Project Zomboid

DrLGR

I just learned about an interesting "zombie RPG" that is currently being made. Project Zomboid

Let me start off by saying I don't really know that much about what is necessary to run things on the Pandora other than "source code is needed for port requests!" Luckily, I don't think this is a port request. The authors have the game available(ish) for PC/MAC/Linux, which I would think might be easy for them to compile for arm? From what I've learned here it would still depend on what dependencies they are using, such as openGL or the other things that are related to that.

What I was hoping is that perhaps a dev that has a better understanding of what would be necessary could contact them, see if it would be possible for them to have a Pandora compatible release, and if so if they would be willing. Since the game is still in alpha and receiving updates, if it was easy for them to do they could just release the updates to those that have purchased it, and then go from there. I didn't want to contact them myself because I don't think I would be very compelling with something along the lines of "Have you heard about the Pandora......It would be perfect for the Pandora..."

About the game, basic idea is to survive as long as possible. Everyone will die eventually.

Thanks to anyone interested in trying to talk to them.

LGR

LGR said:
I just learned about an interesting "zombie RPG" that is currently being made. Project Zomboid

Let me start off by saying I don't really know that much about what is necessary to run things on the Pandora other than "source code is needed for port requests!" Luckily, I don't think this is a port request. The authors have the game available(ish) for PC/MAC/Linux, which I would think might be easy for them to compile for arm? From what I've learned here it would still depend on what dependencies they are using, such as openGL or the other things that are related to that.

What I was hoping is that perhaps a dev that has a better understanding of what would be necessary could contact them, see if it would be possible for them to have a Pandora compatible release, and if so if they would be willing. Since the game is still in alpha and receiving updates, if it was easy for them to do they could just release the updates to those that have purchased it, and then go from there. I didn't want to contact them myself because I don't think I would be very compelling with something along the lines of "Have you heard about the Pandora......It would be perfect for the Pandora..."

About the game, basic idea is to survive as long as possible. Everyone will die eventually.

Thanks to anyone interested in trying to talk to them.

LGR

I read about this too. Looks really good. My understanding is that, it being written using java, it should' just work' as long we have ARM-compiled Java virtual machine. Can't wait...to actually get my pandy and try it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking game but I guess JAVA and especialy LWJGL will take away all the hope to see a Port onto the Pandora, same like Minecraft, PC version.
Is Java really that great because everyone now seems to make Games with it? :huh:

fusion_power said:
Nice looking game but I guess JAVA and especialy LWJGL will take away all the hope to see a Port onto the Pandora, same like Minecraft, PC version.
Is Java really that great because everyone now seems to make Games with it? :huh:

I thought there was an open-source JVM for linux? I was really looking forward to playing this one day...
Java is a nice OO language with garbage collection (that is theoretically totally platform independent, no need to recompile), it's what Microsoft based .NET on basically. I prefer the speed of C++ but I reckon any speed gains are negligible nowadays, especially for simple games and applications

...really must try out Java again, there's some high-paying Java jobs about!

Last edited by a moderator:
well, just look at Minecraft and how it performes even on High End PC's. ;) Crysis was running not very Different onto my Quadcore PC and it looks at least ways better than Minecraft, even when I prefer Minecraft over Crysis. ^^
I also had bad experiences with Java games, the german "Edna bricht aus" is a Adventure with simple 2D graphics and small animations but it performs very slow in all aspects onto my PC (still a great game by the way).
I know that java has advantages but I just wish it would perform better, especialy on mobile ARM devices. :)

The Java platform it is ported to Pandora?
The game itself to you it needs to be ported or "ARM Java" can be launched directly?
Without the controls of course:)
Cordialy

Java is ported, it only remains that the library LWJGL to ported on Pandora ;)
Source is here : http://sourceforge.net/projects/java-game-lib/files/Official%20Releases/LWJGL%202.8.2/
if anyone wants to try ;)

Back