-based football (soccer) game (despite not liking football) called Foozie, which was quite slow, and you had to pass hundreds of turn codes between the two players. I was thinking of revamping this to be a better simultaneous-turn-based game, somewhat like FrozenSynapse, where you can "plan" up to several turns, then submit to your opponent and play the results as a full match.

JANE v4

An update to my Last Ninja remake that supports a better single player and multiplayer options.

Turn Fighter

Another simulataneous-turn-based game, but basically Street Fighter 2. You specify a move to do (dash forward, strong fireball etc.) You're move will be played for the number of frames it takes, alongside your opponents moves. When one move expires, they are then free to select the next move. This was original thought of for mobile phones where input is quite limited. I have no idea if it would actually be any fun though. It'd be almost real-time.

Multiplayer Tower Defence

The game works by having a map with several player "bases" (one for each player, all on the same map) and a number of "wave" starts. As you build towers and kill enemies, you get money, just like normal. However, you can also use your money to send an additional wave to your opponents base.

Look forward to hearing any thoughts too...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to see a multi player space shooter for the Pandora, but they all sound pretty awesome to me. Good luck with whatever you choose in the end.

Have you got a link to any posts about your werewolves project? that one seems to have passed me by.

I'd love to see a multi player space shooter for the Pandora, but they all sound pretty awesome to me. Good luck with whatever you choose in the end.
Cheers

Have you got a link to any posts about your werewolves project? that one seems to have passed me by.
Not really. It's a remake of the Werewolves of London game from the C64 and Speccy. But it won't run on the Pandora because Allegro 5 currently (AFAIK) does not exist on the Pandora, and also the resolution is fixed at 800x600. I'll probably post some details in the Off-Topic areas when it's released though

Since there are already a Million Shooter Games for the Pandora (including Emulators or straight Ports like rRootage, Garden of Coulored Lights, Super Geometry Dust etc...) I'm for something different, even if I like top-down-shooters (I'm just better in these than horizontal shooters :D )

Some people want a Racing Game for the Pandora and since we don't have that many good Open Source Racing Games maybe this would be the right direction, even if I'm not that big fan of this genre. :)

Nice to see new projects by the way, there also is something starting in the German Forums, but there, the genre is not decided yet, it is just clear that it uses Pascal and maybe 3D. ^^"

As regards hot pursuit i have always wanted a fun overhead viewed racer.( I think the gta style game is getting a bit old now.) With realistic looking graphics a bit like supercars 2 on amiga. Nice expansive levels with shortcuts. Good collision between the cars in that they can ditch each other.

I would like an opening toll bridge that you have to ramp over.(like you see in american movies) Some car traffic on the roads(As long as its not intrusive to the gameplay) The ability to ramp over trucks/buses at crossroads and to be able to ramp onto a barge on the docks which would take you across the sea briefly as a shortcut (see a film called fear the keys it has some great car chases) Plenty of ramps/chicanes/uncoming traffic and more. Upgradeable cars.As the game progresses you would get bigger engines and tuneups etc that would visibly make your car faster louder/more grip etc. It would be nice to be able to see the upgrades graphically represented on the car ie an engine protruding from the bonnet etc. The cars could look like minitature versions of the real thing more or less. Nice clearly defined cars with very loud engine sounds just to exaggerate the effect cos the cars are too small. A proper 2 player splitscreen mode would be essential ala supercars 2. A highway city level would be good too. Also ive had the idea for a while of a slo mo matrix style powerup that slows down time and allows you to twist your way through incoming traffic ala burnout.The slo mo effect would slow your car down temporarily and allow you to negotiate traffic and maybe do other cool stuff. In my opinion many previously made overhead racers are frustrating and trial and error based and this detracts from the fun. good examples of overhead racers i can remember are ssupercars 2 and jupiters masterdrive on the amiga. well clearly ive had these ideas for some time. i just always thought that there was a lot of room for innovation within the overhead racing genre but i have yet to see this genre progress whilst clearly 3d car games have progressed alot. Maybe this is alot to do in one game though.Well these are my thoughts anyhow. Also the turn based fighter could potentially be quite popular if done well. As opposed to just turn based i have wondered if a game could be played in max payne/matrix slo mo style for say 60 or 70 percent of the time.This might allow an outrageous moveset in theory.What i propose is not total slo mo but just a little.in otherwords the game would run a little slower thus allowing the payer to perform jedi like manoevurs like evades counters back flips etc.These would be timings that would not be possible for the player to perform at normal speed as nobody has the reflexes of a jedi. good luck whatever you decide. if you post in beta threads about your game maybe i and the community can suggest some ideas .Ok end of long post.

