what about this new cooling solution..

tumalso

Still Fresh
It's been a while since I've seen the technical schematics of the pyra..
maybe that could bring a breath of fresh air into the matter. So far we have only dealt with passive cooling formations

a small excerpt from one of the technical documents from the website:
für pyra.png

Reactions: rSl
Just keep playing music, same thing :D

The tech isnt new btw, membranes in heatpipes is a thing that is tested in a lot of fields right now.

This actual design, i imagine will cause some downsides, it looks like it would actually insulate as long as it is not powered on, so it could potentially bite you in the ass with worse performance or constant battery drawing.

I haven't found it in a quick look at their home page, but I think 2.8 mm is just the size of the device, I guess you need some more clearance so that there's some space for air to move in the device. The output is by the side, but the air input is from above, so you need some more room there to let the air move, or how is it supposed to work else ?
Edit: I think the device includes a head spreader that must also take some height and is not counted in the 2.8mm. I wouldn't be surprised if the total room required was closer to 5 mm.

Last edited:
It has a way greater surface area than the SoC. It's meant to be connected via heat pipe - so would rather/could be positioned in the same plane as the chip.

For it to be efficient, yes. Part of its trick is, that how they move the air against the inner surface (rather high pressure or something) improves the thermal exchange between solid and fluid way beyond what you get, when you blow air with a fan through a coolers fins (traditionally). So they strengthened the weak link (solid -> air). Otherwise the thing would be to small to be useful, I guess.

I posted a video about it in this topic:
And the same question as the topic starter here:

For it to be efficient, yes. Part of its trick is, that how they move the air against the inner surface (rather high pressure or something) improves the thermal exchange between solid and fluid way beyond what you get, when you blow air with a fan through a coolers fins (traditionally). So they strengthened the weak link (solid -> air). Otherwise the thing would be to small to be useful, I guess.
Would it be easier to get clogged up with particles, moisture, etc. And also much harder to clean if it was (and impossible to tell how much contaminants are inside it causing it to just become a cosy warm blanket)?

@ClockworkCoder In the video they explained, you can put proper filters in its input path making your device proper dust proof, for the high pressure the thing builds up - or something like that.

They do not sound too great.
Take the Steam Deck of GPD devices for example.
Especially the Win Max 2 ad Win 4 which can sustain >40 watt cooling.
You would need multiple of those, each one consuming 1 watt.
These things might have their use where they are great for, but in my opinion they need to reduce power draw quite a bit

that heat pipe looks to be way bigger than 2.8mm diameter and ED already said that we dont have 2.8 mm space. there is very little space if i remember 1 to 1.5mm ? not sure

What about this heat pipe?

I think the dreamcast used something similar. Pipes are heavy, thick and in the end you still need to dissipate the heat.
If I remember correctly the Pyra already used copper in the PCB to spread heat over the system, but without active cooling the system can still build up heat and get warm.
And any peaks in heat will not be handled well either.

The Frore cooler is more efficient in cooling compared to big vents, as those require to push a lot of air to cool while this system can do it with hardly any air. It still uses relatively a lot of power compared to a fan.
I don't know how much power it actually needs, it might not be on al the time and might be set to a lower setting causing it to be less power hungry, but if this was the case they probably would have put that in the sales pitch.
I think it's a novel solution. If the Pyra is helped with a tiny fan, that's probably cheaper/easier.

Back