"Watch Paint Dry - The Game" or "How to troll Steam's security holes"

Trying to raise the flag on people stating what they witnessed is also not a generalization. This is far from the anti-Muslim stuff you post here, and in fact, this is the same stance I took on that.
As so often while I was mostly talking about Islam/Quran, you and some others thought I was talking about (self-proclaimed) muslims and most people still seem to fail to see the difference.

I know a bunch of women around the US that work in IT, and several have said that, in their experience, sexism is present in their workplace and in IT (based on interacting with people outside their company, going to conferences, etc). The one thing I don't remember them saying is that sexism isn't a problem.
I know some in Germany, one being my ex. She had an easy time getting a well paid job as a programmer although she never really programmed and studied something else (although she learns relatively fast and is dedicated to whatever she does). Her team-chief is female too and doesn't do/know any programming at all, just telling people what to do without insight in the actual job. They make a lot of money and indeed say, that sexism isn't a problem. Same goes for the other girls I know in these fields although they are always a minority due to the aforementioned lack of interest which directly benefits them as it makes getting a job in such fields easier for them because sex/gender actually matters (often more than skills).
Of course the USA seem to lag behind at a lot of things from what I gather.

Making international generalisations is always bound to fail but maybe it's just hard to imagine that the world is kind of big and diverse in a virtual space like this one where distance isn't an issue and regional distinctions aren't as apparent.

Last edited:
Please note I didn't say women aren't interested in science and computing. It's still something of a mystery as to why there aren't as many female applicants for certain course and roles, and is being actively investigated at the moment. The assumption seems to be that there should be no difference between the sexes if they were brought up the same, and perhaps the only difference is the way people are brought up. It's been observed I think that girls on entry to school appear to be as interested in the sciences as the boys, and perhaps there's some other preference that is only expressed in later school life in a lot of girls, or perhaps the way subjects are presented turns them off.

Making international generalisations is always bound to fail but maybe it's just hard to imagine that the world is kind of big and diverse in a virtual space like this one where distance isn't an issue and regional distinctions aren't as apparent.
I was hoping you could point out where I made a generalization, but I guess I will have to take your word for it. As for one part of the world vs another, there are also places where it is much worse than in the US.

@levi I wasn't clear on what you meant, however I do think that the larger culture I mentioned is to blame in some instances. I know a family will sometimes try to talk someone into or out of doing something based on various factors. In my part of the world there is a strong "this is for boys and this is for girls" view of certain things still, which I think is a major factor. (Things are different in some parts of my family, with boys playing with Barbie dolls, and girls playing video games.)

I was talking to a female I know about science as a subject for a different reason a few minutes ago, and she didn't seem to feel that the way things are presented mattered, as she was talking about her high grades in those classes. I wish I had asked her opinion/feelings/observations about this.

Damn...now that I think about it I kinda want to ask some librarians I know. Both are women, one has an education in anthropology (something I also enjoy) and the other in geology. My guess is there are not many jobs for them here. The geologist is a little older, so she might be able to provide a bit more insight on how things have changed (or not) over the decades. If I try we will probably spend 2 hours talking about books and our other shared interests, since that always happens, even when I plan on only checking out a book.

Disclaimer: My formal education, and that of those I was discussing in the post, has been (mostly) in the US. My comment about jobs was about the immediate area I live in, as there may be jobs for them in other places with their field of study.

Last edited:
this is the only video I found
I'm curious to see also the "gameplay", I've seen around an image with a menu
[doublepost=1459553435,1459553214][/doublepost]anyway I found this from 2 years ago O_O

That older one looks pretty cool. A bit too much going on in it for me. If I am playing a game about watching paint dry I don't want to have to click on all sorts of other things while watching the paint. Just let me watch the paint. It would be nice if there was some form of eye tracking so that the clock stopped if you weren't watching the paint instead.

Back