Were Will I Hold All The Stuff?

mild546

Still Fresh
does the Pandora come with a hard drive? I hope so. If the Pandora runs on SD cards only then i might change my mind about buying it and get an ipod touch instead. I mean where will i store all the software and games that i will be putting on it???

It doesn't come with a harddrive, but you can add one.

iPod Touch capacity specified by Apple: 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB flash drive

Pandora capacity: Upto 64GB internal (increasing to 128GB in the future), several hundred GB external (more if you have an external PSU to power the harddrive).

You really want an iTouch for storage reasons?

yah, but you have to pay extra money for the sd cards, and $320 is already expensive. I saw a 16gb ipod touch for $250 on amazon.A 16 gb sd card is $100. 16gb pandora=$420 16gb ipod touch=$250

pandora is gangsta said:
yah, but you have to pay extra money for the sd cards, and $320 is already expensive. I saw a 16gb ipod touch for $250 on amazon.A 16 gb sd card is $100. 16gb pandora=$420 16gb ipod touch=$250
then buy the iPod touch, it seems like a bargain ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
pandora is gangsta said:
16GB SD cards are coming down. And you wouldn't have to buy one of them anyway - to get 16 GB on a Pandora, you'd just need 2 8GB SD cards (the Pandora has 2 SD slots) - and they are pretty cheap. A quick search of NewEgg shows you can get a 8GB SDHC Class6 card for $25 (or less if you want to wait for a rebate). So it would be $330 for the Pandora + $50 for the SD cards - $380 for the 16 GB Pandora. Or you could go even cheaper and get 2 GB or 4 GB cards and just swap them out.

But with shipping and everything, let's say it's $400 total for the 16 GB Pandora. For the iPod Touch, you'd pay $250 for a *used* system - the Pandora is brand new, (I really doubt that "Just Launched" Amazon seller is telling the truth - you'd be lucky to get a used iPod - and more likely get a $60 iClone with no WiFi). For a new 16 GB iPod Touch is at least $300. And you'd have no way to play games other than touch screen. Add to that the fact that the screen is smaller and lower resolution, and that part of the screen will be taken up by controls - you're losing out.

To get something close to the Pandora, you'd have to buy an iPod and a PSP - and then mod the PSP to play homebrew apps and game. That's at least another $149. Or you could buy a Nokia N810, which is selling for around $300 some places. But you'd have to buy the SD cards again - and the N810 only has one usable SD slot - so you'd have to buy the 16 GB on one card instead of 2.... And, again, no game controls.

For the iPod Touch, you could wait for the iControlpad that Craig is working on - but it's not going to be free - so you'd have to add that cost to the $300 you spent on the iPod. And you still wouldn't have the apps, the power, the resolution, the keyboard, or the expandable storage of the Pandora.

And you should know, I'm seen as the Pandora detractor 'round these parts. But it's mostly because it's not ready yet. The system, as advertised, is pretty much unmatched for the price. And - it's unique combination of design elements really makes it unmatched at any price.

That all said - if you don't plan on retro-gaming on your machine - and you don't mind risking $250 on an unknown seller with a hard-to-believe price - and you don't plan on typing that much - or surfing the real-internet that doesn't fit on a 320 x 480 screen - or ever needing more than 16GB, by all means, get an iPod Touch.

pandora is gangsta said:
Well, to start with a 16GB SDHC card is only $50, it is your business if you want to pay $100 for it, I wouldn't. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE

Secondly, what is your plan when the ipod touch runs out of storage? There is no way to add an SD card or hard drive to the ipod touch, what then? buy a second one? Delete some stuff? If so, then just get the 8GB version for $200 on ebay and save the extra $50; you can manage 8GB just as well as 16GB.

If you enjoy math look at the above figures, by my reckoning the iPod Touch makes you pay $50 more for 8GB (and does not allow you to use even 1 SD card), where the Pandora has two SD slots and you can get 16GB cards for $50 apiece.

With an iPod you cannot ever get more memory on it, with a Pandora you have 2 memory slots and the ability to connect to an external hard drive (160gb-320gb 2.5" hard drives are available for about $100-$150).

If you can't understand this you will probably be happy with an iPod Touch, but trust me, this is a big reason why I have never owned an iPod. (I do want an iPod Touch of course, but for $200 and no more, and of course I would need a Pandora on the side because the iPod has no buttons. You can only do so much without buttons. Oh and the Pandora is much more powerful, the iPod is not very powerful at all.)

That all said - if you don't plan on retro-gaming on your machine - and you don't mind risking $250 on an unknown seller with a hard-to-believe price

ummm you can put software and emulators on an ipod touch if you jailbreak it. And the seller had a 90% rating which means he wasnt unknown.

Well, to start with a 16GB SDHC card is only $50, it is your business if you want to pay $100 for it, I wouldn't. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE

yes,that's true,but the only ones that are
$25 dollars are the poor quality ones. You can see that the Kingston are $100

I don't mind getting a used system,in fact i try too ;) I try to do my part in keeping stuff from going in landfills I dont think i will find a used pandora anytime soon.

pandora is gangsta said:
ummm you can put software and emulators on an ipod touch if you jailbreak it. And the seller had a 90% rating which means he wasnt unknown.
I don't mind getting a used system,in fact i try too ;) I try to do my part in keeping stuff from going in landfills I dont think i will find a used pandora anytime soon.
Man, your logic is great. 90% rating = 1 in 10 buyers dissatisfied. And what on earth makes you think an ipod touch is going to go to landfill if you don't buy it?

For what its worth, I think you'll be far happy with the ipod. ;)

pandora is gangsta said:
That all said - if you don't plan on retro-gaming on your machine

Yes, you can, but do really want to use part of the screen for a picture of a joypad and attempt to play games meant for a digital stick on a touchscreen?
yes,that's true,but the only ones that are $25 dollars are the poor quality ones.

What makes you think Apple will be using high quality ones? That don't even allow you to see what they've used for storage without voiding your warranty (and when its full, you need to buy a new iPod, hardly cheap).

and yes, I agree with TaG. 90% rating = 10% of sales have problems. Your purchase could end up in that 10%.

In all fairness, if he does want to game on the iPod, there will in due course be the other project Craigix and co are working on to help him do it without loss of too much screen realestate.

Personally, I think Pandora is a great deal, but so is the iPod touch; if it'll do what you need it to, by all means go down that route.

Back