What Are The Advantages In Upgrading My Firmware

Lettuce Dude

Hogarth the hairy Hippo.
Website
Visit site
I've been wondering what the firmware updates do, I know that they fix any video problems but I'm not having any at the moment so is there any point in me upgrading? what's the point, why is everybody doing it?

Yes, bettery life is the main difference I've noticed. It seems a lot better for me on 1.1.0. I'm using decent rechargeables anyway, but it's still good to not need to charge them so often.

if i were you i won't upgrade the firmware. Before i had no problems (no scanlines.....) now that i have the 1.1.0, i have even more scanline than with the 1.0.1, and the video player crashes.
Up to you...but if you dont have problems now, maybe wait until they release a update that really solve all the problems....

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that I read the 1.1.0 FW also re-breaks the USB connection for some people. Not that this is an issue if you have a card reader, and I think most people have one anyway. Personally, I'm sticking wil 1.0.1 until (hopefully) the a final one is released for the GP2X launch in January.

I had USB work on my friends computer with 1.0, but it wouldn't work on mine under 1.0 or 1.1.0

I've noticed improvments with the video player with 1.1.0, and it fixed the problems with the DrMD menu (it now looks perfect!). I had a few crashes in games under 1.0, and have had very few problems under 1.1.0

reaper79 posted on Dec 29 2005 at 12:19 PM said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that I read the 1.1.0 FW also re-breaks the USB connection for some people. Not that this is an issue if you have a card reader, and I think most people have one anyway. Personally, I'm sticking wil 1.0.1 until (hopefully) the a final one is released for the GP2X launch in January.

There never will be a final, they'll always be updating it, just like the PSP always is updating its firmware. You'll be waiting untilGPh stops supporting the GP2X if you plan on doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.1 seemed to be better for me at least, I can finally play a xvid movie all the way through without crashing, and battery life seems better. I don't see any of the scanlines or LCD problems other people mention, maybe they have really sensitive eyes or something.

God Ginrai posted on Dec 29 2005 at 12:36 PM said:
reaper79 posted on Dec 29 2005 at 12:19 PM said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that I read the 1.1.0 FW also re-breaks the USB connection for some people.  Not that this is an issue if you have a card reader, and I think most people have one anyway.  Personally, I'm sticking wil 1.0.1 until (hopefully) the a final one is released for the GP2X launch in January.

There never will be a final, they'll always be updating it, just like the PSP always is updating its firmware. You'll be waiting untilGPh stops supporting the GP2X if you plan on doing that.

Well, the idea here is that all GP2X's are currently pre-launch, and that when they actually LAUNCH the GP2X, it will have a more finalized more friendly less brickable firmware with it. To my knowledge, there never really were FW updates for the GP32, save for the FW's that came with the unit. All other FW UPDATES were dev built for the most part. I believe that once they have a good FW, GPH will stop updating it. Sony primarily releases FW to stop the Homebrew/Emulation scene.

Still, not risking a brick until things get ironed out. 1.0.1 is fine for me at the moment. MP3's and DrMD function fine.

I don't understand why people are saying PRE-launch. It was my understanding that the GP2x is already officially out. There may be another batch coming out but as far as being 'released', it already is. Firmware upgrades are a good thing, they offer better features and fix any bugs with the current firmware. I for one welcome the firmware upgrades and want to see them continue to be released. It also gives a sign that the device is fully supported and that there is a dedicated team working hard to make their product better.

Wolfspirit posted on Dec 29 2005 at 08:15 PM said:
I don't understand why people are saying PRE-launch. It was my understanding that the GP2x is already officially out. There may be another batch coming out but as far

Because of number of bugs in the gp2x's firmware. There are lots of them!

Not that is making gp2x useless but even with the latest 1.1.0 version of firmware things aren't yet as they should.

So yeah - the gp2x is officially out, that's true but it also true that the firmware is far from optimal. And I don't have in the mind only features here.

For an example the upgrading is hardly failure proof. I didn't unbrick my gp2x yet thought I'm making it closer to happen. All this was somewhat by my mistake but still... why couldn't it be robust enough to not hassle users with such problems?

Because GPH rushed the gp2x and even made distinction with "First Edition" name.

The thing is, flashing will always be a touchy thing. Even if you flash your bios on your PC, till this day there is still a chance of rendering your system useless (bricking). They can add a bunch of fool proof methods to get around this but there is always the possibilty. But these devices run from their flash memory so that is the only way to update them, I have no problem as long as I know I have full battery life, the image has been fully tested, and I have followed all of the given directions.

Wolfspirit posted on Dec 29 2005 at 10:43 PM said:
The thing is, flashing will always be a touchy thing. Even if you flash your bios on your PC, till this day there is still a chance of rendering your system useless (bricking). They can add a bunch of fool proof methods to get around this but there is always the possibilty. But these devices run from their flash memory so that is the only way to update them, I have no problem as long as I know I have full battery life, the image has been fully tested, and I have followed all of the given directions.

Yes of course but... with gp2x there are too many problems regarding the SD cards. Even unformatted one can brick the unit. There can be only vfat32 and something what work on one brand doesn't on another. I was trying to unbrick my gp2x and finally succeeded using previously not working Kingston when much more compatible Sandisk couldn't flash the gp2xfile.img!? (they have different cylinder count - perhaps the uboot is finicky even with this?)

So sure when flashing things always might get wrong but with gp2x as it's now it's too much.

Back