What Do You Think Of This Mid

riosingh

Website
Visit site
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=286831&source=1

what do you guys think of this?
is there any one developing for this?
is it based on something else, which has more info available for it?

any help would be greatly apreciated.

riosingh said:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=286831&source=1

what do you guys think of this?
is there any one developing for this?
is it based on something else, which has more info available for it?

any help would be greatly apreciated.
Well, I'll do my best:

I think it's silly. I wonder if they're using WinCE to confuse people who want desktop Windows? They call it a "micro netbook", which is ridiculous. It also doesn't support any sort of media playback, can't print to a printer, and you can't install any more programs.

Who's going to develop for it when you can't install anything?

Whatever it's based on, it didn't improve enough.

Well, I tried.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it hard to believe this MID doesn't support media files or the installation of programs. It has Windows CE on it, so these things should work. Probably the seller just has no clue about it.

I still think its shitty, i wouldn't want a MID that has to rely solely on Wifi for internet access.
Hopefully the MID i ordered more than a year ago arrives soon...

Knowing Maplins, the questions were probably answered by some 16 year old that doesn't have a clue about the item. If I remember, I can pop into the Maplins near me on Friday to see if I can find one and find out the actual make/model/etc.

Edit: Ignore that. Some crappy Maplins own brand thing. The actual model is A10JQ and they link to the manual @ http://www.maplin.co.uk/Media/PDFs/A10JQ Manual.pdf :p

it's mid is nice, but it's beginning and end are where it really shines

guilmon999 said:
well since it involves windows i think it sucks
since you're a dumbass i think you sucks

I don't get the point of Windows CE, I think just because it has the Windows name do people think 'hey, I might like this device'. There is no GUI advantages to using it and there is zero compatibility with Microsoft's desktop OS. Microsoft doesn't even like Windows CE, right now I think it's just seen as a place holder until they make something better.

second exodous said:
I don't get the point of Windows CE, I think just because it has the Windows name do people think 'hey, I might like this device'. There is no GUI advantages to using it and there is zero compatibility with Microsoft's desktop OS. Microsoft doesn't even like Windows CE, right now I think it's just seen as a place holder until they make something better.
maybe because a great deal of people aren't nerds who have free time to spend all day looking up obscure console commands

PoisonedV said:
second exodous said:
maybe because a great deal of people aren't nerds who have free time to spend all day looking up obscure console commands
Lol, have you used Windows CE? It shouldn't even be called 'Windows', to use it you have to be a 'nerd that has free time to spend looking up obscure ways to make things work.'

Really, Windows CE is not 'Windows'. If you get a Windows CE device thinking it's like Windows 95/98/2000/XP/Vista/7 you are in for a huge disappointment. I've seen installs of OS's where you need to 'look up obscure console commands' that are a lot more like Windows than Windows CE.

second exodous said:
PoisonedV said:
second exodous said:
Lol, have you used Windows CE? It shouldn't even be called 'Windows', to use it you have to be a 'nerd that has free time to spend looking up obscure ways to make things work.'

Really, Windows CE is not 'Windows'. If you get a Windows CE device thinking it's like Windows 95/98/2000/XP/Vista/7 you are in for a huge disappointment. I've seen installs of OS's where you need to 'look up obscure console commands' that are a lot more like Windows than Windows CE.
yes, I've used windows ce, so essentially shut up

PoisonedV said:
second exodous said:
PoisonedV said:
second exodous said:

Lol, I'm sorry.

To be fair, that's a pretty good price for Maplins. Usually you'll have to give a kidney as a deposit for any electronical devices from there. I've not used Windows CE (Crap Edition), but I'm guessing that your quite limited as to what you can do on it unlike the original OS like XP (Kinda).
tongue.gif

PoisonedV said:
second exodous said:
PoisonedV said:
second exodous said:

then you know how bad and horrible it makes are lives

riosingh said:
what do you guys think of this? is there any one developing for this? is it based on something else, which has more info available for it? any help would be greatly apreciated.

Well, I've found a few things that work. Gnuchess, Netcat (telnet etc.) and a version of Putty, there may even be a version of of FTP that works as well.

I have tried a loads of software that doesn't work and ignored lots of software as I'm only interested in Communications software so if you feel like playing have a look here :-

ftp://ukms.pda.tucows.com/sites/www.pdacentral.com/

ftp://ukms.pda.tucows.com/sites/www.pdacentral.com/fileswince/

GnuChess
ftp://ukms.pda.tucows.com/sites/www.pdacentral.com/filespocketpc/GNUChess.zip

Putty
http://www.pocketputty.net/download.html

Netcat
http://prt.fernuni-hagen.de/~bischoff/wince/#netcat

So how do you stop your programs dissapearing into the ether?

If you try to load new programs onto the MAPLIN MID as you would any other WinCE device they will dissapear the moment you switch off, the wonder of an embedded OS.

First you need to make a sub-directory in the \system\desktop\ or in \nand directories and 'place' your programs there.

With the netcat program place the associated CELIB.DLL in the same directory. The GnuChess program requires the Gnuchess.bok file in the \Windows directory which will dissapear the moment you switch off, it will however play a game without it.

GnuChess, FTPCE and Putty will run from a shortcut on the desktop but you need to run NETCAT in the directory you have placed the .exe and .dll files.

Because of the screen size some of the programs were made for, you need to set the Taskbar to autohide eg for the gnuchess.

Madge
spammailformadge@yahoo.com <---- this works and I check it at least 3 time a week

Back