Warning - Don't Buy Fallout 3 New Vegas..

DaveC

Internal Development
This is a warning to avoid the Bethesda game Fallout 3 New Vegas at all costs. If you got it free, dig a hole and bury it in the back yard!

I have never seen or attempted to play as big of a glitch-ridden bug fest in my whole life of gaming as this. This game is is a pre-alpha title at best that should be at least a year from release.

One hour into this bug-bomb and a side quest was broken by a quest busting glitch. I trip online gave a map of exactly how to tip toe through the bug minefield to complete the buggy quest. But it is not just the occasional floating monster, missing polygon, or lock up. No it is much worse.

All was for naught anyway. Many hours in and the rotten spaghetti code started falling apart faster than the skin off of a ghoul. After a certain point you get a message about mising downloadable content (of course it is missing, I don't have any!)and all of your game saves are CORRUPT! The problem is that you don't know it until you get killed or shut off and try to load the next day etc. So you think you are saving fine but in fact you are writing zeroes to your HDD. Yes that is right none will load and all of your time you put in POOF! Just like that. Worse yet some users are reporting that the game save bug code goes wild and nukes your whole hard drive! That means your saves for ALL games on the HDD are also gone!

(BTW when you read "DLC bug" it is not really a bug with any DLC, the error just complains about DLC in the error message whether you have any or not, even the message is screwed up!)

If you bought this but haven't opened it I would return this. If you did open it I wouldn't take the chance with it, try to return it. This kind of lack of testing should not be rewarded. If you were thinking about getting or giving for a gift this holiday, dont, scratch this glitchy mess from the list. This bug effects PC, Xbox 360 and PS3.

If you don't believe me and think it an isolated case of bad luck just google: fallout new vegas corrupt save

example: http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1141723-utter-disgrace/

You have been warned.

my coworker has been playing this game and concurs that it is the buggiest game he has ever played. Everyday he somehow manages to simultaneously sound very angry at the bugs and impressed about how much fun the non-bug parts are.

WizardStan said:
my coworker has been playing this game and concurs that it is the buggiest game he has ever played. Everyday he somehow manages to simultaneously sound very angry at the bugs and impressed about how much fun the non-bug parts are.
Wait until his save games are all gone. It seems many have it right away, others can play 60 hours in then BAM!

Last edited by a moderator:
lol this takes me back. played fallout 2 almost through, then applied a patch, boom all my savegames are corrupted and can't be fixed. Fuck that. My little brother played new vegas and told me it was fun. I was going to get it for 360 but now I think I'll complete fallout 3 100% first before I take my chances. I hate this attitude. I am pretty sure the devs are not cool with this and it's a publishing issue. I want to spend my money on an actual game, not some glitchy mess that they might patch over the next couple months if the gamers ask nicely.

thanks for the heads up dave.

EDIT: oh yeah, I forgot about ninja gaiden 2. The game wasn't finishable and hella glitchy on release, they took like a year to release a patch, and then they released a bug fixed version on ps 3 only that added a load of cool content and screwed everyone else. They even added a coop mode. So I actually paid for an unfinished beta of a ps3 exclusive. WTF?!

The 40 hours I put into the PC version were pretty bug free, except for some weird things involving rendering that made crashes, so I had to lower the POV a spec, after that, all was fine.

xnopasaranx said:
lol this takes me back. played fallout 2 almost through, then applied a patch, boom all my savegames are corrupted and can't be fixed. Fuck that. My little brother played new vegas and told me it was fun. I was going to get it for 360 but now I think I'll complete fallout 3 100% first before I take my chances. I hate this attitude. I am pretty sure the devs are not cool with this and it's a publishing issue. I want to spend my money on an actual game, not some glitchy mess that they might patch over the next couple months if the gamers ask nicely.

thanks for the heads up dave.

EDIT: oh yeah, I forgot about ninja gaiden 2. The game wasn't finishable and hella glitchy on release, they took like a year to release a patch, and then they released a bug fixed version on ps 3 only that added a load of cool content and screwed everyone else. They even added a coop mode. So I actually paid for an unfinished beta of a ps3 exclusive. WTF?!
Well Bethesda seemed pretty okay with releasing glitchy messes with the last two games...

DaveC said:
Wait until his save games are all gone. It seems many have it right away, others can play 60 hours in then BAM!
It's all good. That particular glitch seems to only affect the XBox version. He's playing it on PC.

SONY said:
Dave, mate! Mine (PS3 version) is all good~ Apart from 5 freezes in 70 hours, it's awesome, imo.   B)

I've had the PS3 copy since launch and have encountered no bugs at all while playing.

Yeah, mate.
41598_133694619990622_5075_n.jpg

WizardStan said:
DaveC said:
It's all good. That particular glitch seems to only affect the XBox version. He's playing it on PC.
I guess the PC has alot more options for patching.

I would get the PS3 version but the video output sucks on it compared to my 360. The PS3 has no VGA output only HDMI so my TV always scales the image which makes everything a bit blurry. The 360 with VGA looks as sharp as a PC monitor with 1:1 pixel mapping possible. I have heard of allot of bugs and freezing on the PS3 too. I guess that is still better than losing your save games.

I guess the PC version would be a possibility but I hate playing games with a keyboard. It is just not comfortable to me.

Too bad these companies don't care about fixing the bugs anymore.

DaveC said:
I guess the PC has alot more options for patching.
Indeed, and it's gotten a few. Still a long way to being a complete game, from what he's told me though.

I think Call of Duty had more bugs at launch than FO:NV imho, it reaally ruined the game.

DaveC said:
I would get the PS3 version but the video output sucks on it compared to my 360. The PS3 has no VGA output only HDMI so my TV always scales the image which makes everything a bit blurry. The 360 with VGA looks as sharp as a PC monitor with 1:1 pixel mapping possible. I have heard of allot of bugs and freezing on the PS3 too. I guess that is still better than losing your save games.
On my TV I can turn off scaling, it leaves a little bar along the tops and sides, and I mean a tiny bar, to notice it you need to get right up to the screen, and it makes HDMI a lot sharper. I don't have a PS3 though, I notice this on my computers when I have them hooked up to the TV.

DaveC said:
I guess the PC version would be a possibility but I hate playing games with a keyboard. It is just not comfortable to me.
Wow, I'm the oposite when it comes to FPS games. Just get a controller for your PC.

DaveC said:
Too bad these companies don't care about fixing the bugs anymore.
I notice that more and more buggy games still sell as well as working games. It gives these companies no incentive to fix things. I think PC owners are more picky because they are used to patches where console owners are used to bugs lasting forever, PS3 was the first for Sony to have patches and the Wii was the first for Nintendo. Xbox was the first for Microsoft though so kids that grew up with xbox only might expect patches.

Back