GP2X Vincent Opengl Es 1.1 Implementation

I had a read through of the presentation that "hmw" linked to (top of page 3 in this topic)... lots of useful information in there. And i think that through that presentation there was a link to pdf report sort of thing about getting OGRE to run on PocketPC... i've also seen a lot of new stuff about getting OGRE/OpenGLES and Vincent running on Linux based Embedded Systems.

Some things i'm a little worried about though - i dont want to pick up a project (or even attempt one) if there's one (or several!) in the works that people are really interested in doing. I mean, this sort of thing would be soooo useful, and i want to see it done and completed... but the last thing we need is an overload of incomplete systems. Also, i've not really done that much 3D code (messed around with OpenGL and DirectX, but thats high level next to this!).

I have the week off work next week, so i think i may sit down, lock myself in a dark room, get myself a large supply of caffienated drinks... and see what i can belt out.
Who knows, something good might actually come out of my brain :unsure:

Jawdy posted on Sep 1 2006 at 01:17 AM said:
I mean, this sort of thing would be soooo useful, and i want to see it done and completed... but the last thing we need is an overload of incomplete systems.
Go for it! A few people have some more-or-less working 3D code but releasing a library for general use is a different matter entirely. I know I have no plans to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jawdy if you really want to see it done, have some free time, and are very willing to do it then go for it. theres but people that started messing with it but no one has put forth a full effort to make a complete implementation that others can use. don't worry about overlapping anyone elses work because everyone seems to want someone to pick this up and you would be providing a great service for all devs if you did this.

I'm just developing in wireframe for the moment until someone comes up with a decent 3d library. I know it will come, so I will just carry on for the time being.

Even a wireframe engine that does hidden line removal would be fun to program. It could allow for some sweet games even without having good graphics artists, and I bet you could have some complicated shapes and still render at a decent speed. With no textures, it could run well on the 940 also...

Dzz posted on Aug 30 2006 at 05:52 PM said:
Jawdy posted on Aug 30 2006 at 07:04 AM said:
PokeParadox posted on Aug 30 2006 at 01:54 PM said:
Well I know when this topic originally came up, I had the interest, but not the time! Now I have the time, but I'm having trouble in using the lib properly in my own projects. :/

Also for whatever reason, a lot of people didn't realise that Vincent was a 3D library... I saw many topics when it was originally released here, where people were talking about 3D engines and such, and they hadn't heard of Vincent.
Are you using some 3rd party 3D engine? Or trying to build your own? Or you not want to tell us? ;-)

I've only recently been looking into implementing 3D on the GP2X, but have the time, and a relatively large team who can work on it - but any advice and/or help would be greatly appreciated!!!
You could check out the Edge library:

http://www.edgelib.com/

Various people are playing with their own homemade 3D code (including me), but making a well-rounded library with a documented (or worse: compatible with some standard) interface isn't everybody's idea of fun.

I haven't seen any reports from people who have tried the current version of Vincent... maybe it isn't bad...

EDGE lib demos for the 2x always hang and go back to the main menu. I'll fix that problem because Elements Interactive is near my house :lol:

linkie http://www.edgelib.com/index.php?node=about

Wow, i thought that the sheer mention of doing/starting/finishing a 3D library would have gotten me flamed!

Saying that though, I'm really happy that you're all wanting this... and I totally understand that most of you don't have the time for such an undertaking.

I'll tell you all this though, I have the week off work next week, so starting from Monday I shall have a 5 day blast at this, and see where I can get. Once I have some idea, then I'll let you all know how I got on, where I think I can take this, what help I will be screaming for - all that jazz.

So, watch this space! And wish me luck!

Jawdy posted on Sep 2 2006 at 11:47 AM said:
Wow, i thought that the sheer mention of doing/starting/finishing a 3D library would have gotten me flamed!

Saying that though, I'm really happy that you're all wanting this... and I totally understand that most of you don't have the time for such an undertaking.

I'll tell you all this though, I have the week off work next week, so starting from Monday I shall have a 5 day blast at this, and see where I can get. Once I have some idea, then I'll let you all know how I got on, where I think I can take this, what help I will be screaming for - all that jazz.

So, watch this space! And wish me luck!

I would just be happy with a screamingly fast asm-crafted flat triangle shader and Z-buffer ..... :D

(which I know I will end up having to do myself :-()

Anything happened to this then?
I got sweet F.A. done during that week - wound doing some decorating instead of developing... well, the word started with a "D" so I guess that's close enough.

Have been looking and following some other stuff - working my way through 3DICA tutorial-thing from demo teams ICA and Hubris... which is getting "somewhere".

My bad for lack of updates.

Back