Well, youtube died. . .

second exodous

Advanced Member
This is the first time I can remember youtube going down. Whoever pulled this out is 1337.

This had to happen on the day Mega Sg was announced. Maybe that is what broke yt. . .

Luckily, I've already downloaded all of my yt vids for my evening's entertainment. But yeah, if I try to download anything now it comes back with youtube saying everything's unavailable.

As always, I stand by Hanlon's razor; fuckup over foul play. Someone set all videos to be only permissible to view aboard the ISS or something.

I hope, one day the Internet goes down for a month or so. The world might become a better place.

You say that now, but will regret it the month the Pyra is due to be shipped. :p

But agree. Hopefully fewer people would have their heads up their own asses if it happened.

The Pyra is a general purpose computer, and those predate the internet and arpanet. If you've already downloaded openstreet map files for your location, you can still use maps, and you can still run any games and emulators you've already got. Now you do tend to get those files via the internet in the first place, and if the internet suddenly stopped existing before the pyra came out, we'd probably end up posting around sd cards like PD houses used to mail out floppy discs to people.

It's not really like your phone, which would pretty much revert to being a dumb phone without a package interface to the internet. And without the internet, openstreetmap itself would probably die, but the prexisting data wouldn't suddenly stop existing.

The Pyra is a general purpose computer, and those predate the internet and arpanet. If you've already downloaded openstreet map files for your location, you can still use maps, and you can still run any games and emulators you've already got. Now you do tend to get those files via the internet in the first place, and if the internet suddenly stopped existing before the pyra came out, we'd probably end up posting around sd cards like PD houses used to mail out floppy discs to people.

It's not really like your phone, which would pretty much revert to being a dumb phone without a package interface to the internet. And without the internet, openstreetmap itself would probably die, but the prexisting data wouldn't suddenly stop existing.

What I meant was "good luck finding any latest news / updates re the Pyra" before getting one.

Part of my need for a Pyra is to help me switch off from the internet generally. At least unless I actually ask for it, rather than it constantly asking me "are you interested in X"

Ah, I find blocking scripts does a lot of that for me. Only when I'm shopping at amazon these days does it fire recommendations at me, and mostly I laugh at how wrongly they've got my tastes.

But yeah, without places like here and the tech news sites that report it, ED would probably end up having to mail out quarterly news letters or something. Although I've forgotten how to pay for things internationally these days. Are SWIFT bank transfers still a thing?

Ah, I find blocking scripts does a lot of that for me. Only when I'm shopping at amazon these days does it fire recommendations at me, and mostly I laugh at how wrongly they've got my tastes.

But yeah, without places like here and the tech news sites that report it, ED would probably end up having to mail out quarterly news letters or something. Although I've forgotten how to pay for things internationally these days. Are SWIFT bank transfers still a thing?

One thing that irked me about Gmail, while I was still forced to use it, was that it kept recommending different dating sites. And yes, that was after opting out of "personalised ads". Needless to say, my wife wasn't too happy about it either.

Funnily enough Amazon kept recommending ladies' shoes.

I don't get any notifications like that any more. Don't use a mainstream phone or browser and use off-line email clients.

I've been reading more fanzines and books too. Silence is golden.

I'll admit it though, I do watch youtube.

I've written a script to download youtube mp4 and webm files overnight when my ISPs fair use clause is more lax. I need to paste a youtube url into a text file on my server and it comes back with a raw video file with no ads and no stupid youtube comments. The script uses youtube-dl to do the heavy lifting.
[doublepost=1539802332,1539797439][/doublepost]So, ABC news has a story about youtube going down on Sunday: https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=4344105&page=1

Only problem is for me this thread popped up on Tuesday morning for me. I don't think that's still Sunday anywhere in the world from here.

One thing that irked me about Gmail, while I was still forced to use it, was that it kept recommending different dating sites. And yes, that was after opting out of "personalised ads". Needless to say, my wife wasn't too happy about it either.
I don't get ads on gmail at all. Never have. No recommendations or anything, just my email. If you were getting anything else then something fishy was going on.

What is Mega sg?
megasghero2.jpg

It's another system for Analogue that uses a FPGA to replicate the Genesis/Mega Drive hardware for modern TVs. It also does every Sega system up to the Master System/Sega CD with $10 adapters. Anyway, I heard about this, wanted to watch some youtube videos on it because the Analogue site was down and youtube was dead, I had to wait until it came back on to watch videos about it. If it wasn't for this I would have been like 'wow, yt is down' and then checked back in a few hours but I really really wanted news on the Mega SG

I don't have any tabs. I don't remember ever having any tabs, much less a Promotions tab, and I've been with gmail literally since the month it started. I suppose I could've blocked it from my memory.
Either way, sounds like it was both really easy to ignore and a really easy thing to opt out of. What was the fuss about?

my own website goes down, even I don't notice
So I'm not the only one :D
[doublepost=1539869625,1539869315][/doublepost]
no stupid youtube comments.
No stupid youtube comments!!!!
But that like the best part of the youtube experience.
[doublepost=1539869929][/doublepost]
The "basic html mode" doesn't show them yet, fwiw.
So that's why I didn't notice.
Not only is the basic html version less bloated its also ad free :D

Back