Wcuniverse Project

Nr.56

I was a fan of the WingCommander series in the early 90th. There is the WCUniverse Project developing a game set in the Wing Commander Universe. Is a port possible? Is a port (if possible) wished?
In my opinion this could be a enrichment for the gp2x, because there is no comparable game. ;)
softwarerendering, few poligons and the small resolution promise reasonable hardware requirements, even though freedom of movement in a huge universe.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Are you like, kidding? Or do you mean lowering the quality... Hopefully so, because this game is way too much to run on the gp2x. Way too much. Or it so appears... I'm downloading it to check it out. In the meantime, if you meant "Direct Port" then your either insane or think a little too much of the gp2x. Maybe Game Park will release the Xgp some day...

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Are you like, kidding? Or do you mean lowering the quality... Hopefully so, because this game is way too much to run on the gp2x. Way too much. Or it so appears... I'm downloading it to check it out. In the meantime, if you meant "Direct Port" then your either insane or think a little too much of the gp2x. Maybe Game Park will release the Xgp some day...

What I had in mind is exactly this game (linux version) with a adapted engine for the lower resolution (320x240) and softwarerendering (maybe 256 colors). In this space-environment there are only few poligons to build the environment. Therefore a spaceshooter should run much faster than a first person shooter with qualitative comparable graphics. I might be wrong, but I think the hardware requirements for Privateer 2 was a Pentium 60! ;)
We need such a game!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Vegastrike is a pretty big engine, lots of floating point math, designed for modern computers. You'd end up tearing out a lot of their game code to shoehorn it in there; it's not just a matter of swapping the renderer and hoping everyone's happy.

You'd probably end up rewriting most of it, which would tend to suggest that a from-scratch Elitelike would be a profitable venture. The first step would be to write a pretty fast scanline rasterizer for the GP2X, something I haven't seen much of yet.

Vegastrike is a pretty big engine, lots of floating point math, designed for modern computers. You'd end up tearing out a lot of their game code to shoehorn it in there; it's not just a matter of swapping the renderer and hoping everyone's happy.

You'd probably end up rewriting most of it, which would tend to suggest that a from-scratch Elitelike would be a profitable venture. The first step would be to write a pretty fast scanline rasterizer for the GP2X, something I haven't seen much of yet.

I think you are right, it would be a lot of work to cut of all unusable features. But WC-Series has got atmosphere and a lot of missions. And there is no spaceshooter available for the 2x (maybe not even a usable engine), maybe the work could be of value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back