I would love to see a nice colorful homebrew version of cleopatra keno or caveman keno :)

Some people want a Racing Game for the Pandora and since we don't have that many good Open Source Racing Games maybe this would be the right direction, even if I'm not that big fan of this genre. :)
Yeah, I loved Death Rally and SuperCars 2. Getting a native version of one of them would be cool. Maybe...

Nice to see new projects by the way, there also is something starting in the German Forums, but there, the genre is not decided yet, it is just clear that it uses Pascal and maybe 3D. ^^"
German forums? Not that I can speak German anyway

As regards hot pursuit i have always wanted a fun overhead viewed racer
That's not what Hot pursuit is. On a basic level it's a puzzle game - planning where to drop the robbers off, how long they're inside the bank for, and collecting them before the police etc. with action element (driving to pick up the robbers, and avoiding the police)

Also the turn based fighter could potentially be quite popular if done well.
I'll be honest, the more I think about this game, the less fun it sounds

I would love to see a nice colorful homebrew version of cleopatra keno or caveman keno :)
The only wiki page seems to show Keno, which just looks like the "lottery", random numbers drawn out, and you lose - I mean, might match some numbers ^_^ I'm afraid I won't be writing anything like that

Cheers for the feedback

German forums? Not that I can speak German anyway
No problem, we can speak english. ^^" And at the Moment, there is only Brainstorming.

I also can imagine a nice Top-Down Racer like Micro Machines but with 3D graphics and not micro, maybe. :)

Maybe, though the multiplayer tower defence seems to be winning at the minute ;)

If Hot Pursuit wins (I suppose I should have a cut-off date to call a winner). I'll try and build in it such a way the driving portion (3D world and controls) are seperated out as to be used as a racing game engine (assuming I don't just find a pre-existing top-down driving game engine and use that)

Tower Defense is also nice. We don't have many of this for the Pandora and the promissing project I already made some 3D Tower and Landscape Models seems to be pretty death. ^^""

I too would love to see a pure top-down racer in the Super Cars style with some of the stuff Wrath Of Khan wrote about. That would be great.
You've just voted for Hot Pursuit. As stated, this game is not a top-down racing game. I'm wondering how many people have voted for this thinking that :unsure:

Edit: Are you still interested in HP as it is described in the first post?

Looking close. Probably will call it around lunch time tomorrow - unless it's tied. Then start working on the full design, and look at my coding options (libraries etc.)

I want a port of DizzyAGE, and Oolite. DizzyAGE shouldn't be too hard if someone with the correct skills were to look at it.

Looks like Hot Pursuit is the favourite - a close call. My 3D experience is limited, but should be okay; and will give me a reason to play with it some more.

Thanks to those who read the post and voted.

Edit: Urh, as this appears to have been moved - I'll give it another day in case some people didn't see it where it was.

I voted for the tower defense game, simply because I like that one too...

However what I truly want is a Network Multiplayer / Online Gauntlet game.

Something like Gauntlet Legends / Dark Legacy maybe.

If that's too much work, even something like oldschool Gauntlet would do the job nicely already.

Looks like the winner is (still) Hot Pursuit, by a massive one vote. :p

Thanks again to all the voters

I voted for the tower defense game, simply because I like that one too...

However what I truly want is a Network Multiplayer / Online Gauntlet game.

Something like Gauntlet Legends / Dark Legacy maybe.

If that's too much work, even something like oldschool Gauntlet would do the job nicely already.
I would like to develop my game to have Gauntlet elements someday, but it seems to take so long, what with irl taking up more and more time.

Looks like the winner is (still) Hot Pursuit, by a massive one vote. :p

Thanks again to all the voters
I was one of the voters for Hot Pursuit. :lol:

It sounds like great fun - I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Back