Was kinda thinking about getting a tablet.

JDTAY

Half Pepperoni, All Cheese
My last one was a Nexus 7 2013, which I destroyed in a fit of paranoia in 2018. Thing was dated anyway.

Speaking of dated though, apparently Android 10 is out, but all the tablets I can find are on Android 9. Should I be concerned?

I currently have an Amazon Fire 7 (7th gen) which meets my basic needs, mostly web surfing, YouTube, the occasional puzzle game and book reading. Though I'm currently in the process of moving away from tablets to dual/larger screen phones. Due to the only reason I have a tablet being the screen size.

Should I be concerned?

Not really. After a fair number of years having owned Android devices, I've learned that manufacturers only tend to issue updates if they're forced to and they stop doing so as soon as they possibly can. So it's just business as usual really.

Why go with Android?
I'd buy a Windows tablet.
Maybe even a convertible with attachable keyboard.

I don't line Windows but I prefer it over Android any time.
It has really good touch support (I own a Windows tablet) and has much more versatility than Android with in my opinion the same ease of use.

There are older Surface Pro 4 really cheap on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-...199051&hash=item3fe2028d00:g:pk0AAOSwCMxeyVAs
You get super high quality hardware, can attach a keyboard and use a high quality pen.
Especially the Surface series should have decent Linux support, too if you are interested in that.

You will get so much more out of 2-3 year old Surface Pro devices instead to an Android device.

Last edited:
I currently have an Amazon Fire 7 (7th gen) which meets my basic needs, mostly web surfing, YouTube, the occasional puzzle game and book reading.

Ok, that one is 60€ on Amazon.
So way cheaper than the 190$ Surface I've linked above.
So it depends what you need/want.

I'd go with the Surface, as it offers more.
Maybe you don't need its capabilities right now, but if you need them it's good to have them available.
I've made such experiences several times.
Especially at Gamescom when bringing my collection of useless adaptors and cables with me and each year we needed SOME part I've never used before.
I've also a Table with a pencil. I never had plans to draw stuff, as I suck at drawing.
I used it as a pointer device for the desktop.
Then came the day where I had a User Experience Seminar at University and I suddenly used it to draw some shetches and made some concepts with Krita.
So you see, you'll never know what you'll need in the future. And paying a little more for a high quality device might be worth it.
For me an Android Tablet is just a waste of money. It offers not much except basic stuff any other device can do similar or better.

So, the Amazon Fire 8 Plus I pre-ordered a week in advance, that released two days ago, has just been given an estimated delivery date of July 26th.

I'm probably gonna cancel and get something else, but I'll have to wait until the person who helps with my finances comes in tomorrow, so they can approve it.

So, I did end up canceling, but not until yesterday. I'm sorry, Amazon, I tried.

Even worse, you guys know how bad I am with money, right? I didn't ask my finance person before canceling. I had sort of an urgent dumb purchase to make.

When I told them this morning, at first they said they were gonna take the remaining tablet money off my prepaid debit card, but that would've been a hassle, so instead they just told me they won't be loading anything more onto it for the next three weeks. Now I gotta make what I have last until halfway through July.

At least it's good to know that ED isn't shipping my Pyra during that time, right? Not that I wouldn't give my recreation budget for a month to pay off the rest of my Pyra.

Back