What angle should the screen hold at?

lrochfort

Still Fresh
Hello,

I just bought a used 1GHz OpenPandora and I'm already enjoying using.

However, I notice that the screen doesn't stay at what I would describe as a "laptop angle". It will stay there a little, but the slightest knock and it flips to fully open at 180 degrees. Once at 180 degrees it seems to lock in place.

Is this normal behaviour?

Many thanks.

Yes, unfortunately. I believe they are considering different hinges for the Pyra that should let it lock in at the "laptop angle", but we'll have to wait and see.

Yes, unfortunately. I believe they are considering different hinges for the Pyra that should let it lock in at the "laptop angle", but we'll have to wait and see.
Wow, that was quick!!

To be honest, I've found that I mostly hold the pandora in my both hands, with my hands making a "gun" position. The 180 degree settings seems to work quite well there.

There is, also, in Thingiverse, a Pandora screen holder clip, if you have access to a 3D printer. Can't vouch for if it's any good or what not though

Edit: Link

Last edited by a moderator:
There is, also, in Thingiverse, a Pandora screen holder clip, if you have access to a 3D printer. Can't vouch for if it's any good or what not though

Edit: Link
I should print that out sometime.. I was thinking of modifying the design to allow it to slide into some kind of base that would allow for touch typing on a desk.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Pandora's hinge, if you believe what Craig said at the time, was actually designed to hold open at 180 degrees. We told him he was wrong, but he wasn't having none of it.

D.

I have an original CC unit that still stays open at any angle I want - and it's had daily use. I was either unusually lucky, or it's because I was afraid of early 'cracking' problems some users had, and as a preventative measure put a strip of strong clear vinyl adhesive (the stuff stationery stores sell to protect school books) very tightly across the seam at the base of the screen (as seen when closed, from the rear). I think this has helped maintain a firm hinge, it's certainly not friction on the vinyl.

I don't know if it'll work retrospectively, but the stuff can be peeled off easily enough if it does nothing for you.

Ive found that disassembling the pandora and wrapping a single layer of electrical tape around the tab on the backlid which the lcd cable slides through creates enough friction to hold the lid open at any desirable angle. It feels nice and sturdy and isnt visible once the pandora is reassembled so its a win win for me.

I have an original CC unit that still stays open at any angle I want - and it's had daily use. I was either unusually lucky, or it's because I was afraid of early 'cracking' problems some users had, and as a preventative measure put a strip of strong clear vinyl adhesive (the stuff stationery stores sell to protect school books) very tightly across the seam at the base of the screen (as seen when closed, from the rear). I think this has helped maintain a firm hinge, it's certainly not friction on the vinyl.

I don't know if it'll work retrospectively, but the stuff can be peeled off easily enough if it does nothing for you.

Ive found that disassembling the pandora and wrapping a single layer of electrical tape around the tab on the backlid which the lcd cable slides through creates enough friction to hold the lid open at any desirable angle. It feels nice and sturdy and isnt visible once the pandora is reassembled so its a win win for me.
Thank you both for the suggestions. I don't know that I'm brave enough to open the screen case yet because the plastic around the hinge at the edges does look somewhat like somebody's had at it with a screwdriver. I'm not sure anybody has, but it does look a bit that way.

I might try the vinyl approach if it really does annoy me in the long run.

Back