What Did I Just Do...

Alex.

Retired
Last night at 1am I was out of batteries and wanted to test something. I took the AC adapter I used for the GP32 and plugged it into the 2X. It only supplies 3V, not 3.3. I turned it on, and the screen started going on and off, so after a couple of seconds of fiddling with it I unplugged it.

Now my GP2X no longer overclocks to 266Mhz, 244Mhz seems to be the top. And then I realized something. Overclocking's overrated.

- Alex

Alex. posted on Jul 8 2006 at 01:22 PM said:
Last night at 1am I was out of batteries and wanted to test something. I took the AC adapter I used for the GP32 and plugged it into the 2X. It only supplies 3V, not 3.3. I turned it on, and the screen started going on and off, so after a couple of seconds of fiddling with it I unplugged it.

Now my GP2X no longer overclocks to 266Mhz, 244Mhz seems to be the top. And then I realized something. Overclocking's overrated.

- Alex
yep my 280Mhz batteries gp2x is overrated, NOT! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
280 MHz batteries? What? Uh, OK. Anyway, if the polarity was backwards on that brick, it's possible you blew some component and interfered with normal current flow through the unit; some blown cap somewhere perhaps. If it was just under the rated voltage or current, but not reverse polarity or TOO MUCH voltage, it should not have damaged anything ..

But remember overclocking is a chaotic thing anyway and by its very nature unpredictable. At any rate the performance gulf between 244 and 266 Mhz isn't that big. Now, 200 Mhz and 300 Mhz is-- I can tell you the change in performance in SNES and NeoGeo emulation is night and day.

Back