Weird Battery Issue

pseudonym404

Still Fresh
My Wiz suddenly seems to have died. One minute sat there doing nothing in particular, the next, off with no lights.

It now won't boot.. ..if the battery is inserted. The power led lights up and immediately fades, powers off and won't power up again until I remove and reinsert the battery, at which point, the same thing happens.

If you power it by USB with the battery inserted, it goes completely mental, the screen flashes madly for a few seconds, and it powers off and won't power again until you remove and reinsert the battery.

If the battery is not inserted however, and it is powered by USB, it still works fine (in as far as you can call a non-portable portable fine).

Anyone have any ideas?

pseudonym404 said:
My Wiz suddenly seems to have died. One minute sat there doing nothing in particular, the next, off with no lights.

It now won't boot.. ..if the battery is inserted. The power led lights up and immediately fades, powers off and won't power up again until I remove and reinsert the battery, at which point, the same thing happens.

If you power it by USB with the battery inserted, it goes completely mental, the screen flashes madly for a few seconds, and it powers off and won't power again until you remove and reinsert the battery.

If the battery is not inserted however, and it is powered by USB, it still works fine (in as far as you can call a non-portable portable fine).

Anyone have any ideas?

well i'm not an expert myself just a noob, but is clear that the problem is the battery, maybe if you try with another battery?

Last edited by a moderator:
bienmexicano said:
well i'm not an expert myself just a noob, but is clear that the problem is the battery, maybe if you try with another battery?

Not having (or being able to obtain) another battery, I did some basic tests on the battery with a multimeter, and it seems OK. It's looking like the regulator circuitry has failed, so the unit is being returned for replacement.

Thanks anyway though. :)

pseudonym404 said:
Not having (or being able to obtain) another battery, I did some basic tests on the battery with a multimeter, and it seems OK. It's looking like the regulator circuitry has failed, so the unit is being returned for replacement.

well good luck with the replacement :)

bienmexicano said:
pseudonym404 said:

well good luck with the replacement :)
I worked out the cause of the fault (fortunately before returning it).

One of the ground pins in my serial cable had been pushed in, so it wasn't contacting, but as the charging light was still lit, and the serial port still worked, I hadn't noticed.

I still haven't worked out why the screen went mental when using the bundled usb cable, but leaving the battery out for a few days, and then charging for a few minutes (and replacing the plug on my serial cable with one that doesn't have a loose pin) seems to have resolved the issue.

Back